Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Little toad doesn't give a poop... literally and I'm worried.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Little toad doesn't give a poop... literally and I'm worried.

My Banjo (female EAT), hasn't made a poop in a couple of weeks. I'm bad with time, but the past few baths (with and without honey) have yielded nothing but an annoyed little lady. I've searched around and haven't found anything in her tank. They're usually so large, I think I'd notice them.

She hasn't gone on her own (that I know of) since those awful phoenix worms. I'm worried they did something to her, being passed whole and semi-alive. Honey soaks and rinses were done once a week.

Lately, I've been concerned she was addicted to honey soaks so I've been feeding her mainly european nightcrawlers. She's looking quite fat, but I don't *think* she's gravid. Only because I didn't think she was old enough, having grown from 1.25in to 2.5in since the end of Sept. With just worms eaten off a plastic plate and a few baby dubia eaten out of a bowl, I don't know what could be clogging her up. I've tried heating one side of her tank, from the bottom, hoping to help with her digestion, but no luck there.

She was just doing this thing in her water dish, sort of washing her face, and kicking at her butt with her heals/thighs/ankles/?. The face wash was one hand at a time, but the butt thing was both, and going in the opposite direction of a shed, like she was trying to squeeze something out of herself. She didn't tho. 2nd time I've seen her do this. I just helped her off with some shed skin yesterday, so maybe there's more I don't see. That's another thing: with good humidity in there, why isn't she getting her skin off like she used to? I moved some plants and her log hide around for added cover, in case it's stress. I don't know what else to do for her.

I don't want to feed her if she hasn't pooped. Thought that just worms would make her go, but it hasn't so haven't given her any since Tues. Today would be the day she'd get more, but I'm going to wait. Not sure how long. Don't want her to go for too long without calcium and vitamins. But I don't want to her to explode, either. Again, I don't know what to do here.
    "We like our choruses sung together, we like our arms in our brother's arms...
    We sing with our heroes 33 rpm, we're never goin home until the sun says we're finished,
    and I'll love you forever if I ever love at all,
    wild hearts..."
    1.2.0 Felis Catus - "Zoey" "Mouse" "Casey"(step-cat)
    0.1.0 B. a. americanus - "Banjo"
    1.0.0 Myotis lucifugus - "Fiendly" rest in peace, buddy. 06/15/13
    Rest in peace my sweet Ukulele 01/29/14

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member Gnag the nameless's Avatar
    Nationality
    [Canada]

Default Re: Little toad doesn't give a poop... literally and I'm worried.

I've heard that if you gently rub the frog/toads sides during the honey soak, it can help. Just a thought.

Otherwise, I'm not sure. You may want to see if you can find any other remedy for impaction online. Hopefully, someone with more experience than me will comment on this thread soon. I'd suggest contacting Heather, Gail (kueluck), or someone with expertise with toads. They should be able to help.
    My Amphibians:
    1.0.0 Rana Catesbiana (Bumpy Digtoad )
    1.0.0 Pseudacris Regilla (Levi )
    1.1.0 Ambystoma Macrodactylum (Urtham and Gargan )
    2.2.0 Bombina Orientalis ( Rosa, Sasha, Aleksis, and Dimitri )

Rest in Peace, Gnag the Nameless, Chrome, and Thermidor

Nationality
    [United States]

I just felt her belly and she feels soft and squishy (no I didn't squish her) as usual. Moved down lower and her little legs extended out. I guess my hands were warm. Was able to very gently get another piece of skin off that was hiding in a leg fold. I'll have to try the unflavored pedialyte since she hasn't responded to honey lately. When I moved a fake leafy plant over into the corner to give her more privacy, I caught her in center of tank, trying to get a peek at what was going on out here.
    Here she is earlier this evening when I woke from my nap: Name:  DSC00209.jpg
Views: 1738
Size:  81.2 KB
    Here's her bum for no reason: Name:  DSC00216.jpg
Views: 1579
Size:  85.5 KB
    Name:  DSC00217.jpg
Views: 1686
Size:  84.0 KBName:  DSC00220.jpg
Views: 1749
Size:  78.9 KB
    She's so majestic, with crazy long toes: Name:  DSC00199 (2).jpg
Views: 1639
Size:  89.8 KB
    Sitting like a cat, something I've never seen before: Name:  DSC00199 (3).jpg
Views: 1740
Size:  86.6 KBName:  DSC00201 (3).jpg
Views: 1746
Size:  87.5 KBName:  DSC00202 (3).jpg
Views: 3146
Size:  88.1 KB I think she was on to me standing there, but the elbow thing is pretty cute.
    I need to see a poop soon, cuz I know she wants to eat. And also, pooping is what healthy beings do. Poor Banjo.
    Last edited by yoshimi; April 5th, 2013 at 12:18 AM. Reason: some pics didn't upload correctly
    We sing with our heroes 33 rpm, we're never goin home until the sun says we're finished,
    wild hearts..."

