Thread: The more I read the more confused I get.

Hidr

Default The more I read the more confused I get.

What is the best beginner set up for FBT's? Gravel, dirt, bowl of water, tank of water? What is easier to keep clean and not have to move out the frogs very often? I need something easy to understand and light work. It does not have to be cheep just easy.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Hidr

Default Re: The more I read the more confused I get.

I have figured out this much. I prefer a bowl of water that I can change out daily.

Sent from my Kindle Fire

100+ Post Member Gnag the nameless's Avatar
    Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Well, smooth pond stones are probably the most natural, with a glass divider for the land area, of which could be compromised of topsoil or coconut fiber, with a layer of moss on the top. Or you could build up the smooth stones to form a land area, I did that with my juvenile Bullfrogs tank. But it's your choice.
    My Amphibians:
    1.0.0 Rana Catesbiana (Bumpy Digtoad )
    1.0.0 Pseudacris Regilla (Levi )
    1.1.0 Ambystoma Macrodactylum (Urtham and Gargan )
    2.2.0 Bombina Orientalis ( Rosa, Sasha, Aleksis, and Dimitri )

Rest in Peace, Gnag the Nameless, Chrome, and Thermidor

Adam R

if you wanna get real easy you could have an external filter or a filter that can sit in the tank. then have your tank filled up just a few inches with water. just have wood or rocks coming out of the water for a perch. they dont need much

Hidr

Now that sounds more like what I would like to start with. Then later as I learn more go with a planted tank.

Hidr

Ok so this simple set up is what I have them in now.
    I have a few more questions. If/when I do a planted land/water set up how do you go about cleaning it? Would it be like a fish tank once the water cycles only have to do is water changes? Or would I be digging up plants and changing dirt too? Would it be easier to clean if I use pots?
    The reason I ask is I can get a 10 gallon and do a set up I can break down without a lot of trouble. But if I can fix one up that I don't have to break down or even take off the shelve that I would have to put it on cause it would be to high for me I have a 45 gallon tub I can set up for my three FBT's.

Adam R

the plants will help filter some of the waste, they do that naturally. if you have a small, in tank water filter, that will do all the cleaning. im not sure how much waste fbt's produce, but i doubt you needed to get too crazy with cleanup. also 10 gallons seems to be a great size for just a few fbt's

100+ Post Member Gnag the nameless's Avatar
    Nationality
    [Canada]

Well, I only use smooth stones for substrate in my bullfrogs tank, and I've got a powerful filter (fluval U2) and bio-filter, so I do 50% water changes every 3-5 days, and I've never had a problem, even though it's a bullfrog that's in there. And bullfrogs produce a ton of waste.
    My Amphibians:
    1.0.0 Rana Catesbiana (Bumpy Digtoad )
    1.0.0 Pseudacris Regilla (Levi )
    1.1.0 Ambystoma Macrodactylum (Urtham and Gargan )
    2.2.0 Bombina Orientalis ( Rosa, Sasha, Aleksis, and Dimitri )

Rest in Peace, Gnag the Nameless, Chrome, and Thermidor

Hidr

Thank you for your input. I do believe I well stick with the 10 gallon for now.

Nationality
    [United States]

My favorite FBT setup is aquatic with a submersible filter (duettos or Exo-terra work great but there are others) and a large flattish dish filled with gravel and moss as an island. I then load the water up with plastic plants. I haven't had the nerve to try live plants yet but someday I might. Just fill the water up to the level of the top of the dish and you are set. If you have enough plants you will lose very few crickets to drowning. A bit more expensive because fo the filter (should be less than 25 bucks) Very simple and very effective.
    Steve Schindler

Hidr

Ok got my plan. Going to use smooth glass, Added a banana plant and some water wisteria (just did that to 5 gallon set up and one is already hiding in it.) I have an internal filter already and some land they are not using at all. lol So when I get the 10 gallon I well be staying with the same stuff just add more plants and a few more of the glass decorative stones.

Hidr

And now have to rethink the whole thing. So back to reading again. Right now they are back in the 5 gallon. Rocks to make some land. Corner piece to make more land. Filter and about 2 gallons of water. But this is not what I care to do for the 10 gallon. Maybe I am over thinking it. But all their dang crickets kill themselves within a an hour in the tank set up now. I just need to make sure they eat then decide what to do with the 10 gallon.

So far I am very disappointed. I just don't remember having this much trouble with the ones I had 20 odd years ago.

Nationality
    [United States]

Default The more I read the more confused I get.

How about a small glass bowl for feeding? It has to be about an inch and a half talk to keep the crickets in. You'll need to wipe it out every few days to remove calcium residue.

Put your crickets in the bowl and they'll learn to go to the bowl to eat. This will stop the drowning and allows you to see how many they eat.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Hidr

Wax worms might stay in that but crickets well just out.

Thread Information