Thread: Beginner wants a frog! Red eyed/tiger leg/whites tree frog

sarahecrisp

Smile Beginner wants a frog! Red eyed/tiger leg/whites tree frog

Hi everyone! I've been doing quite a bit of research about frogs and every website seems to have different information!! Most of my questions are on activity and temperament for now, as care sheets are usually pretty consistent among different sites.

But basically I want a frog that is simple for *beginners with an *active but *social temperament... We want a pretty frog that we can handle every once in awhile and be entertained while observing...

the three frogs that interest me the most are the red eyed tree frog, the tiger leg tree frog (phyllomedusa hypochondriallis) as well as the white's tree frog.

I like the red eyed and the tiger because they are just beautiful- one site said they are very chill and dont mind being handled as long as it is not too often but other sites say DO NOT handle the frog at all... What do you guys think about this?

The dumpy/whites tree frog seems to be a popular choice but they seem inactive and a bit...boring?

Any other frog suggestions?

Thanks so much!

Miss Blue

Default Re: Beginner wants a frog! Red eyed/tiger leg/whites tree frog

I wish I had something to add to this but I dont, I just own 4 African Dwarf frogs which are aquatic and are prob not what you are looking for, what I can say is, when you do decide on a type post pics! so glad you are doing your research, I dont think enough people do....

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Beginner wants a frog! Red eyed/tiger leg/whites tree frog

Welcome to FF! If you visit the forum's "Care Articles" section, you will find info on both Red Eyes and White Tree Frogs.
    Think the Whites Tree Frog is a better pet type animal. I'm happy looking at pets and don't really handle mine until it's time to clean their enclosure.
    Do rinse your hands off any soap or chemicals with tap water and then a final rinse with de-chlorinated water before handling any frogs. They absorb stuff through their skin and can get sick from it too.
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Beginner wants a frog! Red eyed/tiger leg/whites tree frog

Welcome .

Frogs are really the kinds of pets we observe vs hold or handle. Think of them as having fish ... pretty, but only touch when needed .

Active daytime frogs/toads are firebelly toads, some dart frog species, American bullfrogs (they get big though and need large tanks), dwarf frogs.

Here is a nice article.
    http://www.frogforum.net/content/choosing-frog-147/

If you choose an aquatic species and have never had a fish tank, it is a good idea to read up on aquariums and the nitrogen cycle in a aquarium. You'll learn a lot.

Welcome to the forum . Frogs are such amazing little critters. I hope you find the one(s) that are tonight for you.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Thread Information