Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Red Eye is loosing to much wieght

Jessie

Default My Red Eye is loosing to much wieght

Hi I purchase my 3 Red eyes in febuary and two are very fat and happy the third started to loose weight 3 weeks ago but he was getting longer and shedding So I thought Froggy teenager hood ( I have 2 at home I know about that ) Last week he had dropped so much weight that his feet were skinny not a good thing that and he was looking a bit Lathargic and his legs didnt sit as well underhim. Keep in mind I dust there food nightly and feed the crickets cricket food and those orage gel blocks and water gel. But I found out from this site that feeding them freerange was a bad thing so I will correct tonight I also took the wrong advice on hydration keeping it between 50 to 35% and it jumping to 80% during fogging once a day or when needed and I sprayed 2 a day but it wont stay Hydrated I had a waterside to the tank but I took it out 3 weeks ago because of it leaking to the landside I have ecco earth and moss and clay balls as substrate in layers. Im thinking He was Dehydrated and maybee stressed as of Friday night 6 days ago his in a hospital tank, ( would you use papertowels or moss I had papertowels in there but couldnt keep the hydration up) he is getting up and down his tank and im feeding him Reptile ensure by ZooMed ( not likeing the maditory feeding But no one goes hungry in this house Damit) giving him spring baths in Smart water and will be getting the med kit suggested this weekend When I get paid He is looking more energetic on day three of the feedings and I do give a live food option fruit Flys and pinheads. Is there anything else I need to consider guys im splitting the fogger between the two tanks I thought my small holloween foggers would work no such luck the Lights are pretty maybee he will enjoy the mood lighting. Poos ok nothing moving at least it does look like ensure though and moister than usual Skin ok a dark green but he is usually in the leaf shadows not in full Lamp light. Should I worm ( i thought more on the Metronidizole side of things since I didnt see anything moving but I also saw that a symptom of protozoa was slime and abundance of it he looks normal wetness to me Any ideas i will post pics as soon as im home at work now

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Banned
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: My Red Eye is loosing to much wieght

1.) DO NOT DUST YOUR CRICKETS EACH NIGHT...should be 2 -3 times a week.
    2.) whats the age of the frog? do you have photos?
    3.) Does your hospital tank have MOIST papertowels (almost watered down) (do you change out the papertowels EACH day)

other than that .. i think your doing ok.

Jessie

Name:  169.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  52.9 KBName:  170.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  39.7 KB

Jessie

Name:  169.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  52.9 KBName:  170.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  39.7 KB

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Jessie View Post
    Hi I purchase my 3 Red eyes in febuary and two are very fat and happy the third started to loose weight 3 weeks ago but he was getting longer and shedding So I thought Froggy teenager hood ( I have 2 at home I know about that ) Last week he had dropped so much weight that his feet were skinny not a good thing that and he was looking a bit Lathargic and his legs didnt sit as well underhim. Keep in mind I dust there food nightly and feed the crickets cricket food and those orage gel blocks and water gel. But I found out from this site that feeding them freerange was a bad thing so I will correct tonight I also took the wrong advice on hydration keeping it between 50 to 35% and it jumping to 80% during fogging once a day or when needed and I sprayed 2 a day but it wont stay Hydrated I had a waterside to the tank but I took it out 3 weeks ago because of it leaking to the landside I have ecco earth and moss and clay balls as substrate in layers. Im thinking He was Dehydrated and maybee stressed as of Friday night 6 days ago his in a hospital tank, ( would you use papertowels or moss I had papertowels in there but couldnt keep the hydration up) he is getting up and down his tank and im feeding him Reptile ensure by ZooMed ( not likeing the maditory feeding But no one goes hungry in this house Damit) giving him spring baths in Smart water and will be getting the med kit suggested this weekend When I get paid He is looking more energetic on day three of the feedings and I do give a live food option fruit Flys and pinheads. Is there anything else I need to consider guys im splitting the fogger between the two tanks I thought my small holloween foggers would work no such luck the Lights are pretty maybee he will enjoy the mood lighting. Poos ok nothing moving at least it does look like ensure though and moister than usual Skin ok a dark green but he is usually in the leaf shadows not in full Lamp light. Should I worm ( i thought more on the Metronidizole side of things since I didnt see anything moving but I also saw that a symptom of protozoa was slime and abundance of it he looks normal wetness to me Any ideas i will post pics as soon as im home at work now
    Hi Jessie,
    You are doing a great job ! Please keep us posted.
    I think you should seriously consider worming him? What does his poop look like.
    You can use the metro and the panacure at the same time.
    I believe the meto may be in order, their illnesses are more NOT bacterial.
    Therefore the metro covers a more broad spectrum of issues they are prone to.
    It will also increase their appetite.
    Patience is necessary, as it can take weeks for them to get better.

