Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cane Toad care

Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Default Cane Toad care

I was thinking about getting a Cane Toad because I wanted a toad and I wanted it to be as big as possible. I was just wondering what foods would be the best in helping it grow to as large as possible. All the conditions in the tank are fine. Also if anyone has any tips on how to care for them that are not usually included in online care sheets then please tell me.

P.S. I know it's difficult to sex babies but how old do they have to be to sex them because I would like a female.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

demon amphibians

Default Re: Cane Toad care

Good choice in picking toads. i have a male and a female. My female eats a lot. It eats more then my pixie and my American bullfrog and is growing faster then any frog or toad species i own. They do tend to eat smaller prey compared to my other frogs. my pixie will eat mid sized rats. My cane toad wont go after a full grown mouse. but it will eat 4-5 hoppers each feeding. even though a cane toad will eat smaller prey then a frog of the same size it will still eat the same weight in food. It is very important to give them a wide variety of food. This is the case for any frog or toad but for cane toads it is particularly important. In the wild they can eat up too 500 different types of food in one night. I feed mine Madagascar hissing roaches, dubia roaches, crickets (gut loaded and dusted) small mice maybe hopper and fuzzy size, moths and rolly polly's. I also feed them spiders that i catch around my house they love these, but there all time favorite food are moths. because they eat so much culturing your own toad food would be the cheapest idea. They will also eat dog food and raw meat. I read on a care sheet that you can feed them strips of steak but i have yet to try that. I am not recommending it but it might be something worth researching. Dusting food is important to prevent bone lose.

For the habitat. The bigger the tank the better i use a 40 gal tank and that is a bit small for this species. Care sheets say to use coco fiber. I tried it and my toads didn't like it one bit. Best thing to do is mimic there natural habitat use gravel, rocks branches and plenty of plants and hiding spots. For the water dish something they have room to move in and at least 4 inches deep. For temp between 70 and 80 F would be fine although I recommend lower 70's. For humidity these are some dry climate toads so they don't need much. Misting there tank once a week to every couple of days would be fine depending on how dry of climate you live in.

Cane toads are believed to be the hardiest species of amphibian in the world they can handle chlorinated water (however i recommend treated water). They have even been found swimming in salt water. They are super easy to care for and it is hard to kill these guys. So long as they feel comfortable in there surroundings they will eat and eat and eat until they are the size of a chicken. The largest specimen ever caught is bigger than the Goliath frog. If you want yours to get super big a female is the route to go. As you probably already know males don't get very big.

For sexing the babies sorry i cant help you there. The coloration and the shape of the head is how you would tell but i don't know what age it becomes noticeable.

4. This member thanks demon amphibians for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Cane Toad care

Hi Truffs, I moved your post to the toad area .
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

