Thread: Light bulb question

Pyxiefan001

Default Light bulb question

Asked already in the vivarium section, but couldn't get any answers.

I spotted this blue "party light" bulb at Wal-Mart. It's 25 watts and is a A19 bulb type whatever that means. When turned on it emits a more turqouise glow and was brighter than I was expecting it to be.

I was merely looking for a cheap, low wattage bulb that could use just to see my Pyxie at night without her being any the wiser. I also didn't want a heat emitting one because I was planning to place the lamp it was going to be in on top of the plastic wrap I have over half+ of the cage top to help retain humidity. Fire concern, y'know? Anyway will this bulb disturb my Pyxie at night?

I notice the Exo terra Night-Glo bulb is also an A19 type.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Light bulb question

Quote Originally Posted by Pyxiefan001 View Post

I spotted this blue "party light" bulb at Wal-Mart. It's 25 watts and is a A19 bulb type whatever that means. When turned on it emits a more turqouise glow and was brighter than I was expecting it to be.

I was merely looking for a cheap, low wattage bulb that could use just to see my Pyxie at night without her being any the wiser. I also didn't want a heat emitting one because I was planning to place the lamp it was going to be in on top of the plastic wrap I have over half+ of the cage top to help retain humidity. Fire concern, y'know? Anyway will this bulb disturb my Pyxie at night?

Should be ok if you use a dimmer switch, but these bulbs are designed to replicate the lunar cycle of the moon which is not always visible in the sky emitting light. Go with a red bulb for night viewing.

Eridu Serpent

Quote Originally Posted by Pyxiefan001 View Post

I red that RED bulbs cannot be seen by reptiles so it may be the same for amphibians?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    ...Go with a red bulb for night viewing.
    Agree! The moonlight type bulbs emit a very faint purplish light that is inadequate for observation. The red bulbs provide way more illumination that is just colored red.
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Eridu Serpent

A night time bulb such as a moon bulb is suitable if you want to view your animal...but not the ones called Moon Glo...they are rubbish!
    This is the on I have and it is very bright, in fact it annoyed me so I changed it for a red bulb instead.
    Name:  lucky_reptile_moon_lamp_ml-1.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  76.3 KB
    A red infrared bulb will provide heat and will not stress out the animal...these are used for reptiles and all manner of animals.
    If you do not want to buy one from a pet shop just get a red halogen bulb around 30wts.

Thread Information