Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MBD in a Green frog?

100+ Post Member Gnag the nameless's Avatar
    Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: MBD in a Green frog?

I couldn't find any reptaboost, so I got the Calcium water conditioner. If I'd known that the Electrolyte solution could've helped, I would've gotten it my bad. Here's what I got along with the pedialyte:
    Exo-Terra Reptile Calcimize Calcium Water Conditioner -3.3oz PT 1971 | eBay

I can't find reptaboost in any petstore I've gone to, 2 Mr pets stores, Petland, petcetera, so I don't know if you can get it in Canada. I'll check the Pet Habitat and any other nearby pet stores as soon as I can.

Anyways, I'm gonna go give Bumpy her 15 minute soak of a solution, 1/10 of it made up of pedialyte, 9/10 of it made up of dechlorinated water, in a tupperware container with holes poked in from the inside of the lid. Hopefully, she'll perk up a bit. I'll let you know after the soak is done.
    My Amphibians:
    1.0.0 Rana Catesbiana (Bumpy Digtoad )
    1.0.0 Pseudacris Regilla (Levi )
    1.1.0 Ambystoma Macrodactylum (Urtham and Gargan )
    2.2.0 Bombina Orientalis ( Rosa, Sasha, Aleksis, and Dimitri )

Rest in Peace, Gnag the Nameless, Chrome, and Thermidor

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]

Well, the 15 minute pedialyte bath is over, and currently Bumpy is sitting in her water bowl, and I'm going to leave her alone for the rest of the evening, except when I come in to feed my other amphibians, and of course, to go to sleep. I've placed 5 fresh, dusted crickets in a better dish, of which will be very hard for them to escape from, but easier for Bumpy to catch them from. This may sound grim, but I crushed one of each of the crickets hind legs so they can't hop out. Hopefully, Bumpy will eat some.
    My Amphibians:

Nationality
    [United States]

Default MBD in a Green frog?

That's great! I have had to do that to the crickets to before. I hope he eats for you tonight. I'll be waiting to hear.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Nationality
    [Canada]

Unfortunately, Bumpy has not eaten a single cricket. However, I went ahead and forcefed her a dusted cricket last night, since her feet were twitching so much it seemed more like they were trembling. My god, that was horrible. I certainly don't want to do that again, even though I followed the instructions in this video: How To Force Feed a Frog or Toad the Right Way !EMERGENCIES ONLY! - YouTube

One good thing is that her feet have stopped trembling, and she's pooped once (disgusting topic, I know). I'm not sure whether she'll even eat any crickets in her hospital tank. Remember, this is a extremely skittish and easily scared frog that will never eat in front of you and will duck into cover at the first sign of a predator. I'm thinking of moving her back into her refurnished 20 Gallon, and maybe set down a dish to put the crickets in so I'll know if she's eaten any?

What do you think? Also, could that calcium drinking water conditioner help out?
    Last edited by Gnag the nameless; March 26th, 2013 at 06:19 PM.
    My Amphibians:

Nationality
    [Canada]

Bad news: Bumpy hasn't eaten at all, and is getting skinnier every day. Her legs have begun twitching again, and she doesn't even seem interested in the crickets. I NEED more help on this, I'm at a loss of what to do. I spent 5 hours today just waiting for someone to at least offer advice or give help, but NO ONE has.

I honestly don't think, that at this rate, Bumpy has a chance of survival
    My Amphibians:

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Gnag the nameless View Post
    Bad news: Bumpy hasn't eaten at all, and is getting skinnier every day. Her legs have begun twitching again, and she doesn't even seem interested in the crickets. I NEED more help on this, I'm at a loss of what to do. I spent 5 hours today just waiting for someone to at least offer advice or give help, but NO ONE has.

I honestly don't think, that at this rate, Bumpy has a chance of survival
    Caspian,

Sorry you are having so much trouble.
    May I suggest you email Dr Frye or get her to a herp vet. A herp vet may be able to prescribe something that will increase her apatite. You have to get food into her! You could use Fluker's Repta Boost and/or chunks of earthworm? PM Grif to get information on where to get the best worms? ( http://www.frogforum.net/members/grifthegreat.html ) If she truly has MBD she could have a lot of difficulty even moving about. If is is MBD it can be corrected- it takes a longtime.

