Thread: Feeding woes

reptileszz

Default Feeding woes

Hi all, has anyone ever had an ACF look like they are eating but spit out everything? I thought Alvin was eating but he has spit out xenopus express pellets, hbh pellets and reptomin. Not sure what to make of that. He is like "screw you" I want live? I did give him one red wiggler on Friday just to see if he would eat which he did. I attempted to feed pellets yesterday which he showed no interest in until later in the day when he tried an hbh pellet and spit it out. Just now I thought he was going to eat the xenopus express sinking pellets but nope, spit them and some hbh out. I held out a piece of reptomin to him and he grabbed it and spit it out... What gives here? I thought these guys were such pigs?

Any ideas?
    Carole

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    North Providence, Rhode Island, United States
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Feeding woes

Problem is, he is being offered too much variety so he is learning that he can wait until something more tempting comes along. Best to stick to one type and fed in little doses until he eats properly.

Try fasting him for a few days then feed what you want to be his staple. Trust me, when he is hungry he will eat. When not tempted with other treats he will learn to love what you feed him.
    72 Gallon Bow - ACF and GF tank.
    26 Gallon Bow - ACF tank.

20 Gallon Long - ACF tank.

"If there were an invisible cat in that chair, the chair would look empty. But the chair does look empty; therefore there is an invisible cat in it." C.S. Lewis, Four Loves, 1958

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

It can be frustrating dealing with froglettes sometimes. I often wonder if these frogs with bad eating habbits would be gonners in the wild and perhaps are not ment to be. I have had pigs and birds as far as eating habbits go, you just have to stick it out, remove the variety until they love your staple food, and be consistent. EVENTUALLY they will figure it out and put on some weight.

reptileszz

OK tough love it is. I am going with the xenopus express pellets as they seem like a good staple at least for the short term, and easy to feed.

Thanks!
    Carole

Sharra13

Wow that sucks. I am really lucky that my frog is a piggy--she'll happily eat either blood worms or the boring pellets I give her without hesitation. She even tries to eat the turkey baster while I am sucking away the dirty tank stuff, my fingers, or anything else that goes near her tank.

Thread Information