Some information here for a hospital set up:
    http://www.frogforum.net/tree-frogs/...-supplies.html

Wondering what vitamins and calcium brands you are using?
    A schedule of alter brands may work nicely for you.
    Do you bowl feed?

Lynn
    Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”
    Phyllobates terribilis "Orange"
    Phyllobates bicolor "Uraba"

Oophaga pumilio "Black Jeans"
    Oophaga pumilio "Isla Popa"
    Oophaga pumilio "Bastimentos"
    Oophaga pumilio “Mimbitimbi”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Colubre"
    Oophaga pumilio "Red Frog Beach”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Branco"
    Oophaga pumilio “Valle del Rey”
    Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"
    Oophaga pumilio "El Dorado"
    Oophaga pumilio "Cristobal"
    Oophaga pumilio "Rambala"

Oophaga “Vicentei” (blue)

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga sylvatica "Pata Blanca"
    Oophaga histrionica “Redhead”
    Oophaga histrionica "Blue"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"
    Oophaga histrionica "Tado"

Ranitomeya variabilis "Southern"
    Ranitomeya imitator "Varadero"
    Ranitomeya sirensis "Lower Ucayali"
    Ranitomeya vanzolinii

http://www.fernsfrogs.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ferns.frogs

Jessie

To Corey( I think their 4 1/2 months old. Thanks for telling me about the dusting no wonder i have almost gone thru a can of calcium (we also have a BDragon) and Do you mix your vitamin and calcium together I was dusting Cal everyday and once a week I would do the vitamin.

Yeah this was yesterday afternoon in his Smartwater bath. He looks so much better this morning I hed him twice last night with 4 hours in between. Finaly got the holloween foggers to work so he doesnt have to share it with the others. I am taking the moss out tonight would have done it last night but my luck when I was messin around with everything I blew a Circuit in the house and had to move everybody. Figured one more day in the swamp wouldnt hurt a dehyrated frog. Hey to everybody out there That Fluker`s Repta+Boost helped us out of a jam He looks so much better this morning he fleshed out a bit overnight to where we dont see his ribs and noggen bones so much he was even setting by the bowl with pedialite. I think we will feed him twice at night and once in the moring till his legs flesh out a bit.
    To Lynn Yeah I will be getting there hospital stuff on friday Thanks for letting me know I can give the both meds I thought I would have to wait a week between worming and metro. I went thru all their poop it looked fine (as for the other 3) Pepes Looks like baby spitup (color due to the repta milk stuff and mucus-ie but nothing moving Im sure of it looking for the last 3 days. And I was feeding them free range (bad idea) will move to the bowls tonight. Let me ask you guys this how do you keep the stuff from escaping the bowls. Been feeding them (pin heads and Fruit flys) although we ran out last night ( Damn dragon eating me out of house and home LOL) They had some wax moths mmm mmm (I Know I blew there Diets and fed them all Fast food They loved it) I think it the thrill of the hunt it was fun watching the dragon leap to catch flying prey. Peppe had the last of the pinheads and flys and Repta milk. Thanks guys for all the good advice I am feeling better about things

Boyfriend said that he was probably stressed like every Boy teenager in a room full of teenage girls (im thinking we have three girls) Allowishus is hard to tell cause He/she is a smaller breed little Grass Frog)

Jessie

corey I was using paper towels but moved to moss 2 days ago for humidity because of the foggers but know that the foggers are working ill move back to paper tonight

Banned
    Nationality
    [United States]

Ok CALCIUM (with D3) should be dusted on crickets 3 times a week. VITAMINS (be carefull with) use maybe 2 times a month. You can actually go without vitamins but if you do DO NOT OVERDUE it. EVEN LLL REPTILE llc. will say try to avoid overdoing it because it can be very harmfull to your frog. (spoke with them last week about this exact situation). Looks good...dont forget to change your paper towels daily and try to not touch your frog AT all in hospital tank and 2 weeks after you feel he/she is back to normal.

Nationality
    [United States]

To Corey( I think their 4 1/2 months old. Thanks for telling me about the dusting no wonder i have almost gone thru a can of calcium (we also have a BDragon) and Do you mix your vitamin and calcium together I was dusting Cal everyday and once a week I would do the vitamin.