A herp vet will need a detailed description of what has transpired. Include the frogs weight in grams
    ( use a little food scale to weigh her). Include a measurement from the tip of her nose to her vent. Remember to mention the prior use ( frequency) of supplements. You will need advice as to how long and how frequently to use this product:

( http://www.exo-terra.com/en/products/electrolyte.php )

If you are able to order this on amazon - you could have it by friday

Dr Frye's contact information: ( he may get back to you about the exo product ? )

http://www.frogforum.net/tree-frogs/...-prepared.html

other information- including an additional link to the exo-terra eloctrolyte product that is for amphibians (is has calcium and vit D3 init )

http://www.frogforum.net/tree-frogs/...-supplies.html

Lynn
    Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”
    Phyllobates terribilis "Orange"
    Phyllobates bicolor "Uraba"

Oophaga pumilio "Black Jeans"
    Oophaga pumilio "Isla Popa"
    Oophaga pumilio "Bastimentos"
    Oophaga pumilio “Mimbitimbi”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Colubre"
    Oophaga pumilio "Red Frog Beach”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Branco"
    Oophaga pumilio “Valle del Rey”
    Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"
    Oophaga pumilio "El Dorado"
    Oophaga pumilio "Cristobal"
    Oophaga pumilio "Rambala"

Oophaga “Vicentei” (blue)

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga sylvatica "Pata Blanca"
    Oophaga histrionica “Redhead”
    Oophaga histrionica "Blue"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"
    Oophaga histrionica "Tado"

Ranitomeya variabilis "Southern"
    Ranitomeya imitator "Varadero"
    Ranitomeya sirensis "Lower Ucayali"
    Ranitomeya vanzolinii

http://www.fernsfrogs.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ferns.frogs

Nationality
    [Canada]

Thanks, Lynn

Chunks of earthworms? You mean I could kind of slip the chunks into her mouth?

I've never been able to find any Reptaboost at any of my nearby major pet stores. It's really frustrated me for a long time now.

I don't know whether I have the money for a vet trip, I've spent a lot of money recently setting up my salamanders and Chorus frogs tanks. How much would it cost? But I do want to email Dr. Frye. See his opinion.

I WILL definitely pick up that product today, and use it. I know exactly where to get it.

If she hasn't eaten or gotten food by tonight, I'm going to forcefeed her. It's stressful, but we're out of options here. I'll try to go for 2 calcium + Vit D3 dusted crickets and 1 Multi-Vitamin dusted cricket.

I don't know whether she's gotten MBD yet or not, but she can still swim strong and has some strength in her yet. She's having difficulty crawling around land, but most frogs of her kind do even if they are not sick. Even so, she does not look good. She's skinny, and looking weak. I'll get you a photo today.
    My Amphibians:

Nationality
    [Canada]

I've emailed Dr. Frye now. Hopefully, he can help me out.

Is there any way we could find out how much of that product to use? I know where to get it, actually, there's 2 stores that I know sell it, so I just need to pick it up today and know how to use it.
    My Amphibians:

Nationality
    [United States]

Hi Caspian,

I'm sorry I didn't write yesterday. Very busy day.

Lynn has listed some great information for you.

I do not know why she is not eating. That is what the vet will help us to find out. She may have a parasite? I would recommend panacur and metronidazole, but only a vet can prescribe. I would also treat your other frog in case.

She needs calcium and vitamin D. Since she hasn't eaten she isn't getting any vitamins or nutrients. This means you will have to feed her everyday until she is better. She may needs soaks from time to time also. She may need a hospital tank.

Bullfrogs are harder to force feed than others because they are very strong and they're extra slippery. They can push and pull with their front legs and kicks with their back. The wrapping in paper towel helps. The wash cloth will work but it has to be rinsed very thoroughly and avoid using any fabric softener. I would recommend only washing your washcloth in dechlorinated water. If he does has an infection of some type, you can boil the washcloth and allow it to cool. Again, moisten with dechlorinated water before holding him with it. Be sure to use a bleach type cleaner on your pot so you don't get sick using the pot after. Regular soap may not be enough. I have a designated pot for only frog items that is bleached after each use and not stored in with our regular pots and pans.

You'll need to wrap the cloth snugly around him like a swaddle. If you tip him back almost on his back and hold him snuggly (but do not squeeze him) while getting ready to feed him, they get almost limp. Bunnies do the same thing. It works well for medicines and nail trims (for bunnies). I would recommend using a thick plastic spoon, plastic med cup, or guitar pick instead of a credit card. The card is big and clumsy to work with. Have a helper handy that can put the bug in while you open his mouth. The quicker the better.

