Thread: My vivarium build adventure

elery

Default My vivarium build adventure

so after a few months i am almost set to start. i really wanted a naturalistic terrarium more than a fake plant one. just because i have alot of health problems and i cant go outside and enjoy flora and fauna, And i have always loved frogs, growing up as a child we had really big green tree frogs and many many other types which i grew to love. Although until recently i never imagined keeping 1 as a pet, i now have 3 little froglets.I got them in mid march, and they were morphed and almost fully lost their tails about 2 weeks in to April. 2 have always been bigger than the 3ed ever since tadpols, they grew super fast and the smallest one (AKA dickery) lost its tail 100% first. than the medium size 1 (AKA hickory) and at least a week later the bigger 1 (AKA dock),
    I'm not sure why they are so different sized they were same kind of tadpols from what i could see. and they look alot the same new but ye the 2 bigger ones are now double the other 1 size ( i worry they will eat the smaller one but i don't think it can quite fit in their mouths yet, and i did not really want to separate them unless i really have to cause they seem to be friends.

i will put a photo up sometime of them 3 of them. just thought id make my own little post that i can post how my build and frogs are going. and id like to be able to look back and say wow look how small they were etc etc

I am only waiting on my drift wood and some rocks,
    last night i got itchy fingers so i decided i might have a little try at seeing how all my stuff works together etc. and a little test for the real thing.
    its only a very small tank. but i wanted to do it with the water in the size also, (i regretted building it up so high after cause it looks odd but its just a temp holding a tank while i work on their real one.)

i chose to use CANNA CLAY PEBBLES are baked clay pellets. this was the only type i could find in australia. i got them from ebay , a score in price to what other shops selling them would have been with their postage, on ebay the postage was free. yay!!
    i washed it and put it on bottom around 3 or 4 cm i guess..

than my fiberglass fly screen, which i also bought on ebay. cause it was easy to..
    than i got my little stones tryed to make some kinda dam in it which was hard with the type of stones i had and lack of silicone etc, i just slapped them in hoping they be ok, although once i put my Easy Wetta Coir-Peat Brick which i got at bunnings, than my plants and finally sphagnum moss on the top layer,

ok so it looks to build up to me, and quite small to my, but it will be a good little holding room for my froglets. and i know what i do not want to do with my big build.
    i will need to work out how to build the land bit better, which i will find easier i believe with my wood. and testing a few things out, also the mesh i used. i was careless at 1 point and pushed out the land area to try make less dam area and ended up with tiny bigs of the coir-peat fall down the edge to bottom, but i know to keep a eye out next time

ok so now its done ish, i put my frogs in last night.
    just to test them in it, but i cant see them since i put them in ( apart from 30 mins after when i ripped the thing to bits looking for them.)
    they burrowing in to the moss and such and i can not find them at all, its stressing now knowing where they are atm cause they are so small and i like to see them here n their but so far they have not shown them self.
    now im thinking wow how will it be in their big tank?? will i be able to ever see them. also i believed i have ether spotted or striped marsh frogs ( i thnik striped as as they aging they changing their color to like them)
    but im not 100% sure, id love to know before i set up their real home to half wet half not.

also i have no filter or light in the little tank, eventually i will prob change it and add a small compact light. but for now it is as it is, my bg one will have the lot though.
    big as in bigger than this 1, but still small

now the way i have made it i do not know if it will be ok to do same with the big tank, with out a false bottom but just using them clay pellets as substrate.. id like to do it this way but i do not know it its the wrong way... so heads up would be nice.

i will start adding pics as i take some. i had a little time this morning so decided to write out my post while i had time, pics to come later today hopefully

and should i be concerned i cant see my babies ??? will they suffocate them self under the moss or anything???
    the 2 big ones i tweezer feed they feed great, but the little poxy dickery he is this little fragile dainty thing which wont eat bigger crickets, only tiny pin heads etc atm, i still remove it for feeding time and put him in a container with some little crickets so they easy for him to catch and i can count how much he eats, i really thought i was going to lose him when they morphed cause he morphed first, but did not eat for much longer than others. he got pretty thin and i stressed it would not make it but than all of a sudden he started eating. i hope it catches up in size with the other ones. they so cute i adore them so much, they really have given my a extra joy in my life that i was missing.

i should be fast with them pics me thinks haha looking at all my typing and no pics. guess i got over excited hah

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

elery

Default Re: My vivarium build adventure

Name:  frog viv temp 2.jpg
Views: 411
Size:  89.0 KBName:  temp viv.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  70.9 KBName:  3 baby frogs.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  47.4 KB

elery

Default Re: My vivarium build adventure

I would really love to know what kind of frogs i have, They are from central Queensland. i was told they were a marsh frog, spotted first but now i think striped?? I'm not really sure any ideas would be great.

Thread Information