Thread: Getting a Red Eyed Tree Frog!

Xxandster700xX

Talking Getting a Red Eyed Tree Frog!

Hello everyone of frog forums! I'm new here and i just came here to ask a couple questions about them.
    1.Can they be held like lizards? I have a bearded dragon and I've been holding it since birth so its so tame that i can watch movies with it. If i raise my frog like this can i at least hold them for short periods of time?

2:They can eat crickets right?

3:Would this tank fit the frog?18"=Height 29"=Length 12"=Width

4:If i get more than 1 are there any suggestions on it? Like only having one male?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Banned
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Getting a Red Eyed Tree Frog!

Hello friend and welcome to FROGFORUM!!

Im CJ and im well rounded with the RED EYES. I will do my best to assist your needs here =)

1.) Please do not hold your frog...its a different type of pet. These frogs absorb water and anything that touches their skin. That means your oils on your hand or any chemicals that you used earlier to clean with. It will no doubt make your frog sick or even possibly die. IF you do for any reason need or want to handle the frog...wash your hands. DO NOT USE HAND SANITIZER IT IS TOXIC!!!!

2.) Yes they eat crickets...start of with a controlled diet of 4 a day. Put the crickets in a dish and monitor the eating habits when you first get him. Start with mediums ...depending on the size ...they will eventually eat large.

3.) The tank size seems fine.... do you have a photo you can post of your set up?

4.) Red eye tree frogs house well together...your specific sized tank can handle (2) adults.

Here is a care sheet for you to use!

Any more question feel free to post...we would love to see your photos and your progression with your new pet =) Even if it ends up not being the brightest...we still want to here it and share the experience for others =)

4. This member thanks CJ PELCHER for this post:

Xxandster700xX

Heres a video of the one that i have.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfX119FPSzA

Banned
    Nationality
    [United States]

I have some photos on my page for you to look at if you have any questions on how to set it up! Please take a look.

Banned
    Nationality
    [United States]

you didnt post your video.

Xxandster700xX

So sorry. Seems i forgot to post the link.

Banned
    Nationality
    [United States]

THat one has water in it? (fish tank) Your not going put your froggy in water are you

Xxandster700xX

Thats not my video. It's just a video of the same size tank that i have.
    Also, I would like to make my tank a rain tank also but i dont know how to. Could i get some links to supplies that i would need to make it one?

Banned
    Nationality
    [United States]

All depends on what type of rain tank your making.... I have a LIVE VIVARIUM / RAIN CHAMBER COMBO (as shown in my profile). ALL YEAR ROUND TYPE. (VERY EXPENSIVE) $2,500.00. Rain chambers are really only worth setting up if you plan on breeding your frogs. If you plan on breeding them.. let me know..but i would advise against it until you get to learn your frog and how they function. Rain chambers are used by breeders as SECOND tanks normally. Are you going to have live plants? DO you have fake plants...whats type of substrate are you going to use? DO you have humidity and temperature monitors? THis frogs needs to be misted and stay between 70-85 percent humidity. Misting them twice a day. I can get you a live vivarium/rain chamber set up for about 350 dollars.

Banned
    Nationality
    [United States]

Sorry i misread the tank size. Your tank is not a good tank to use for the frog i over read the length and height. Your height should be about 24" it is a frog that loves to climb and needs height. It can be done..but you wont have a happy frog. He will most likely get NOSE RUB from climbing up and rubbing his nose on the screen.

Banned
    Nationality
    [United States]

Heres a website i made..... you can work off of this and learn everything you need to know!

RED EYE TREE FROG - RED EYE BASICS

Banned
    Nationality
    [United States]

Ok thats a good list you have there. One thing i would recommend with this list.

1.) you do not need the BASKING bulb. IT will dry out your terrarium and your froggy. (not good) If you need a heating source for any reason look into getting a heating pad. but before you do that. ***buy the humidity and temperature MONITOR dials. (to see if you even need a heating source.)

2.) You will probably need a glass/ Plexiglas cover to go on top of your screen to retain moisture in the terrarium. YOu can get that at home depot / lowes and cut the exact piece you need. (about 15 dollars for the glass and cutter) You will notice that you will maintain a 70-90 percent humidity level which is very important. You will notice that your screen for this terrarium is METAL and it begin to rust... to prevent this buys some plastic screening at home depot and replace the screening. ( i had to do it on my exo terra) not a hard task.

3.) I did not see a substrate on that list.... Look into getting TREE FERN or ECO EARTH COCONUT HUSK.

4.) Water dish? You will need that to. RETFs will actually sit in the water to absorb it so get a MEDIUM sized water dish.

5.) I see you have a fake vine plant on the list. THis frog loves to perch on large leaves. See if you can find a LARGE leafed terrarium plant fake or live. If you use live..you will need the tree fern substrate. (be careful of overwatering / flooding the plant roots) (ill show you how to set a live vivarium up if you want)

I think i nailed everything. Any more questions refer to my website posted or message the forum. we are here for ya. =)

-Corey

Xxandster700xX

The substrate is the 6th one down.

I already have a water dish for him.

Is the uvb the only light that i will need?

Banned
    Nationality
    [United States]

Ahh the moss is usually used as a second substrate but i think that can work just as well as one.
    Yes that the only light you will NEED. Some RETF owners get a night lights... BLUE or RED (NOT HEAT BULBS) as a secondary light so they can see their red eye tree frog move around and be active at night. THEY SLEEP ALL DAY. They will get used to a schedule so if you can turn a night light on around the same time every night. I bought an aquarium day / night light fixture by MARINELAND. You can get 2 differnt fixtures and use and automatic timer for them if you would like ...

Xxandster700xX

Im having trouble finding a non-live plant that has big leaves. Can you give me a link to where i can get one that would work good.

Banned
    Nationality
    [United States]

Exo Terra Philodendron - Exo-Terra Smart Plants | Josh's Frogs
    ( you may need 2-3 of them)

Exo Terra Scindapsus | Josh's Frogs

ALSO NOTE: you can buy the real plant and keep it in the planter and surround it with your moss to hide and and water it. WORKS JUST AS WELL !!

Xxandster700xX

Do these leaves attach to the glass?

Banned
    Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Xxandster700xX View Post
    Do these leaves attach to the glass?

No they are anchored in your substrate.... WHich is why i would recomend getting the PRIMARY SUBSTRATE ..COCONUT FIBER / TREE FERN

Thread Information