Thread: What species of frog is capable of living without a heat source?

Nature123

Default What species of frog is capable of living without a heat source?

Hello! I wasn't sure where to put this topic, so I put it here, sorry if this is the wrong section.

Back on topic, I'm just curious, what species of frog is able to live in a room temp. environment without an external heat source? And able to withstand a few degree drop over the night. It can be any species, but I'm especially fond of Pacmans and Pyxies. Thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member Gnag the nameless's Avatar
    Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: What species of frog is capable of living without a heat source?

That's fine. I did that many times when I first joined this Forum.

I know that American bullfrogs (Rana Catesbiana), Pacific Chorus frogs (Pseudacris Regilla), Green frogs (Rana Clamitans), Leopard frogs (Rana Pipiens), Wood frogs (Rana Sylvaticus) in fact, most frogs of the Ranid family can tolerate cold nights and room temperature. Many toads of the Bufo family can also tolerate a wide temperature range.

I'm certain many other kinds of frogs can tolerate such temperatures, but I'm only sure with these. I'm certain someone with experience with a wider variety of frogs and toads will see this thread and give you more options.

Here are basic caresheets for some of the mentioned frogs and toads:

Toads (Bufo):
    Frog Forum - Toad Basics - Keeping ground-dwelling Toads. A care sheet for Bufo, Anaxyrus, Spea, Scaphiopus, Ollotis, Alytes, Pelobates

Pacific Chorus frogs:
    Frog Forum - Leopard Frog Care - Rana pipiens (Schreber, 1782) and R. sphenocephala (1886)

Leopard frogs (Can also work for Green frogs):
    Frog Forum - Leopard Frog Care - Rana pipiens (Schreber, 1782) and R. sphenocephala (1886)

If you have questions on keeping American bullfrogs, Wood frogs, or on any other species, just ask.
    My Amphibians:
    1.0.0 Rana Catesbiana (Bumpy Digtoad )
    1.0.0 Pseudacris Regilla (Levi )
    1.1.0 Ambystoma Macrodactylum (Urtham and Gargan )
    2.2.0 Bombina Orientalis ( Rosa, Sasha, Aleksis, and Dimitri )

Rest in Peace, Gnag the Nameless, Chrome, and Thermidor

Eric Walker

Theloderma cortical ( Vietnamese mossy frogs )can handle temps in the 60's on a regular basis.
    melanophryniscus stelzneri ( bumble bee walking toads ) handle lower temps quite well also.

mantella are also a good choice. they withstand cooler temps a lot better than new world darts. in fact, they prefer it.
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

froglover9

[QUOTE=Nature123;170222]Hello! I wasn't sure where to put this topic, so I put it here, sorry if this is the wrong section.

Back on topic, I'm just curious, what species of frog is able to live in a room temp. environment without an external heat source? And able to withstand a few degree drop over the night. It can be any species, but I'm especially fond of Pacmans and Pyxies. Thanks!

What is the room temperature where you live? Most frogs native to the US can survive in room temperature conditions? If you live in the south, you should be able to keep pacmans and pixies at room temperature.

Nationality
    [Canada]

if you want room temps, forget about pacs and pixies.

I'm adding M. nasuta to a list, rooms temps are ok - 70 ish
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

froglover9

Quote Originally Posted by Lija View Post
    if you want room temps, forget about pacs and pixies.

I'm adding M. nasuta to a list, rooms temps are ok - 70 ish
    I live in central Florida, and in summer room temps go above 80. In winter, temps never go below 72.

Nationality
    [United States]

Welcome to FF Nature ! You can add the Tomato Frog (Dyscophus antongilii) to the list. They can live at room temperatures as long as room is not at extremes.
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

Creamballman

I know some tree frogs can be at room temperature (clown tree frogs) but need to be misted for humidity

Thread Information