Try and stay calm. Gently talk to her. I know it sounds stupid, but the calm tone vs. frustrating words helps them stay more calm. Everyone of mine I've had to feed has learned to be calmer when i talk quietly to them rather than when my sighs would sneak out. They can feel your stress. Just try your best and know you are helping her.

On the water. Test strips come in little bottles in the aquarium section. They have little color coded charts on them for easy reading. The strips are inside. You just hold the strip at one end and dip it in the water. Wait the proper amount of time as instructed on the bottle. It's usually only a few seconds. Then compare to the chart.

If there is ammonia in the tank then a stronger bio filter is needed. Your water changes are fine. Usually once a week is good if you have a good bio filter. A bio filter is a filter in which good bacteria that help to break down nitrogenous waste (caused by fish and frog urine and feces) into safer nitrates, live within the filter pad(s). Look up on the Internet The Nitrogen Cycle of an aquarium. There is tons of data. I can link one if you'd like. Once the beneficial bacteria are at good levels, they will help keep the nitrates at safer levels. Water changes can decrease the percentage of nitrates in the tank. Without the beneficial bacteria the ammonia or nitrogen waste cannot break down. Ammonia and nitrites can cause disease and death to fish and frogs. They end up living in a pool of their own wastes. Hope that helped a little.

At this time I think you need a vet that will prescribe you the medications you may need. Test your tank water. Do a partial water change and retest again after the water settles. You'll unfortunately have to feed her everyday for awhile. I would actually feed her daily for a week. Build her up. She is going to be mad, but you will be keeping her alive. Use the calcium with vitamin D3 supplement daily until all twitching is resolved. Do not over-dust, just lightly dust as usual. We don't want to give her too much too fast. How big is she now? I would feed her about 2 to 3 large crickets per 2" of frog daily.

Have your bugs ready to go, dusted, and I'd take the large legs off for now. It makes of easier for you.

Please send me a PM if you have any trouble. I see the PM's way faster than the posts. Whenever anew post pops up it bumps itself to the top of the unread list. Since there are so many each day, your post may get pushed down the list as more recent ones add on. If you PM me, it will show up as a red number on my tapatalk app as soon as I log on. I tend to read those first.

If you get the liquid calcium or the liquid electrolyte replacement for frogs/reptiles, use it tonight as a soak before you feed her. Once the twitching starts, we need to act quickly. It's not a good idea to let it persist without treating the deficiency or muscular and bone damage can occur.

I don't want to scare you. I'm sorry your baby is having trouble. Hang in there. You can still help her. If you are having lots of trouble feeding her, I might have you text my phone so I can send you a video. Give it a try. PM me if you have any trouble.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Nationality
    [United States]

Thanks, Lynn

Chunks of earthworms? You mean I could kind of slip the chunks into her mouth?

I've never been able to find any Reptaboost at any of my nearby major pet stores. It's really frustrated me for a long time now.

I don't know whether I have the money for a vet trip, I've spent a lot of money recently setting up my salamanders and Chorus frogs tanks. How much would it cost? But I do want to email Dr. Frye. See his opinion.

I WILL definitely pick up that product today, and use it. I know exactly where to get it.

If she hasn't eaten or gotten food by tonight, I'm going to forcefeed her. It's stressful, but we're out of options here. I'll try to go for 2 calcium + Vit D3 dusted crickets and 1 Multi-Vitamin dusted cricket.

I don't know whether she's gotten MBD yet or not, but she can still swim strong and has some strength in her yet. She's having difficulty crawling around land, but most frogs of her kind do even if they are not sick. Even so, she does not look good. She's skinny, and looking weak. I'll get you a photo today.
    Yes, you can cut pieces of earthworms. They are soft and easy to digest and actually more nutritious for them than the crickets. Be sure they have no added dyes or scents added to them. sometimes fish bait shops carry the worms with additives to attract fish. Great plan on the dusting - two with Ca/D3 and one with mvi.

I'm glad to hear she's still swimming strong. That means if you get the nutrients in her, she can still pull through. They are not great walkers for sure. That is usual for them.

Nationality
    [United States]

Heather is giving excellent advice. Follow it to the letter.