toadstillcane

Quote Originally Posted by demon amphibians View Post
    Good choice in picking toads. i have a male and a female. My female eats a lot. It eats more then my pixie and my American bullfrog and is growing faster then any frog or toad species i own. They do tend to eat smaller prey compared to my other frogs. my pixie will eat mid sized rats. My cane toad wont go after a full grown mouse. but it will eat 4-5 hoppers each feeding. even though a cane toad will eat smaller prey then a frog of the same size it will still eat the same weight in food. It is very important to give them a wide variety of food. This is the case for any frog or toad but for cane toads it is particularly important. In the wild they can eat up too 500 different types of food in one night. I feed mine Madagascar hissing roaches, dubia roaches, crickets (gut loaded and dusted) small mice maybe hopper and fuzzy size, moths and rolly polly's. I also feed them spiders that i catch around my house they love these, but there all time favorite food are moths. because they eat so much culturing your own toad food would be the cheapest idea. They will also eat dog food and raw meat. I read on a care sheet that you can feed them strips of steak but i have yet to try that. I am not recommending it but it might be something worth researching. Dusting food is important to prevent bone lose. For the habitat. The bigger the tank the better i use a 40 gal tank and that is a bit small for this species. Care sheets say to use coco fiber. I tried it and my toads didn't like it one bit. Best thing to do is mimic there natural habitat use gravel, rocks branches and plenty of plants and hiding spots. For the water dish something they have room to move in and at least 4 inches deep. For temp between 70 and 80 F would be fine although I recommend lower 70's. For humidity these are some dry climate toads so they don't need much. Misting there tank once a week to every couple of days would be fine depending on how dry of climate you live in. Cane toads are believed to be the hardiest species of amphibian in the world they can handle chlorinated water (however i recommend treated water). They have even been found swimming in salt water. They are super easy to care for and it is hard to kill these guys. So long as they feel comfortable in there surroundings they will eat and eat and eat until they are the size of a chicken. The largest specimen ever caught is bigger than the Goliath frog. If you want yours to get super big a female is the route to go. As you probably already know males don't get very big.For sexing the babies sorry i cant help you there. The coloration and the shape of the head is how you would tell but i don't know what age it becomes noticeable.
    you are killing your frogs an toads with mice and rats sir it leads to blindness an fat deposits mice or rat weaners should only be given as a treat not a suppliment for its food also top soil is no good asa substrate and cocco fibre or ecco earth is fine mine are burrowing fine sir its a matter of choice but please look up about rats and mice being bad now only recently noticed by phib keepers

100+ Post Member Gnag the nameless's Avatar
    Nationality
    [Canada]

I disagree with you, toadstillcane. Many frog owners feed their frogs mice, and the frogs are fine with it. Also, Demon Amphibians has kept many different species of frogs, and has many years of experience with them. I would take his advice before the advice of many other people on this Forum. Cane toads also eat huge varieties of meals, often vertebrates included, and I am certain many wild cane toads eat mice. Perhaps for most frogs they are not a good staple or supplementary meal, but I can assure you that Demon Amphibians knows more about Cane toads and their care than either you or myself.

Topsoil is the most natural substrate out there, and I have never heard of any issues with it. If you are going to state "Topsoil is not a good substrate," please, explain why as well.
    My Amphibians:
    1.0.0 Rana Catesbiana (Bumpy Digtoad )
    1.0.0 Pseudacris Regilla (Levi )
    1.1.0 Ambystoma Macrodactylum (Urtham and Gargan )
    2.2.0 Bombina Orientalis ( Rosa, Sasha, Aleksis, and Dimitri )

Rest in Peace, Gnag the Nameless, Chrome, and Thermidor

8. This member thanks Gnag the nameless for this post:

toadstillcane

Quote Originally Posted by Gnag the nameless View Post
    I disagree with you, toadstillcane. Many frog owners feed their frogs mice, and the frogs are fine with it. Also, Demon Amphibians has kept many different species of frogs, and has many years of experience with them. I would take his advice before the advice of many other people on this Forum. Cane toads also eat huge varieties of meals, often vertebrates included, and I am certain many wild cane toads eat mice. Perhaps for most frogs they are not a good staple or supplementary meal, but I can assure you that Demon Amphibians knows more about Cane toads and their care than either you or myself.Topsoil is the most natural substrate out there, and I have never heard of any issues with it. If you are going to state "Topsoil is not a good substrate," please, explain why as well.
    top soil is heavy dirty hard dries quicker need i go on so 20 liters of top soil say its bad but its my own experince also im new to cane toads but its not whos had it the longest or biggest its whats best for animal and my new imformation which ill glady share is suggesting that giving bull frogs mice regularly creates fat lumps as seen in snakes which also your going to tell i know knowing about these ok but ive put it to a breeder were i got my african bull frog from on line with a booklet sayin mice but studies show now that mice are bad ill find thread its from another forum am i allowed to post it also from owing phibs for a matter of months im doin also topsoil is very gritty and bitty and when your changing water everyday its apain with top soil also my canes dont like it wont burrow couldnt burrow infact compacted whats your great reason for using it now ecco earth brilliant wanna see burrowing holes my toads have made easy to burrow easier to keep water moisture consistancy also cleaner water for toads so it seems i know some thing you and willing to learn more but all im sayin is what new experts claim also what would you know what a cane toad will eat in wild sir were does it get dog food from herm itt doesnt we give it doesnt mean we should

