Thread: Another Aurita Update

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Talking Another Aurita Update

I keep telling myself that it is important to take lots of pictures of these guys as they grow since there seem to be so few pictures of them... Like I really need an excuse to take pictures of my frogs though! These are just some quick shots. My camera phone really doesn't pick up their colors but you get the idea. The older one is growing fast. It is already 3.25 inches closing in on 3.5. I was thinking female but we have heard some strange noises coming from the frog room the last day or two that don't sound like any of my other frogs. Uh oh! LOL

The younger one is also doing very well. It eats great and is a feisty little thing. Its coloring is already getting much darker. Enjoy!

Aurita 1
    Name:  Aurita1_3.28.13_A.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  237.0 KBName:  Aurita1_3.28.13_B.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  226.3 KBName:  Aurita1_3.28.13_C.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  271.8 KB
    Name:  Aurita1_3.28.13_D.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  318.4 KBName:  Aurita1_3.28.13_E.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  284.0 KB

And Aurita 2
    Name:  Ryan's_1st_bday 092.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  135.2 KBName:  Ryan's_1st_bday 093.JPG
Views: 108
Size:  370.6 KBName:  Ryan's_1st_bday 094.JPG
Views: 109
Size:  380.1 KB

Still keeping my fingers crossed for a pair! But I'm so glad to have them regardless!

2. 2 members thank GrifTheGreat for this post:

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Locascio

Default Re: Another Aurita Update

Nice im hopeing for a pair to! ill keep my fingers crossed for you thay both look really healthy good job what is it that you are feeding them and how much? and how offen?

5. This member thanks Locascio for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Locascio View Post
    Nice im hopeing for a pair to! ill keep my fingers crossed for you thay both look really healthy good job what is it that you are feeding them and how much? and how offen?
    Super secret growth formula! Lol!! I just feed them really well. I offer them food daily. If they're hungry they will eat and with these two its never turned down. I use the same feeding method for all my frogs until they reach a certain stage in adulthood when they naturally slow their eating habits down. Then I feed them every other day to every two days.

I use Night Crawlers as a staple. Usually buy Hornworms for a treat two or three times a year and as they are growing offer babies a variety immediately. Night Crawler chunks, very young Hornworms, Waxworms, and a piece or two of Samurai Pacman Food as a treat now and then.

Don't forget to dust with supplement. These frogs need insane amounts of calcium. More so than most other frog species because of their alarming growth rate. Also I almost never use rodents, but when I do I offer nothing larger than a fuzzy. This makes it much easier on the frog's digetive system.

Nationality
    [United States]

Just to add a little information about this species that I have observed. C. aurita are sort of tempermental. This is the first species that I have ever had full blown scream at me and this was done by my oldest aurita when it was the size of a quarter. It was actually quite funny because it was so loud and shrill. Surprised me that one so little could make such a loud noise. Since then both have become used to me and don't feel threatened by me anymore.

According to Kim of Frog Ranch they have a modrate feeding responce. I feel it to be much more than this. They are aggressive feeders. Leaping from their burrow and flying across the enclosure to grab a worm from tongs with great accuracy. My youngest aurita acts like a dog with a bone when it has a worm. It has litterally grab a worm and drug it over to it's burrow to sit there and eat the worm. I've not witnessed this from any other species. They also make small trenches that lead to their burrows. Like a pathway to it. Always alert and just full of personality.

These frogs like C. joazeirensis have powerful hind legs for both burrowing and jumping. Skull structure is very interesting and rigid. Having somewhat of a duckbil like jaw that angles sharply beneath the eye. Looking at the pics you can see this angle and ig almost looks as if the photos were photoshopped from two different frog. I think I'm going to try and write a log of the individual species I have listing their many differences and similarities. Might turn out to be an interesting read, but I'm no scientist so it will be easy for anyone to read. Lol!

Hope everyone enjoyed the photos. Wish Incould have captured the actual coloring.

8. This member thanks GrifTheGreat for this post:

Locascio

Very good update thankyou grif im looking forward to reading your log on these frogs. i trust you wount keep us waiteing lol

10. This member thanks Locascio for this post:

Nationality
    [Canada]

THANK YOU Grif! that was an awesome update and totally great looking frogs! damn it, i want now aurita too.

and by the way if you really need an excuse to take pics just think about the ways i will harass you if there will be no pics lol
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

12. 2 members thank Lija for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Lija View Post
    THANK YOU Grif! that was an awesome update and totally great looking frogs! damn it, i want now aurita too.

and by the way if you really need an excuse to take pics just think about the ways i will harass you if there will be no pics lol
    Don't worry Lija Lol! I keep track of them as they grow and usually take photos in the process to make sure we document how well they are doing. It was due for another update and so was the youngest.

Locascio

*pokes grif with a stick* more pics more pics are we there yet! *poke*

Thread Information