Thread: Newbie FBT with questions

speedy

Question Newbie FBT with questions

I recently purchased my first fire bellies about two or three weeks ago. I ended up getting 3 after I researched up on them, Shelby, Pinto, and Beetle (my bf named them after cars they resemble lol). I really don't know what gender they are, however I *think* 2 are males and 1 is a female. One is about two inches with an orange belly. The other two are about an inch long with red. Mine are not green, they are a dirt brown color. The orange bellied one (Shelby) is a totally different color than the others. She/he is more of a olive-brown color. I don't know what species they would be.

I feed them every other day for the most part. I am using mealworms I breed until I can get some more crickets (the pet store always seems to lose the crickets in shipping to cold weather). I gutload my mealworms and I dust them in calcium powder (I know I need vitamin powder, I just have to wait til Sat). I give them about three or four each...is that too much food? They kind of look pudgy but they nearly nip the things off my hand when I feed them. How many days a week should I be dusting their bugs?

Another silly question...two out of the three do the mating call. Will they breed on their own without the winter/spring cycle if say when I bought them they sat on my counter where it was cooler and now are in a warmer spot, combined with all the extra food? I ask because every night I hear the calling (do they call outside of mating season?). On top of that, about 3 days ago I saw what I wonder was mating. The one frog was on the other in the mating position but I got the behind view-when it was over. I don't know how to avoid getting overly descriptive on what I saw lol, so I'll leave it at that.

Thanks for the help

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Newbie FBT with questions

Hello Speedy and welcome to FF ! Have you had a chance to read the forum's care article for your frogs: Frog Forum - Fire-Bellied Toad Care and Breeding - Bombina orientalis and relatives. Hum, can see frogs resembling Beetles and Pintos; but a Shelby... !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

speedy

Quote Originally Posted by Mentat View Post
    Hello Speedy and welcome to FF ! Have you had a chance to read the forum's care article for your frogs: Frog Forum - Fire-Bellied Toad Care and Breeding - Bombina orientalis and relatives. Hum, can see frogs resembling Beetles and Pintos; but a Shelby... !

Thanks. I did read the care sheet (that was also one of the articles I read on these guys before I decided on them). I am not trying to breed them, I just wondered if they are happy enough if they were going to do it, regardless of the cool down period or not. I think I am feeding them way more than the pet store was, they were thin and boney looking, now they are plumped up. Just wondered if I am overfeeding, or if they stop eating when they are not hungry.

He picked the name Shelby because she (or so I think it's a she) is long and sleek, she has less bumps on her back. Pinto was very scrawny at first and Beetle is short and really fat.

kroberts009

i usually dust twice a week, and feed every other day (on average)

i ony have two, but when i feed i throw in anywhere from 4-6 crickets (small), and when i do feed mealworms, i put in 3-4 worms per each frog. i personally would rather happy chubby frogs, then skinny boney ones. lol

speedy

Thanks! I think one of my questions got answered if this is an egg...

http://www.frogforum.net/fire-belly-...22485-egg.html

Thread Information