toadstillcane

Quote Originally Posted by toadstillcane View Post
    top soil is heavy dirty hard dries quicker need i go on so 20 liters of top soil say its bad but its my own experince also im new to cane toads but its not whos had it the longest or biggest its whats best for animal and my new imformation which ill glady share is suggesting that giving bull frogs mice regularly creates fat lumps as seen in snakes which also your going to tell i know knowing about these ok but ive put it to a breeder were i got my african bull frog from on line with a booklet sayin mice but studies show now that mice are bad ill find thread its from another forum am i allowed to post it also from owing phibs for a matter of months im doin also topsoil is very gritty and bitty and when your changing water everyday its apain with top soil also my canes dont like it wont burrow couldnt burrow infact compacted whats your great reason for using it now ecco earth brilliant wanna see burrowing holes my toads have made easy to burrow easier to keep water moisture consistancy also cleaner water for toads so it seems i know some thing you and willing to learn more but all im sayin is what new experts claim also what would you know what a cane toad will eat in wild sir were does it get dog food from herm itt doesnt we give it doesnt mean we should
    Quote: Originally Posted by Uromastyxman I have had my African Bullfrogs and cane toads since I purchased them in 1991. the books and caresheets I have read since that time have all stated that these animals in the wild will consume almost anything they can overpower and get into their mouths. They also say that too many rodents can make them fat, effect their kidney and liver functions and could kill them. However they also say that feeding them rodents in MODERATION, is fine. I feed mine a huge variety of insects and every other month I will give them an adult mouse defrost, which they seem to relish and has not effected their health in anyway. I would prefer to believe what I have read from a variety of sources and take into account my own experiences. I have also encountered many underweight frogs and toads, who are fed store bought insects in the hope that this will be efficient. I have trained my animals to eat food parcels from tongs so this delivery system can provide them with any food I prepare for them. My argumant is MODERATION!!!If that is your arguement, I don't have much of a problem with it- although I would say that a proprtion of wild-caught food makes up for some of the deficiencies of 'store-bought'. If I misunderstood your earlier posts, which seemed to suggest that mice were the 'perfect' food, I apologise. this is from another forum dating back wait for it 2009 yes 2009 sir thats poor research on others parts not mine but its opinions again though so whos to say whos right and whos wrong but any over feeding on any animal is bad

100+ Post Member Gnag the nameless's Avatar
    Nationality
    [Canada]

Perhaps, but top soil is the most natural. No matter if it is "itty and gritty", it may be the best option. I've always repeated that whatever is best for the frog/toad, go for it. Sure, it compacts, and perhaps it is hard to burrow in, but in the wild, Cane toads are used to such substrate. And in fact, they thrive in it. Coconut fiber may be easier to burrow in, but it is not as natural. That's all I'm trying to say.

I never suggested feeding bullfrogs mice, and I don't do that with my own bullfrog. And yes, it is unhealthy for bullfrogs to regularly eat mice.

I never mentioned dog food in my earlier post, and if I recall correctly, neither did Demon Amphibians.

My argument is indeed on the side of moderation. Feeding rodents in moderation or as a supplement is fine. However, I too disagree with feeding them as the staple diet.

I never said mice were the perfect food, neither the perfect supplementary food.

For Cane toads, yes, it is good to have a variety of W/C insects to feed them. I completely agree with you there. I've always wished that there were more feeder insects open in the market, giving frog owners the choice of a bigger variety in their frog/toads diet.

I second you on that, overfeeding any animal is bad for the animal.

