Thread: Baby pacman substrate

Ben0918

Default Baby pacman substrate

can i use paper towels for my baby pacman or is dirt fine? i have him on dirt now and he seems not to eat on his own unless i bathe him and get him out of it

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Baby pacman substrate

Hi Ben! I tend to associate paper towels with temporary hospital or raising set-ups and not for long term husbandry of frogs. Maybe your frog was raised on paper towels and that is what it senses as normal feeding procedure. Have you tried placing a small dish with food on it right in front of frog? Crickets have a hard time escaping from glass dishes and worms will stay in it long enough for Pacman to jump in and catch them. Another option that works specially well with worms is to use plastic tweezers and then wiggle food directly in front of mouth. By the way, what kind of "dirt" are you using? Good luck!
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Ben0918

Ok I'll try that thank you!! And it's a spagnum peat moss mix.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by Ben0918 View Post
    Ok I'll try that thank you!! And it's a spagnum peat moss mix.
    OK first thing to do is to get rid of that substrate since sphagnum can be swallowed while eating and lead to impaction. What you want is shredded coconut husk sold as "Plantation Soil" (Exo Terra) or Eco Earth (Zoo Med). If buying the loose kind either brand is fine. My preference is for the loose kind since it's ready to use, but it's a bit more expensive.

If buying the compressed blocks do stay with Exo Terra's "Plantation Soil. I've found wires, wood pieces, and synthetic rope strands in the Eco Earth compressed blocks. Also, the Plantation Soil blocks are easier to rehidrate. Remember to use de-chlorinated water when re-hidrating blocks or getting the loose stuff wet. For the latter I just add water slowly while mixing with hands. No need to get it soggy; once it starts to clump when compressed in fist you are good to go.

Please also visit the forum's "Care Article's" section. There is a good one for Pacman's: Frog Forum - Pacman and Horned Frogs - Ceratophrys - Care and Breeding Good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Ben0918

On no its not actual moss it's grounded up like dirt. It's basically Eco earth but thanks for the info about the Eco earth brick ill definitely try that

Thread Information