Thread: Looking for filter recommendations

Default Looking for filter recommendations

I just moved to a new apartment and somehow during the process killed my Aquaclear 70. I don't really know what happened, but it wouldn't turn on when I plugged it in. I'm not very tech savy so I don't plan on trying to fix it, but I'm looking for suggestions on a new filter. Right now the tank has a Tetra Whisper 40i on it which I used to use with the Aquaclear.

About the tank: 40 gallon breeder, 6 adult ACFs, 1 tiny white cloud minnow. I'd like to eliminate the need for the second filter by getting a good replacement. I'm planning on adding sand substrate and some hardy (novice-proof) plants. I'm looking at canisters, but my concerns are noise and frog safety (my guys are talented escape artists). I'm open to all suggestions and I'd love to hear what your experience has been with your larger sized tanks. Thanks in advance!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Looking for filter recommendations

I use an Eheim 2217 on my 40B, it's so silent I have to touch the unit to know it's running. The water flow does not hurt the frogs at all and is rather gentle and I use a glass lid and I cut the plastic back strip to fit the filter perfectly so *zero* chance of escape.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

IRT AQ 70; remove impeller and clean it well. Using a soft brush clean the hole and shaft were impeller sits and then reinsert impeller and ensure it moves freely. Then plug motor and if impeller does not move, then motor is bad. Those things rarely break; I've got over 1/2 dozen and they are 10 years old.

If interested in a power filter nothing beats the AQ 110 (500 GPH). I've used those in 65G tanks with a 12 in. cichlid and they are very powerful and as easy to service as the other in series. Also it runs on 14 watts which no canister can touch. If going with canisters, do look at the Rena (medium should do) .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

I'm running a Fluval 306 on a 180 litre (47 gal) tank. I haven't used any other canister filters to know how it compares. I've also only been using it for a couple of months so I can't say how it functions in the long term, but it's been perfect so far. I keep it in a cabinet right near my bed and I can't hear it at all. Like Michael, I have to touch it to know it's running. The flow is adjustable, but I have it on full and it's not too much for my frogs. When I do my water changes, there's hardly ever anything to siphon off the sand any more because the filter does such a good job.

100+ Post Member Louis Charles Bruckner's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I have a fluval 405 and I love it.
    For a canister filter maintenance is so easy and can do it with out spilling a single drop.
    and you can control the flow very easily.

I have used it for almost 3 years so far and never a moments problem.

Thanks for the tips! I'll check these out and make a decision. I appreciate the help!

Thread Information