Thread: Question about White's Tree Frog

JadeFrog

Default Question about White's Tree Frog

I've browsed the site and didn't seem to find an answer in the other posts, so hopefully I'm not re-asking something that's already been covered.

I bought another Dumpy a month or so after my first one had passed away. The new one, acted a worlds difference from the first (which wouldn't eat hardly at all, was brown, and stayed on the bottom of the cage all the time). This one stayed bright green to blue color, explored at night, slept high in the cage either on the vines or stuck to the class, and would eat as much and as often as you would allow it. The past few days he started staying in the water a lot, turning brown, refusing to eat, and over one night both his eyes become cloudy. After consulting a vet, they said it was a bacterial infection and there wasn't much I can do.

My question is...How does this infection happen and how can I prevent it from happening to another frog?

If it's a question of cleanliness, I spot clean every few days or as often as I see anything, I change the water dish every night, and I do a full cleaning of the tank every 2-3 weeks. I was worried about if I was keeping the humidity too high (it stays steady around 70-80%), keeping the environment to damp, or even if my substrate(T-Rex Jungle Bed Premium Blend Forest) is causing the issue. Any input would be appreciated, thanks.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Socrates

Default Re: Question about White's Tree Frog

My question is where did you purchase your White's from? Also, White's are notorious for dragging their face alongside the bottom of their enclosure. This can cause scratches on their face, which can lead to secondary infection (ie oppurtunistic bacteria such as pseudomonas, staph. or various fungi). To solve that issue, just place a 2 inch wide piece of construction paper on the outside, this will make the frog climb up and not drag its face along the bottom. Lastly, I would consider using soil w/ coconut fiber mixed in and don't use any commercially prepared dried mosses. Lots of times these contain dyes and other chemicals that can leech into the substrate, altering pH and poisoning the frog. Sorry about your frog.

JadeFrog

I got them as a gift from my brother, who had picked them both out at Petsmart. Probably not the best place to get them I guess, but outside of paying a lot of money to ship one, it's the only place that carries frogs around me.

I had noticed this frog would drag its nose along the glass and kind of poke it along the corners, I guess I didn't even think about it being an issue, because it mainly did so along the doors where the tank opened after it learned that was the way to get out of the cage with feeding time. I do have two sides of the tank covered, but never thought about covering a small strip around the bottom, thanks for that tip.

Socrates

No problem, and yeah I've heard/read articles about how the herps at Petsmart are in bad shape. Where in Ohio are you? I'm sure if you post a want add on this forum you'll be able to find a White's breeder by you or a Reptile Show.

Kurt

I would take it to another vet.

Thread Information