Thread: Odd White Behavior

Lixra

Default Odd White Behavior

About a week ago one of my White's has started opening his mouth randomly and making some clicking noises. He's seemed to go off his food recently as well and hasn't eaten the past two nights. He's still moving around at night and acting like himself otherwise.

The first thing that popped into my head was a possible RI, but don't want to jump to conclusions and rush him off to the vet, stressing him out in the process if this isn't the case.

I've separated the other two frogs (all three were kept together originally). He's being housed in a 30 Exo Terra Cube, with a coconut fiber mat as the substrate, temps are 82F warm end, 73F cool end and the humidity is at about 60%. He's still small, can comfortably sit on my first two fingers, and normally eats about 4 crickets a night (the crickets are about the small length as the distance between his eyes).

Thanks for any help you can give me

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Stardust369

Default Re: Odd White Behavior

My frog went through the phase of opening his mouth randomly. It stopped after a week or so and he's been fine since. I read somewhere on the forum that tree frogs shed - still don't know if this is true, but it was described that when they shed they often don't eat and act strangely like this.

Either way, I don't think it's a big problem, unless he starts to lose a lot of weight and keeps refusing to eat.

white's do shed nightly, however, the clicking is abnormal. there was another person on the forum who recently had the same issue with a white's. if someone doesn't post the link to that thread, i will try to find it in a little while. sorry, just got home from work, and i need to feed the family
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Lixra

Thanks so much

Yeah White's do shed, so I wasn't sure if the mouth opening was related to that in any way. The clicking was the main bit that concerned me, as well as the fact that he's not really eating at the moment, although he is pretty plump so a few days off food certainly won't hurt him, he won't be getting his vitamins and calcium that he would get on the days that I dust his crickets.

here is the thread i mentioned before, i hope it helps your little one

edit: forgot the link http://www.frogforum.net/tree-frogs/...ease-help.html
    Last edited by deranged chipmunk; April 4th, 2013 at 05:37 PM. Reason: i'm a dummy...lol
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Lixra

Thanks Bill, I had a read of that whole thread (panic levels rose a bit though!) but I know what to look out for in case it's the same situation. Haven't seen any of the "green spots of doom" as it were though. I haven't seen him doing the mouth thing at all today or make the clicking noise. He was awake when I woke up this morning so offered a cricket, which he took. That little jerk store does like to make me worry. I'll keep this thread updated if anything new changes, although I'm not sure what it was (or is).

Since he is still small, and the weather's getting warmer (only just... here in England it has been the coldest March in 100 years apparently, but we are starting to go back to the seasonal temperatures again), I don't know if the clicking noise is him trying to croak perhaps? I've never raised up White's before, so just a thought really.

Thread Information