Thread: First Toad - some questions

Ajuki

Default First Toad - some questions

Hey all! I'm new to FBT's and I was reading a bunch of threads here before I joined. I was looking for something to replace the turtles (since we upgraded a tank for them) old tank. I happened upon some FBT's in a pet store after doing research on a lot of other type of non-fish tank pets. I did some good prelim research in the store deciding on my buy but I have a few questions outside of all the research I've done.

I've named my buddy "Houdini" and I'm not fully done with his tank. I've been looking for a log and some green stuff other than the moss for him. He's in a 5 gal tank. I figured with it saying anywhere from 3 to 5 in a 10 gal tank that he'd be okay on his onesies in a 5 gal. I can't really look to upgrade further, since it won't fit on the shelf that the tank is on. I got him on Monday and his color has stayed vibrant and he always seems to be in a different place when I go to visit him.

We got small crickets for him for the week. My boyfriend is saying he should be on medium crickets, but I'm not sure. No where really says what size to get your toads. Also there is no definiate on how many crickets he should be getting per feeding. I plan on feeding him every other day, and partial changing his pool water on the off days (this way he doesn't associate food with water changes). Is this too often to me messing in his tank? He seems to have been taking to it okay, but I don't want to stress him out.

The bathroom has been hovering around 64 degrees or so and I'm afraid that this is too cold for him. The water is usually around the same or off a few more degrees between 61-62. I've had a low watt (15 energy saver) bulb in but tonight we're trying out the old turtle bulb, keeping a monitor for a peak high to see if its okay. I'm afraid of it drying him out though. We have been spraying down the moss in the morning and at night with the low watt bulb.

Here's a few pics of my Houdie:

This was right after I got him.

Today he realized he can fit behind the pool. I'm wondering if I should fill it in or let him blend there...

He seems to love this bit of moss. He's always burrowed or ontop of it.

Hangin out

Spider toad... spider toad!

Thanks for all the help, I know it's a lot of questions. I really like to take good care of my pets.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: First Toad - some questions

The pebbles and the loose moss are a bit risky, accidental ingestion of either of those while chasing down crickets won't end well. I would use coco fiber(eco earth) for the land. Little flower pots turned onto their sides make great hides for these guys. they like to squeeze into tight spaces I would just leave it be. You want to feed crickets that are about as long as your toads head is wide. I feed mine 5-7ish each every other day.

Sent from my LG-P930 using Tapatalk 2
    2.0 Bombina orientalis
    1.0 Bufo americanus
    0.1.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    0.1 Xenopus laevis

All my arachnids and other inverts listed in my profile

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by MatthewM1 View Post
    The pebbles and the loose moss are a bit risky, accidental ingestion of either of those while chasing down crickets won't end well. I would use coco fiber(eco earth) for the land. Little flower pots turned onto their sides make great hides for these guys. they like to squeeze into tight spaces I would just leave it be. You want to feed crickets that are about as long as your toads head is wide. I feed mine 5-7ish each every other day.

Sent from my LG-P930 using Tapatalk 2
    I agree with Matthew on the loose moss and pebbles. Perhaps you could feed in a seperate container or do what I do, tong feed. Welcome to the wonderful world of FBTs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I agree on the loose moss and rocks. You can use live moss grown in sheets with no loose pieces.

FBT's love to have friends...might be worth moving to a 10 gallon to add a buddy .

60's is too cool. You could add a UTH (Under Tank Heater) pad to the outside of one end of the tank. You'll need to get temp up to 70-75'F during the day for proper eating and digestion. Be sure to turn the lights on during the day and off at night to maintain a good day/night schedule.

Here is the forum's care sheet .
    http://http://www.frogforum.net/cont...relatives-123/
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

MantisMan

if u r burrying the bowl just use the peat moss stuff u expand from a brick, use gravel to make a land/water AREA and i use spaghmum moss to cover land gravel
    it sticks to itself when real wet
    u should only use spring water and temps should be between 68 and 72, a lamp with a 40 watt bulb is fine for this, and DO NOT use a water heater

Ajuki

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I will look into doing the sheet moss thing. Do you have to buy more everytime you clean the tank? I was able to pick him up a nice land hide and some fake plants when I got some more crickets for him. We were using the turtle moss as sorta a waypoint until I could get that stuff, and it was what I was given to transport him home in so I didn't want to freak him too much with a whole new set up. I'm going to try for the place I got him at and see if I can get him a little friend. He looks a bit sad at being alone.

Ajuki

I wanted to update youse on Houdini. I've gotten him a friend which we've named Copperfield (or Copper for short). Copper is bigger than Houdie but it all seems to be okay so far.

Copper has become very bright since we've brought him home but Houdini has dulled. I'm hoping its because he's adjusting to another toad in with him again because he's always been very bright since I got him. He's also moving around more, he used to just chill in the water and not do much else except eat once in a while.

You all will be happy to know that I've changed the tank around drastically too. Here's an updated pic of the new tank:

9. This member thanks Ajuki for this post:

Amber Gyore

Looks really nice, and your frogs have some really nice colours. Well done

kroberts009

amazing transformation from the first tank to the second... well done! i personally have 2 in a 5gal/prism shaped type of tank, and they get along just fine with that amount of space. thank goodness mine dont climb! lol log the caption, spider frog! spider frog!

ive had my toads for over 7 months, and i still feed them small crickets. generally rule of thumb is the distance between the eyes. but even if you go a tiny bit over, its not that big of a deal. i throw in on average 4-6 crickets every other day.

Nationality
    [United States]

Your new set-up looks very nice; congratulations !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Ajuki

Thanks everyone for the compliments on my tank

Quote Originally Posted by kroberts009 View Post
    amazing transformation from the first tank to the second... well done! i personally have 2 in a 5gal/prism shaped type of tank, and they get along just fine with that amount of space. thank goodness mine dont climb! lol log the caption, spider frog! spider frog!

ive had my toads for over 7 months, and i still feed them small crickets. generally rule of thumb is the distance between the eyes. but even if you go a tiny bit over, its not that big of a deal. i throw in on average 4-6 crickets every other day.
    Thanks. Houdini doesn't climb anymore but Copper still will when I'm changing the water out. I have to keep the screen resting on the other side of the tank when I'm in there lol

I had some medium crickets at one point because it was all I could get at the time and he would eat one (maybe 2) every few days. However I seem to be a GREAT cricket keeper because half of them grew wings. :O. I got him some tinys and he's actually hunting now. I have a little food bowl for the crickets and he stakes it out. So cute. Copper swooped up all the not-quite-large ones the first night I got them (thank goodness).

Nationality
    [United States]

The tank looks great! Your frogs look good too.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

kroberts009

Quote Originally Posted by Ajuki View Post
    Thanks everyone for the compliments on my tank

Thanks. Houdini doesn't climb anymore but Copper still will when I'm changing the water out. I have to keep the screen resting on the other side of the tank when I'm in there lol

I had some medium crickets at one point because it was all I could get at the time and he would eat one (maybe 2) every few days. However I seem to be a GREAT cricket keeper because half of them grew wings. :O. I got him some tinys and he's actually hunting now. I have a little food bowl for the crickets and he stakes it out. So cute. Copper swooped up all the not-quite-large ones the first night I got them (thank goodness).

great to hear!

usually in my case, i only have the option of small or large at the petstore... so i get small.. and every now and then i cant go through them fast enough, and they do grow wings... lucky for me, i also have a turtle that loves large crickets... who think they can run fast enough to get away from her.... LOL now thats a sight to see!

Ajuki

I'll have to keep that in mind next time some get too big. My BF has a few turtles....

Thread Information