Lack of eating is most likely due to the move. Using the bowl trick is a good idea, but it may also stress the frog because it is not used to this feeding method let alone a strange object being added to an already unfamiliar environment(hospital tank).

Using the water treatment you mentioned, buying liquid calcium and adding it to the water dish, and doing an electrolyte replacement soak will help greatly. You can also add a couple drops of honey to the electrolyte soak to give a boost of energy so that she isn't so lethargic.

Keep a close eye on her and look for an abnormalities in the skeletal structure. Especially in the legs and around the mouth. Signs of MBD will show their first if it is effecting the frog's bones. Drooping jaw, severe underbite, severe overbite, ect.

Keep us posted.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Well, I can't pick up the Electrolyte solution until tomorrow, which is really frustrating.

That's a ton of info on forcefeeding

Bumpy's body appears mostly OK, actually. However, the twitch is still there, she now seems to drag her leg along a bit when she walks, which leads me to fear she's developed a full case of MBD. However, she's swimming strong.

I'll be honest, the way I do it, I'm not sure whether I've hurt her or not I usually first take her and put a cloth around her waist, covering the legs. I then gently push the credit card in her mouth, and she'll open her mouth after a few seconds for about a half a second. I plop the cricket in then, and withdraw the credit card. However, I've been stressed the first 2 times I've done this, so I'll try using a calm tone and talking quietly to her, and I'll use something other than a credit card.

I actually tried letting the crickets crawl around in her hospital tank last night, for the whole night, and she didn't even go for them. She seemed too scared. I'm going to see if I can put a black kind of wallpaper around the hospital tanks sides and back.

Earlier, I forcefed her 1 calcium dusted cricket. I'm too worried it'll stress her out to forcefeed her more today. I absolutely HATE doing it, and I'm sure she does too.

I do have this on hand, is this the liquid calcium you're talking about?:

I'm afraid I transferred her to the 30 Gallon just about an hour and a half ago, hoping she'll do better in there, but after hearing this, I'm going to move her back. That was a stupid move of mine. As for the bio-filter, the 30 Gallon has an amazing filter and bio-filter. The water has never, ever gotten even the slightest bit murky. The filter for the 20 gallon is a terrible, weak thing. I am planning to get a proper one as soon as I can.

As for the possibility of a parasite, I don't have the money to get a vet treatment. And it's a shame, because about a month and a half ago I was thinking of treating both of them when I had the money

On the concern for Gnag, she gets more than she needs. I've begun dusting her crickets every other day, I feed her big earthworms from my compost (we don't use pesticides, and I don't know where to buy earthworms) on occasion, and I'm going to give her a multi-vitamin cricket dust at the end of this week. Honestly, if I am concerned about any one of my amphibians getting sick, Gnag would be the least concern. She's a happy, healthy, and chubby frog. Even so, I'll treat her for parasites when I can.
    My Amphibians:

Nationality
    [United States]

Well, I can't pick up the Electrolyte solution until tomorrow, which is really frustrating.

That's a ton of info on forcefeeding

Bumpy's body appears mostly OK, actually. However, the twitch is still there, she now seems to drag her leg along a bit when she walks, which leads me to fear she's developed a full case of MBD. However, she's swimming strong.

I'll be honest, the way I do it, I'm not sure whether I've hurt her or not I usually first take her and put a cloth around her waist, covering the legs. I then gently push the credit card in her mouth, and she'll open her mouth after a few seconds for about a half a second. I plop the cricket in then, and withdraw the credit card. However, I've been stressed the first 2 times I've done this, so I'll try using a calm tone and talking quietly to her, and I'll use something other than a credit card.

I actually tried letting the crickets crawl around in her hospital tank last night, for the whole night, and she didn't even go for them. She seemed too scared. I'm going to see if I can put a black kind of wallpaper around the hospital tanks sides and back.

Earlier, I forcefed her 1 calcium dusted cricket. I'm too worried it'll stress her out to forcefeed her more today. I absolutely HATE doing it, and I'm sure she does too.

I do have this on hand, is this the liquid calcium you're talking about?:

I'm afraid I transferred her to the 30 Gallon just about an hour and a half ago, hoping she'll do better in there, but after hearing this, I'm going to move her back. That was a stupid move of mine. As for the bio-filter, the 30 Gallon has an amazing filter and bio-filter. The water has never, ever gotten even the slightest bit murky. The filter for the 20 gallon is a terrible, weak thing. I am planning to get a proper one as soon as I can.

