Thread: Help with Wild Western Toad

lovenokia

Default Help with Wild Western Toad

I was given a wild western toad about 1 inch long by someone, unexpected, so I have to take care of it. I tried to feed this toad tonight, as it was given 5 hours ago. All I have are night crawlers, but it wouldn't eat it. I need help trying to get it to eat.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Help with Wild Western Toad

hi there
    i would think that you would need something smaller than nightcrawlers if the toad is only an inch big,
    it wont be a big deal if he hasnt eaten for a while but make sure to feed him every day.

Raising tadpoles into Frogs /Toads pt . 2 of 3 -How 2 feed - YouTube skip to 1:45 for info

this guy has gone through the same scenario with tiny toadlets, he covers feild sweeping and
    attracting friut flies for the toads, and its free! if you cant feed him, it may be best to release
    him somewhere where there is dense vegitation like a forest.

hope this helps!
    "A Righteous man cares for his animals" - Proverbs 12:10
    1.0.0 Correlophus cilliatus
    2.1.0 Bombina orientalis
    0.1.0 Ambystoma mexicanum
    0.0.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    1.0.0 Litoria caerulea
    1.1.0 Dendrobates auratus "Nicaraguan"
    0.0.2 Dendrobates tinctorius "Azureus"

lovenokia

okay, i measured the toad and it is 2 inches long. I went to petco and get some small crickets, and dusted them with calcium. The toad ate 8 crickets and dog underneath my coco fiber. He ate the crickets very quickly.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by lovenokia View Post
    okay, i measured the toad and it is 2 inches long. I went to petco and get some small crickets, and dusted them with calcium. The toad ate 8 crickets and dog underneath my coco fiber. He ate the crickets very quickly.
    Yay! How is he doing? Any pics?

*I got my eastern american toad (she's 2.5in long) to eat nightcrawlers through trial and error, then finally setting it on a plastic plate in tank and sitting her where she can see it move around. She loves them and has gotten really good at catching and eating them. It's a learned skill I guess. My girl is brilliant!
    "We like our choruses sung together, we like our arms in our brother's arms...
    We sing with our heroes 33 rpm, we're never goin home until the sun says we're finished,
    and I'll love you forever if I ever love at all,
    wild hearts..."
    1.2.0 Felis Catus - "Zoey" "Mouse" "Casey"(step-cat)
    0.1.0 B. a. americanus - "Banjo"
    1.0.0 Myotis lucifugus - "Fiendly" rest in peace, buddy. 06/15/13
    Rest in peace my sweet Ukulele 01/29/14

Namio

Western toads are quite hardy and requires lower maintenance than many non native tropical frogs. They've evolved to live in the Mediterranean climate that we (California) have. Just make sure your substrate is composed of only moist (not soaked) coconut fiber (such as EcoEarth), a dish/bowl of dechlorinated water, and plenty of cover/hide spots/refuge. Western toads will thrive on a diet of crickets, as long as you occasionally dust them with Calcium and vitamin. In the wild, they feed on mostly terrestrial invertebrates aka insects. These are wild animals so they can be shy and intimidated by your presence. During feeding, try to make yourself as cryptic as possible. As long as the toad feels safe it will eat like a pig. Don't forget to change and clean the waterbowl if it gets used by the toad. No additional heating, misting, or UV light are needed. Room temperature is ideal. Adult females may reach above 5 inches (like a fist-size animal) while males are quite smaller peaking at 3-4 inches. A 10-gallon tank will be plenty for an adult male. A 20-gallon tank would be ideal for an adult female.

Thread Information