Thread: Where should my humidity be?

BobbiesZoo

Default Where should my humidity be?

Sherman is still spending a lot of time not doing much, sorta just got the "skin" up over his eye and hangin' out. Seen him TRY to eat, he isn't very good at it. But, the cricket numbers are reducing, so he must be gettin' something right. Anyhow, I got a thermometer and humidity gauge. It wasn't quite warm enough, so just installed a bigger bulb. Well, it was warmer when I got home, of course, but w/the crazy weather we've been having, I don't think winter is quite over just yet. I can probably go w/the lower bulb in summer. So, where should the humidity be at...didn't see it on the care sheet unless I looked right at it. Currently I'm keeping one side fairly wet (the side w/out the bulb/uth), but should I switch sides or keep the whole thing wet? I have a strange paranoia that if I get the side w/the heat mat to wet, it will crack the glass, any reason to think it will do so?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Where should my humidity be?

Quote Originally Posted by BobbiesZoo View Post
    Sherman is still spending a lot of time not doing much, sorta just got the "skin" up over his eye and hangin' out. Seen him TRY to eat, he isn't very good at it. But, the cricket numbers are reducing, so he must be gettin' something right. Anyhow, I got a thermometer and humidity gauge. It wasn't quite warm enough, so just installed a bigger bulb. Well, it was warmer when I got home, of course, but w/the crazy weather we've been having, I don't think winter is quite over just yet. I can probably go w/the lower bulb in summer. So, where should the humidity be at...didn't see it on the care sheet unless I looked right at it. Currently I'm keeping one side fairly wet (the side w/out the bulb/uth), but should I switch sides or keep the whole thing wet? I have a strange paranoia that if I get the side w/the heat mat to wet, it will crack the glass, any reason to think it will do so?
    70% to 80%, but they can handle a range. Occational jumps to 90% are fine for short periods of time.

Nationality
    [United States]

Is your UTH under your tank? Put it on the side if so. If you peel it off it will likely eff up the wiring inside and it gets super hot (it will melt, start a fire), so that sucks if you have it underneath. I live in the mountain west and its still really cold here at night (the last week has been in the 30s), and during the winter significantly colder. I keep all my herps in a room with a small space heater that keeps it at 75-82 F. I use lights only for heating purposes on my frogs (most don't even have a light), and have the lights hooked up on a zoomed hydrotherm that auto-regulates heat and humidity.

My GABF does not have a humidity system hooked to the hydrotherm. I maintain a water feature in 2/3s of a 40 breeder with a good cannister filter. I hand mist the substrate if it gets dry (it never does). If you keep the sub. under your light wet, it will humidify very well by evaporating the surface moisture of the substrate. Just mist it 1-2 times a day to keep it damp.

What kind of gauges did you get? Analog or digital? Digital gagues are typically more accurate, but many often are still lacking.

What other questions do you have?
    Thanks
    DW

BobbiesZoo

"What kind of gauges did you get? Analog or digital? Digital gagues are typically more accurate, but many often are still lacking.

What other questions do you have?"

Analog. I'll mist under the light. Humidity is not nearly high enough. Yes, UTH is under the tank. I suppose I could get another and put on the side, if needed. So far, w/the new light, temp is good. Now, to get a UVB light as well....???

Nationality
    [United States]

UVB is unnecessary. I do use an old reptiglow 2.0 just for lighting for aesthetic purposes and to see well into his setup.

Cover about 85 percent of your cage top with saran wrapped cardboard cut to fit. That'll hold in your humidity better. Make sure you leave 10-15 % open for ventilation. That should bump up your humidity.

Another option is a good water feature that is deep enough for him to fully submerge. Relative Humidity (RH) is not as important this way.

-----------------
    Thanks
    DW
    Thanks
    DW

Nationality
    [United States]

Oh ya...as far as the UTH goes. If your frog burrows to the glass on top of the UTH there is a chance of him getting burned. They're pretty smart, and prob. Wouldn't do this, but just in case most people either don't use UTH or place them on the side.

-----------------
    Thanks
    DW
    Thanks
    DW

BobbiesZoo

Default Re: Where should my humidity be? A brainstorm (or bad idea...)

"Another option is a good water feature that is deep enough for him to fully submerge. Relative Humidity (RH) is not as important this way."

This gives me an idea!!! I have a spare PetMate dog fountain bowl. Would that work, like a waterfall (ugly, but hey, I already got it, so it's free)? Or do they prefer still water? They use little charcoal filled filters. I might need to place some flat rocks or something in the bottom, for now, so it's not too deep. What do you all think of this?

Nationality
    [United States]

The filter will need changing almost daily. These guys will fowl the water fast. Obviously you would want to sterilize it before using. As long as the water isn't rushing its fine. Depth is the important part. He will need to be able to get in and out as well.

-----------------
    Thanks
    DW
    Thanks
    DW

Thread Information