Nationality
    [United States]

Are you sure she's not pooping in the substrate? I know at times I think it's a clump of coco fiber, but it's really poop. I would put her on moist unbleached paper towel for a few days and feed as normal. In her water dish use water w/out honey or pedi but warm it up a little. Also you could lock up the cats and let her hop around the house for a bit. In all critters a good walk seems to get things "going" also.
    Rest in peace Rosie 5-31-12
    Rest in peace Rufus 2-7-14
    Rest in peace Morph 8-14-15

Nationality
    [United States]

If she is going in there, then I've squished up poop thinking it was dirt (I unclump clumps). Ew. That of course would mean a total changing of the substrate.

I used to warm up her water, using warm tap, until I read that tap water contains gases that are harmful. So then I started warming up her bottles of water that are just tap water that's been sitting in a bottle (hoping that makes it safer somehow) in the microwave. I think I stopped doing that when I implemented the heat mat. But come to think of it, she used to at least poop in her bathes then. Oh my gosh, she might be pooping in the dirt. Ah geez. And yes, I do have a water conditioner that removes chloramines, chlorine, and detoxifies heavy metals (at least that's what it says).

It's beginning to get warm enough to take her out for a romp in the back yard. Stretch her rubber legs. I think that's the best bet, as I could clock a neighbor cat easier than one of my own (no place to really lock them up here that they couldn't break free from, as they hate each other so they'd have to be separate). I think moist paper towels in there might freak her out, with no option to burrow. But I suppose I could try it before putting in new substrate, a batch of which I'm about to whip up.

*Bf also thinks she's pooping in there, siting how I'd watch her eat phoenix worms, but would then find them all over the place in the dirt. "She's poopin all over the place" were his words. I just assumed they had wiggled out of dish, or worse, wiggled out of her on their own. Making dirt right now, cuz it's that's the case, I've been heating up bacteria.
    wild hearts..."

Nationality
    [United States]

I use rain water, and every so often warm it up for the frogs and toads and they seem to soak for a long time when I do this. Using paper towel for a few days will be fine as long as you have pieces of wood, cork bark or plants for her to hide under. A few days of non-borrowing time will be fine.

Nationality
    [United States]

She's gone for months without burrowing, now suddenly she's all about it. All I have right now is select-a-size bounty. Great, but won't do me any good here. Unbleached coffee filters probably won't do the trick and we need those. I'd steal some rough brown paper towels from work, but that would be stealing. "What are you doing crystal?" "drying my hands" "that's a lot of paper towel." "big hands" I could ask for a raise in the form of paper towels... I've had too much coffee. I'll figure something out.
    wild hearts..."

Nationality
    [United States]

In my head I was carrying a big roll of paper towel out. Coffee filters, she could actually burrow into. They're the cone kind, so she'd be like a little toad pita.

The guy is still trying to give me his toad, btw. Until I know Banjo is ok, can't accept.
    wild hearts..."

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by yoshimi View Post
    ... She hasn't gone on her own (that I know of) since those awful phoenix worms. I'm worried they did something to her, being passed whole and semi-alive...

...I've been feeding her mainly european nightcrawlers. She's looking quite fat, but I don't *think* she's gravid. Only because I didn't think she was old enough, having grown from 1.25in to 2.5in since the end of Sept. With just worms eaten off a plastic plate and a few baby dubia eaten out of a bowl, I don't know what could be clogging her up....
    If frog is eating well... feed her! Think frog might be defecating in substrate and you could be missing it? Mmmm did she actually pooped half alive Phoenix worms? That is totally weird that they survive her intestinal tract... strange .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Mentat View Post
    If frog is eating well... feed her! Think frog might be defecating in substrate and you could be missing it? Mmmm did she actually pooped half alive Phoenix worms? That is totally weird that they survive her intestinal tract... strange .
    Yes! It was so awful. And I re-fed her the ones I found in dirt. Making her eat poop... BUT I DIDN'T KNOW! Not til she pooped out a bunch in a soak, then in her water bowl. Found a clump of them and found it so odd, that I sniffed it - poo. I guess she couldn't break down their casing. They may have been semi-old. Poking a small hole before feeding just made them stop moving, and useless. I have a post about it with pics somewhere. It's got a poll too.

About to take her out in yard for a romp and some sun and fun, and dump the dirt she's been living in.
    wild hearts..."

