Thread: Toad with red leg! Please Help!

Nenegoba

Default Toad with red leg! Please Help!

I have a sonoran desert toad I just got not to long ago, has just got red leg and I dont know what to do! I have been soaking him in salt daily which is 1 teaspoon each soak I want to cure him but dont know how and why he got sick? If anybody could help it would be much appreciated!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

demon amphibians

Default Re: Toad with red leg! Please Help!

READ THE ARTICLE HERE AT BBC NEWS | Science/Nature | Frog killer fungus 'breakthrough'
    this is the page to the red leg cure good luck.

4. This member thanks demon amphibians for this post:

Nenegoba

Thank you so much the only problem is getting my hands on that eye ointment! :/. Is it from over the counter medicine? Like visine or something like that.

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

It looks like you will have to get it from a doctor. I can't find it OTC.

Nenegoba

Really how would I do that? You think visine would help?

Nationality
    [Canada]

I don't know. Maybe you could ask a vet? I would not use Visine. The medicine is called Chloramphenicol and from what I read has an antibiotic in it. Makes sense since red leg is a bacterial disease... I know this sounds crazy, but maybe you could talk to your doctor and see if they will give you a prescription?

Nenegoba

Thank you for your feedback iI was thinking the same thing about the doctor!! but imI'm taking my toad to the vet on monday! So illI'll ask if not illI'll see my doctor to see if he can perscribeper scribe it for me! But i dnt think that will work :/.

Nationality
    [United States]

Hello Richard! Did you took frog to veterinary? If so what is outcome? I'm a bit confused here with advice because as far as I know; Red Leg is a bacterial (Gram-) caused disease due to prolonged stress or lacking habitat conditions that debilitate the frogs immune system. Treatment is correcting the cause and maybe antibiotics: How to Care for a Sick Frog with Red Leg Disease: 8 Steps.

Chytridomycosis is an amphibian disease caused by a fungus "Batrachochytrium dendrobatidis that could present itself in cases of Red Leg (frogs immunity is compromised); or not. If so; then veterinary help is usually required since it's deadly too. Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nenegoba

Hello Carlos I did not take him but I was giving him salt bathes and after 2 weeks the red leg cleared up and now hes all better. I didnt know it was caused by stress and habitat conditions though. Thank you all for your help! Im glad he is better and I will read your care instructions.

Thread Information