As for the possibility of a parasite, I don't have the money to get a vet treatment. And it's a shame, because about a month and a half ago I was thinking of treating both of them when I had the money

On the concern for Gnag, she gets more than she needs. I've begun dusting her crickets every other day, I feed her big earthworms from my compost (we don't use pesticides, and I don't know where to buy earthworms) on occasion, and I'm going to give her a multi-vitamin cricket dust at the end of this week. Honestly, if I am concerned about any one of my amphibians getting sick, Gnag would be the least concern. She's a happy, healthy, and chubby frog. Even so, I'll treat her for parasites when I can.
    Use a plastic spoon rather than a credit card. Use the spoon upsidedown starting at one side of the mouth and put the spoon between the upper and lower jaw. Slide the spoon slowly to the front for the mouth while it remains between the jaws and the frog should open its mouth.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Afraid I can't use the plastic spoon, Bumpy's too small. Just gonna have to stick with the credit card.

I've just forcefed her 3 dusted crickets, and you're definitely right Heather. Speaking in a calm manner did actually seem to calm Bumpy down a bit, especially in comparison to the last 2 forcefeeds.

Anyways, I'm going to continue to feed her 3 4week dusted crickets every night, and on sunday the cricket will get a multivitamin dust. Also, tommorow I'm picking up the electrolyte solution, and giving her a bath.
    My Amphibians:

Nationality
    [United States]

Great job!

It's tough, but sometimes we just have to. I actually used a thick plastic spoon when I had to feed my pac. Ise whichever is easiest for you.

I'm glad you got some nutrition and calcium in her. The choice you have listed above for electrolytes is fine.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Dr. Frye said my frog's seizures sounded like a lack of vitamin and calcium. I live in a very remote place and even though I ordered my meds overnight, I didn't get them until 3 days later. However I got my frog back on track and eating on her own before the meds came. I still gave her the Baytril anyway once it came in.

All I did was soak my frog everyday in a solution of non iodized salt, sugar (you have pedialyte so you don't need the salt and sugar), and calcium vitamin d3 powder (all I had) dissolved in warm conditioned water for 20 mins a day. After that I rinsed her in clean water for 5 mins. I kept her in a 15 quart plastic Sterilite box with air holes drilled in the sides. With the lid on it was pretty dark inside. Without any meds this is pretty much all you can do.
    If my frog hadn't started eating on her own I would have force fed her.

So, don't give up.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Smile Re: MBD in a Green frog?

Yeah, she's become more lively, which is good. I'm wondering whether to give her 4 crickets, because I got to measure her properly, and she is now 3 inches from tip of the nose to vent, though not as big as Gnag's monstrous size of 3 and 1/2 inches. It's like they both grew overnight! They're both growing, and fast! In comparison to my chorus frogs or even my 2 long toed salamanders, Urtham and Gargan, they're incredibly huge!

How much of each ingredient did you put in the solution, Ashley? I might try that, but I don't think Bumpy will eat on her own until she's stronger, and back in her refurnished tank. Remember, this frog is incredibly skittish, easily scared, and may have a parasite.

And this is way, way, way overdue, but thanks to everyone who's helped me out here
    My Amphibians:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I had read to put a teaspoon of salt and sugar for every cup of water used. However I felt it was too much. I used about two inches of water in a plastic shoe box. Then put a teaspoon of each ingredient. For my frog I would dump a little bit out and give her an overturned rock bowl to rest her head on. She was limp and couldn't hold herself up. If your frog can still sit up and swim good then you can use more water. Just as long as it doesn't go too far above the legs. Also make sure it has a lid if she is strong enough to jump. Plus the dark should help her feel safer.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Thumbs up Re: MBD in a Green frog?

Bumpy's getting better she's not eating on her own yet, but she's definitely not as skinny as she was, and she even did a little hop yesterday. I think I might try forcefeeding her a dusted earthworm chunk.

There's been no twitching ever since the first big forcefeed of 3 crickets, which is good.

Also, she did poop today, but it kind of seemed... like a fragile poop, if that makes any sense at all. It broke up easily when she plopped into her water bowl this morning.

I'm going to keep forcefeeding her until this upcoming Wednesday, hopefully she'll begin eating on her own before then.
    My Amphibians:

Nationality
    [United States]

Great job!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information