Yeah this was yesterday afternoon in his Smartwater bath. He looks so much better this morning I hed him twice last night with 4 hours in between. Finaly got the holloween foggers to work so he doesnt have to share it with the others. I am taking the moss out tonight would have done it last night but my luck when I was messin around with everything I blew a Circuit in the house and had to move everybody. Figured one more day in the swamp wouldnt hurt a dehyrated frog. Hey to everybody out there That Fluker`s Repta+Boost helped us out of a jam He looks so much better this morning he fleshed out a bit overnight to where we dont see his ribs and noggen bones so much he was even setting by the bowl with pedialite. I think we will feed him twice at night and once in the moring till his legs flesh out a bit.
    To Lynn Yeah I will be getting there hospital stuff on friday Thanks for letting me know I can give the both meds I thought I would have to wait a week between worming and metro. I went thru all their poop it looked fine (as for the other 3) Pepes Looks like baby spitup (color due to the repta milk stuff and mucus-ie but nothing moving Im sure of it looking for the last 3 days. And I was feeding them free range (bad idea) will move to the bowls tonight. Let me ask you guys this how do you keep the stuff from escaping the bowls. Been feeding them (pin heads and Fruit flys) although we ran out last night ( Damn dragon eating me out of house and home LOL) They had some wax moths mmm mmm (I Know I blew there Diets and fed them all Fast food They loved it) I think it the thrill of the hunt it was fun watching the dragon leap to catch flying prey. Peppe had the last of the pinheads and flys and Repta milk. Thanks guys for all the good advice I am feeling better about things

Boyfriend said that he was probably stressed like every Boy teenager in a room full of teenage girls (im thinking we have three girls) Allowishus is hard to tell cause He/she is a smaller breed little Grass Frog)

Hi Jessie,

>hospital stuff on friday Thanks for letting me know I can give the both meds I thought I would have to wait a week between worming and metro. I went thru all their poop it looked fine (as for the other 3) Pepes Looks like baby spitup (color due to the repta milk stuff and mucus-ie but nothing moving Im sure of it looking for the last 3 days. And I was feeding them free range (bad idea) will move to the bowls tonight. >

Since this little guy is so young ----double check with the vet as to using both at the same time. He may recommend the panacur 1st?
    More importantly, does the vet know the frog's weight in grams !!!!!!! Please make sure. Use a little food scale?
    Put him in a covered container, then ....of course subtract the weight of the container.

It just about impossible to 'see' the parasites. It also depends on the parasite and its stage of development. You could get a fecal done.

When supplementing for several frogs housed together the disadvantage of supplementing too infrequently can occur.
    If you decide to give vits twice a month - you want to be real sure all the frogs got a proper dose!

Consider a routine / alternating the use of more than one vit/calcium product. ie:

Rep-Cal Supplements
    Rep-Cal Supplements Calcium
    Repashy Superfoods :: RETAIL SALES :: By Product Name :: Calcium Plus :: Calcium Plus 4 oz BAG - Repashy Ventures - Distributor Center

Get some 2-5 week old crickets. You want large 'pin-heads'. Crickets will not climb out of a bowl. I use clear glass so the frogs can see through. For the first few days, overlap feeding both ways until you are sure they are climbing up onto the bowl. The bowls I use are in the supermarket in the re-usable food container section. ?rubber maid/ or pyrex? with 3" sides.

Lynn
    Current Collection

Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"

Ranitomeya vanzolinii

Jessie

Thanks guys Yall are A life savor

Jessie

Hi Lynn I sent Dr Frye an email about whats going on and asked to get Metronidizole and Baytril I will try and get Panacur today locally. Vitamins Repcal Herptivite ,Rep-Cal Calcium Phosphorous Free - No Vitamin D. Does he send you the stuff you ask for ( in the hospital kit )or is it on a need basis

Jessie

Im going to weigh him tonight again he didnt registar lasttime I weighed him cause I put him on plastic clearwrap on the food scale and it didnt pick up anything Ill try it again tonight I might have set it wrong my hubbie uses it For when hes building recipes so it might be on the wrong setting

