Thread: My Fire bellies

Creamballman

Default My Fire bellies

Hey all. I have two fire bellies (bombina orientalis), one yellow-ish, and I am pretty sure a female, and the other dark green (their backs). The second one seems to change color a lot. He also always mounts the female, who is smaller than him, and does this eagerly for the past few weeks. The always sends a release call when he mounts, unless i am mistaken and they are both males. I know that they both can call.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Amber Gyore

Default Re: My Fire bellies

It's really hard to tell the sex of these species. One of my first toads is very obviously male. He is the only toad out of my five that has a constant call and amplexus all the "females", however just today I noticed two of my supposedly female frogs (who were taken advantage by my male on multiple occasions), are exhibiting the same actions. I'm not sure if this species care about sex when they mount, of it they just mount anything that moves. But from what I've seen, my one male and four females may actually be three males and two females. And I still can't be certain.

Creamballman

yeah, but I know for sure at least one is male, constantly mounting and sometimes seeming to drown the other. Its a cycle:
    They're friends, then they call, then the second the other moves he mounts viciously, then he seems to realize the other is rejecting him.

Creamballman

The other one has some lime green on him, when I got him from the pet store he was more brown-ish. He also seems to change color at night, getting bigger warts and darker.

Amber Gyore

Quote Originally Posted by Creamballman View Post
    yeah, but I know for sure at least one is male, constantly mounting and sometimes seeming to drown the other. Its a cycle:
    They're friends, then they call, then the second the other moves he mounts viciously, then he seems to realize the other is rejecting him.
    Sounds VERY familiar, lol.

Thread Information