Nationality
    [United States]

She pooped, she pooped, she pooped!!! Took her out for a romp and some sun. She did a lot of sitting, but some hopping and walking and quite of bit of trying to burrow. I got pics and video of that. Fed her a calcium dusted worm, too, after our outdoor time, so she'd feel more at home in smaller bin while I'm letting her new dirt dry out a bit. She ate it right out of small bowl. That's my girl! Also pics of the poop she just took. It's usually bigger (which may be because of less food or that she has been going in old dirt I dumped out, and more cylindrical, but that may be due to her jumping around in there before I noticed. Rinsed the poop water off of her, and placed her in temp home before I pulled out the camera.
    Name:  DSC00202.jpg
Views: 66633
Size:  80.8 KBName:  DSC00203.jpg
Views: 12801
Size:  79.1 KBName:  DSC00205.jpg
Views: 43960
Size:  59.2 KB It did have a scent, but they probably all did and I just never sniffed, other than suspected phoenix worm poop. It does look a little different, I hope she's not sick. I dumped this in the toilet so no way to do a fecal on this one. Ohhhh, I hope she doesn't have parasites. Happy she made a doody tho. Gave her another worm afterwords, which she scarfed down like a champ. I love her.
    wild hearts..."

Nationality
    [United States]

Video of our fun. Blame mp4 for shoddy lo quality. It's the smallest file size and uploads the fastest. You can blame my camera too, if you want. Wouldn't be out of line.

*the song is from a band I liked when I was 14, and it's been Banjo's theme song since I thought she was a boy. Still works.
    Last edited by yoshimi; April 5th, 2013 at 11:50 PM. Reason: about the song in video
    wild hearts..."

100+ Post Member Gnag the nameless's Avatar
    Nationality
    [Canada]

Honestly, who'd of thought we could get so excited about poop

A few months ago, I thought my juvenile bullfrog had eaten a small stone, and of course, I was freaking out, so I went home early from school, and in time to see her poop as well. I don't think I've ever been so happy to see poop in my entire life.

Oh, yeah, don't get me started on amphibian theme songs! Now that you've mentioned it, I gotta' name them all I need to record a video of my amphibians eating and swimming or hopping and put their theme songs in the background:
    My big, mighty bullfrog, Gnag: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uO9tyyjRd4
    My tough little Green frog, Bumpy, who is currently recovering from Tetany: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wvlm0l_AUl0
    My Salamanders, Urtham and Gargan. They've always reminded me a bit of aliens: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uggHgrQRCj0
    And of course, my cute, comical little Chorus frogs, Chrome and Levi: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mw6-QGg5Dw8

To people my age, who usually listen to Dubstep and Rap, I've got a very unusual taste in music.
    My Amphibians:
    1.0.0 Rana Catesbiana (Bumpy Digtoad )
    1.0.0 Pseudacris Regilla (Levi )
    1.1.0 Ambystoma Macrodactylum (Urtham and Gargan )
    2.2.0 Bombina Orientalis ( Rosa, Sasha, Aleksis, and Dimitri )

Rest in Peace, Gnag the Nameless, Chrome, and Thermidor

demon amphibians

She pooped, she pooped, she pooped!!! Took her out for a romp and some sun. She did a lot of sitting, but some hopping and walking and quite of bit of trying to burrow. I got pics and video of that. Fed her a calcium dusted worm, too, after our outdoor time, so she'd feel more at home in smaller bin while I'm letting her new dirt dry out a bit. She ate it right out of small bowl. That's my girl! Also pics of the poop she just took. It's usually bigger (which may be because of less food or that she has been going in old dirt I dumped out, and more cylindrical, but that may be due to her jumping around in there before I noticed. Rinsed the poop water off of her, and placed her in temp home before I pulled out the camera.
    Name:  DSC00202.jpg
Views: 66633
Size:  80.8 KBName:  DSC00203.jpg
Views: 12801
Size:  79.1 KBName:  DSC00205.jpg
Views: 43960
Size:  59.2 KB It did have a scent, but they probably all did and I just never sniffed, other than suspected phoenix worm poop. It does look a little different, I hope she's not sick. I dumped this in the toilet so no way to do a fecal on this one. Ohhhh, I hope she doesn't have parasites. Happy she made a doody tho. Gave her another worm afterwords, which she scarfed down like a champ. I love her.
    some times you just gotta let them do there thing... haha congrats its a lovely one...

