Thread: Blue-sided tree Frog (Agalychnis annae)

Banned
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Question Blue-sided tree Frog (Agalychnis annae)

LOOKING FOR Blue-sided tree Frog

Agalychnis annae

WILL BE BILLING TO PURCHASE -OR- DO A TRADE FOR RED EYE TREE FROGS.
    LOOKING FOR 2 MALES and 2 FEMALES..but will suffice for less.

ON A SECOND NOTE: I note i noticed theres are located in the same location of costa rica so i could house these together no harm no foul correct? I also heard a rumor i could interspecies breed these 2. Is this correct?

Thanks

Corey

Nationality
    [Canada]

Default Re: Blue-sided tree Frog (Agalychnis annae)

Oh holy hell! If you find some you have to save me some babies pleeeease!!!! (only the pure bred Annae tho) I will love you forever!!!!!!!!!

Banned
    Nationality
    [United States]

They are on the endangered species list due to the fact that fungus has killed 50% of the population since 2009 so its going to be really hard to find these.

Nationality
    [Canada]

I know that's why I am mad at Mike Novy for not breeding them anymore. I could not find anyone else that bred them.
    He was selling groups for breeding but I didn't have the money then.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

I would recommend against keeping different species together, regardless of how closely related they are. Even related species can have vastly different behaviors and requirements. Secondly, not all red eyes originate from Costa Rica, and even those that are found there do not share the same exact biomes as agalychnis annae. Annae like it cool, from 65-72F, while callidryas are comfortable between 70-80. It may not seem like a big difference, but it is a matter of life and death to them - red eye might tolerate a temperature of 88F briefly, but that same surge will quickly kill a yellow eye/blue sided. Vice versa for lows of under 60. It's more than just temperatures - different species bring different toxins and microorganism colonies into a living environment, where they can wreak havoc on individuals not adapted to, or lacking immunization against them. I know from personal experience that annae do NOT like having foreign species in the cage with them, and tend to stress easily from such incursions.

Also, there are many reasons not to hybridize species, not least of which is the fact that it can lead to abnormalities and sterilization in the new organism, needlessly causing it to suffer.

Quote Originally Posted by CJ PELCHER View Post
    LOOKING FOR Blue-sided tree Frog

Agalychnis annae

WILL BE BILLING TO PURCHASE -OR- DO A TRADE FOR RED EYE TREE FROGS.
    LOOKING FOR 2 MALES and 2 FEMALES..but will suffice for less.

ON A SECOND NOTE: I note i noticed theres are located in the same location of costa rica so i could house these together no harm no foul correct? I also heard a rumor i could interspecies breed these 2. Is this correct?

Thanks

Corey

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

As of last year, a guy named Seth K. was selling froglets. I don't know (doubt) if he's still working with them, but you can try texting him about it at 636-295-2157.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine View Post
    I know that's why I am mad at Mike Novy for not breeding them anymore. I could not find anyone else that bred them.
    He was selling groups for breeding but I didn't have the money then.

7. This member thanks killerecho for this post:

Banned
    Nationality
    [United States]

is he ok with posting his phone number like that? I dont want to surprise him like that unless hes ok with it?

Banned
    Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by killerecho View Post
    I would recommend against keeping different species together, regardless of how closely related they are. Even related species can have vastly different behaviors and requirements. Secondly, not all red eyes originate from Costa Rica, and even those that are found there do not share the same exact biomes as agalychnis annae. Annae like it cool, from 65-72F, while callidryas are comfortable between 70-80. It may not seem like a big difference, but it is a matter of life and death to them - red eye might tolerate a temperature of 88F briefly, but that same surge will quickly kill a yellow eye/blue sided. Vice versa for lows of under 60. It's more than just temperatures - different species bring different toxins and microorganism colonies into a living environment, where they can wreak havoc on individuals not adapted to, or lacking immunization against them. I know from personal experience that annae do NOT like having foreign species in the cage with them, and tend to stress easily from such incursions.

Also, there are many reasons not to hybridize species, not least of which is the fact that it can lead to abnormalities and sterilization in the new organism, needlessly causing it to suffer.

Thanks for the help on this one... I have enough tanks to house many different species of frogs... but just curious =P

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

He posts this number freely on dendroboard for trading other items so I'm guessing it's fine if you text him. Just don't harass him with several calls a day

Thread Information