Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: General Exotics

Amphibians

Default General Exotics

Anybody have experience with this website? They currently have about every frog I want. If I get some good feedback I might be about to drop some real dough.

http://www.generalexotics.com/frogs-c-1

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [New Zealand]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: General Exotics

Hey Richie, Obviously I have not used this website....But Wow!, the Frogs. I particularly liked the Peacock ornate tree frog. Very pretty. Oh and the Waxy Monkey frog has gorgeous eyes.

Darn It, Its just not fare. You are sooooo lucky.

Amphibians

Anybody actually get some animals from them??

and Ebony, I thought the same thing when I saw that peacock tree frog, but upon image searching them I've yet to come up with another specimen so perfect. beautifal though.
    Last edited by John; March 21st, 2010 at 12:01 AM. Reason: Removed reference to my deleted post

Kurt

Yeah, there is some cools tuff over there. I liked the marbled reed frog and the Vietnamese spotted gliding frog. By the way, that peacock treefrog is a juvenile. As they mature they change color. See my photo albums to see an adult. Its labeled "big-eyed treefrog".

Nationality
    [New Zealand]

Gee Kurt, I see what you mean. Apart from the beautiful big eyes you wouldn't think it was the same frog.

Kurt

Well, it unfortunately is. I got a pair of these peacock treefrogs at a show once and about six or less monthslater they looked like the picture in my album. If they kept the juvenile colouring they would be one one of my favorite frogs.

Nationality
    [New Zealand]

You would think that the seller might have thought that was an important piece of information to point out to you when purchasing this frog. I still think its a gorgeous frog with those beautiful eyes though Kurt.

Kurt

Why would a vendor tell you it will turn "ugly" as it matures? To do so may discourage any sales of the frog.

Nationality
    [United States]

I have browsed his site in the past, but it looks to me like he sells far too many obviously wild caught animals for my taste.
    Watching FrogTV because it is better when someone else has to maintain the enclosure!

Tropicok

If the owner of General Exotics is named Eric and his info says Moore, OK then I have had some communication with him. He is only a middleman, he gets orders and then gets them from someplace in Dallas. I asked him if I could come and look at his setups and he became very rude. He said he did not have a walk-in store nor did he allow people at his house. Also said he didn't have time to chat with me unless I was placing an order. He did not mention that he raises any frogs at all. This conversation took place before the big raid on a pet/reptile distributor in Arlington (near Dallas). Just saying..............? ..that's all. No member of the herp society here has ever heard of him.

Nationality
    [Ireland]

A bunch of "dealers" were using Global Exotics in Arlington, TX (in the Dallas metropolitan area) as their source and shippers. Reptiles'n'critters is another example. They all switched suppliers after the big raid on Global.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Nationality
    [New Zealand]

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
    Why would a vendor tell you it will turn "ugly" as it matures? To do so may discourage any sales of the frog.
    To not do so would discourage any further sales. Surely they want future sales and a good rep. But I wouldn't say the frog is ugly. It pays to read up on a frog before a purchase then.

Kurt

Thats why I put the word ugly in quotation marks.

Nationality
    [New Zealand]

I suppose like any thing, there would be allot of dodgy dealers out there. If i had that kinda choice in frogs, I wouldn't be able to resist and i would be doing allot of impulse buying. As long as I had the enclosures id have the frogs. Mind you im quite busy with my measly 3 species that we are allowed to keep. I would so give any thing to go to one of those frog shows that you have over there. We have nothing like that here at all.

Kurt

There's a big one in Anaheim, California every year. The convention center is just down the street from Disneyland. The hotel I stayed in was awesome. You could make it a vaction. Rent a car and drive all over SoCal. You could go to the San Diego and/or LA Zoo, the Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach, the San Diego Wild Animal Park, Sea World and so on. You could hit the beach in Hunington or Laguna. Just writing this makes me want to go back.

Nationality
    [New Zealand]

I wish....Got to watch money at the moment, Kids costing allot. If I win lotto I'll be there in a flash.

Kurt

Good luck and remember you have to buy a ticket to win.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
    There's a big one in Anaheim, California every year. The convention center is just down the street from Disneyland. The hotel I stayed in was awesome. You could make it a vaction. Rent a car and drive all over SoCal. You could go to the San Diego and/or LA Zoo, the Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach, the San Diego Wild Animal Park, Sea World and so on. You could hit the beach in Hunington or Laguna. Just writing this makes me want to go back.
    I've found that the best way to access all of these places is to actually live here.

Kurt

When I was there I wanted to move there. I think I would love to live in either Laguna or San Diego.

Nora

Not directly related to purchase experience but the frogs being sold as Vietnamese Spotted Gliding Frogs (Rhacophorus annamensis) are another one of those juvenile color change examples like a peacock - but more so. I was looking into Annams several months back - and they only keep that coloration for a short time before becoming a muddy tree bark brown. Nice looking body form but no special color attraction as adults.
    I haven't ordered from General Exotics - I did some limited looking at the place last summer, a real mixed bag of responses, some people loved them some hated - the only thing substantial that I got from my research was that their turnover seemed fairly high with all the pros and cons that go with that type of operation.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information