Jessie

Yep not thinking Im a good froggie mommy. Alowishes is up in froggie heaven thought he was pretty healthy he was jumping he had looked like he was gaining weight but we found him dead this morning with bloat . Pepe is still Rail thin but getting the medicine he needs and he is moving around alot more and I did stop all calcium this week ( I was giving them all Repta boost with pancur in it didnt want to over Vitamin them for there once a week treatment. But I will dust their food tonight Changed them all except for pepe to a tall feeding jar buried in there substrait I did think it was working till last night when I saw there was only 1 cricket left. Perrie excaped thru where the fogger wire comes into the tank I had been bobbing the fogger up and down in the water I guess it opened that hole up between the screen and the Aquarium enough to squeak thru I have taped it up now to keep Felicia in . Tore the living room apart looking for him still cant find him The last time I saw him was night before last I thought he was hinding in the follage yesterday morning we looked allthru the tank backside ,underneath and behind everything pulled all bookcases out last night looked again this morning. cant find him anywhere. I feel lost I didnt think I would loose a healthy one I was so concerned about Pepe that well it almost became a mission to save him that I let everything else slide even my human kids, the dragon, and Hubbie were neglected. I hope pepe recovers and I hope Perrie shows his little *** up so I can rehydro him! at wits end not sure if Pepe kicks it to start over again or give up

ICFrogs

Yep not thinking Im a good froggie mommy. Alowishes is up in froggie heaven thought he was pretty healthy he was jumping he had looked like he was gaining weight but we found him dead this morning with bloat . Pepe is still Rail thin but getting the medicine he needs and he is moving around alot more and I did stop all calcium this week ( I was giving them all Repta boost with pancur in it didnt want to over Vitamin them for there once a week treatment. But I will dust their food tonight Changed them all except for pepe to a tall feeding jar buried in there substrait I did think it was working till last night when I saw there was only 1 cricket left. Perrie excaped thru where the fogger wire comes into the tank I had been bobbing the fogger up and down in the water I guess it opened that hole up between the screen and the Aquarium enough to squeak thru I have taped it up now to keep Felicia in . Tore the living room apart looking for him still cant find him The last time I saw him was night before last I thought he was hinding in the follage yesterday morning we looked allthru the tank backside ,underneath and behind everything pulled all bookcases out last night looked again this morning. cant find him anywhere. I feel lost I didnt think I would loose a healthy one I was so concerned about Pepe that well it almost became a mission to save him that I let everything else slide even my human kids, the dragon, and Hubbie were neglected. I hope pepe recovers and I hope Perrie shows his little *** up so I can rehydro him! at wits end not sure if Pepe kicks it to start over again or give up

So Sorry For Your Loss

Jessie

Thankyou It is much harder than I ever expected I wish I had found this site sooner I would have done alot of things diffrent Yall are pletheria of information that you just dont get from normal info sites

ICFrogs

Thankyou It is much harder than I ever expected I wish I had found this site sooner I would have done alot of things diffrent Yall are pletheria of information that you just dont get from normal info sites
    I had the same situation.
    I was too late to Help my Rocco.
    and have done so much to help the ones I have left due to the Helpfulness of this Forum.

Jessie

Happy Day guys Pepe has pulled thru and is Picking up Weight and is hunting now Last night was the first time I have ever seen my frogs hunt Cause usually the wake up about my bedtime. I am so very happy that he pulled thru, I thought it was Perrie that had excaped But we started looking at Freckle placement and Felicia that had pulled the houdini excape out of the cadge and we have turned that house upside down looking for her Hopfully she made outside or we will find her in a bathroom soaking up steam. My outlook is good I still have two and boy and a girl No one will have to live alone. Perrie is getting to be so grown up looking almost as long as the Redeyes we saw at the reptile show. And its so nice to Know that I have gotten the Meds That can help them if needed and I have a little more knowlwage about my pets So I can take better care of my pets Thanks Guys Yall are awesome!

Jessie

I spoke to soon and Mother nature decided what was best for Pepe, as in all life Pepe just wanted to go out in style Came home last night he had passed This sux.

Nationality
    [United States]

I spoke to soon and Mother nature decided what was best for Pepe, as in all life Pepe just wanted to go out in style Came home last night he had passed This sux.
    Hi Jessie,
    I'm so , so sorry
    If there is anything I can do to help, please let me know.
    Lynn
    Current Collection

Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"

Ranitomeya vanzolinii

Nationality
    [United States]

Hello Jessie! I'm very sorry for your frogs death . Can you please bring me up to date with status of remaining frog (Perrie)? Specially interested in what are you giving it other than food. Agree with others in that you should not mix CA supplements with multi-vitamins; and the last should be lightly used and never more than once a week. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information