Nationality
    [United States]

Yes! It was so awful. And I re-fed her the ones I found in dirt. Making her eat poop...
    I stopped feeding "pincer" type worms (mealworms, etc. which are actually beetle larvae) to frogs and fish when discovered the nutritionally superior night crawlers and similar. Even when I used them, would decapitate them before feeding because some of the larger fish would swallow whole and they were reports of worms damaging their intestinal track with their sharp pincers. IMO earthworms are the best live frog food (excepting itty bitty frogs obviously) . I'm happy your frog pooped and now you can stop stressing .
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

17. This member thanks Mentat for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

I had the same thing happen, supplier emailed me and said to pierce the worm before feeding it to my toad. I had a thread on this issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mentat View Post

Nationality
    [United States]

Good to see her pooping again, it's a beautiful thing. Looks like she enjoyed her jaunt around the yard, now not only is she gonna give you that "feed me now" look, she'll have a "wanna play outside" stare.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Gnag the nameless View Post
    Honestly, who'd of thought we could get so excited about poop

A few months ago, I thought my juvenile bullfrog had eaten a small stone, and of course, I was freaking out, so I went home early from school, and in time to see her poop as well. I don't think I've ever been so happy to see poop in my entire life.

To people my age, who usually listen to Dubstep and Rap, I've got a very unusual taste in music.
    Right?! I was pulling my hair out over this. Don't usually photograph her poops (aside from when they were phoenix worms), tho I've seen some whoppers.

I probably listen to exactly what people my age (30) listen to (some of them), but I only figure that out when I hear the Lumineers on the radio. And you know what? That pleases me. I'm no hipster.

Quote Originally Posted by demon amphibians View Post
    some times you just gotta let them do there thing... haha congrats its a lovely one...
    Yeah, she needed to be a toad. Then eat a worm (no bugs out there, tho I was looking under rocks. And a nice warm bath. Water only. She was splashing around, I thought she was just trying to get out, but no, she was trying to escape the poo in her water. Also, she splashes right before a poop, but I wasn't watching when it went down. I hope it's a healthy enough poop. Usually it's giant logs. At least she's evacuating. And I can feed her again.

Quote Originally Posted by kueluck View Post
    I had the same thing happen, supplier emailed me and said to pierce the worm before feeding it to my toad. I had a thread on this issue.
    It's surprisingly common. Stinks that they're supposed to be such good feeders. Would like to go back to silkworms, tho they require a special chow to live past a few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by kueluck View Post
    Good to see her pooping again, it's a beautiful thing. Looks like she enjoyed her jaunt around the yard, now not only is she gonna give you that "feed me now" look, she'll have a "wanna play outside" stare.
    She just wanted to burrow, but it was a bit windy and new. I met the neighbors out back who have lived there for 2 yrs (who knew?), and had to introduce them to her so they wouldn't think I was a complete weirdo out in the yard looking at the ground for no reason. They took our swing set, but no one here swings on a toddler swing and it was decrepit so that's ok. Don't think Banjo would enjoy swinging anyway. I took my eyes off of her to chit chat, and tho she hadn't moved, I couldn't find her again. The lady had to help point her out to me. She blends, and started looking a little green of hue in the sun.
    I loved seeing her hop about!
    wild hearts..."

Nationality
    [United States]

Some pics from our outside time this afternoon. Name:  DSC00202.jpg
Views: 2049
Size:  181.7 KBName:  DSC00204.jpg
Views: 1893
Size:  183.2 KBName:  DSC00205.jpg
Views: 2237
Size:  125.9 KB
    She'd eaten a calcium dusted nightcrawler and 3 or 4 baby meal worms, so I thought she could use the exercise. Not as much hopping as I would've liked to see, at least not in an area I would consider safe (no broken glass) and too many suspicious looking birds and squirrels about. I could hear the birds chattering about the tasty toad sitting in the grass. But I think she enjoyed the fresh air, cuz now that she's in her newly cleaned home, she's did that plant climbing thing again: Name:  DSC00201 (2).jpg
Views: 1545
Size:  90.4 KBName:  DSC00203 (2).jpg
Views: 1542
Size:  88.4 KB
    Climbed down when she realized there's no exit:Name:  DSC00205 (2).jpg
Views: 1431
Size:  82.5 KB Went on to check out plant she's seen a million times before: Name:  DSC00199 (3).jpg
Views: 1558
Size:  78.0 KB
    Now she's soaking in her water bowl. Pouting, soaking, it's all the same. <3
    wild hearts..."

Nationality
    [United States]

I love the look on her face in the last one

Sent from my LG-P930 using Tapatalk 2
    2.0 Bombina orientalis
    1.0 Bufo americanus
    0.1.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    0.1 Xenopus laevis

All my arachnids and other inverts listed in my profile

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information