Please refrain from being rude, I'd rather keep this as a debate, not an argument.

All I'm saying is that it is not necessarily bad to feed Cane toads mice in a variety such as Demon Amphibians has stated, and that it will not kill the frog. It may be unhealthy if they are fed as the staple, yes, but as a supplementary food, they may help.
    My Amphibians:
    1.0.0 Rana Catesbiana (Bumpy Digtoad )
    1.0.0 Pseudacris Regilla (Levi )
    1.1.0 Ambystoma Macrodactylum (Urtham and Gargan )
    2.2.0 Bombina Orientalis ( Rosa, Sasha, Aleksis, and Dimitri )

Rest in Peace, Gnag the Nameless, Chrome, and Thermidor

toadstillcane

[QUOTE=Gnag the nameless;168340]Perhaps, but top soil is the most natural. No matter if it is "itty and gritty", it may be the best option. I've always repeated that whatever is best for the frog/toad, go for it. Sure, it compacts, and perhaps it is hard to burrow in, but in the wild, Cane toads are used to such substrate. And in fact, they thrive in it. Coconut fiber may be easier to burrow in, but it is not as natural. That's all I'm trying to say.

I never suggested feeding bullfrogs mice, and I don't do that with my own bullfrog. And yes, it is unhealthy for bullfrogs to regularly eat mice.

I never mentioned dog food in my earlier post, and if I recall correctly, neither did Demon Amphibians.

My argument is indeed on the side of moderation. Feeding rodents in moderation or as a supplement is fine. However, I too disagree with feeding them as the staple diet.

I never said mice were the perfect food, neither the perfect supplementary food.

For Cane toads, yes, it is good to have a variety of W/C insects to feed them. I completely agree with you there. I've always wished that there were more feeder insects open in the market, giving frog owners the choice of a bigger variety in their frog/toads diet.

I second you on that, overfeeding any animal is bad for the animal.

Please refrain from being rude, I'd rather keep this as a debate, not an argument.

All I'm saying is that it is not necessarily bad to feed Cane toads mice in a variety such as Demon Amphibians has stated, and that it will not kill the frog. It may be unhealthy if they are fed as the staple, yes, but as a supplementary food, they may
    Phoenix Worms are great for frogs and toad's and they Can be given as a more staple diet also l Use earth worms Sorry if you thought I was being rude didn't Mean to

GonzaloCastillo

so i see you all guys have experience with cane toads, and im new to them, i would like to know if i can give them slugs?

demon amphibians

you are killing your frogs an toads with mice and rats sir it leads to blindness an fat deposits mice or rat weaners should only be given as a treat not a suppliment for its food also top soil is no good asa substrate and cocco fibre or ecco earth is fine mine are burrowing fine sir its a matter of choice but please look up about rats and mice being bad now only recently noticed by phib keepers
    i only give them as a treat and i have also came across several references that states coco fiber is not favored by this species these guys are unlike frogs in huge ways. Coco fiber is best for many species of frog and toads but coco fiber which may not hurt is not the recommend environment . I am sure many cane toad owners may agree. I think i have these guys down thanks. And sorry if i did not specify mammals as a treat my bad on that part. You want as much of a natural environment as possible try looking up there natural environment and let me know what you find. And for the top soil i use i have a sure method of treating it for parasites and other junk. as well as where i get if from. also i don't use top soil. I do not believe I mentioned top soil. Rocks and top soil are not the same thing. My toads are stapled on roaches i give 5 small mice once a month if that along with every one of my frogs i own. Now what toadstillcane suggested, yes too much protein can and will cause a variety of issues even many he did not state. But I never said i stapled them. Does anybody see anything i mentioned in my statement, a staple of mice and rats? And its funny people say that they get info from breeders. Well i know several breeders who give in conclusive information and sometimes flat out bad info. Nice reference toadstillcane... next time lets find something solid instead of being a mockery.
    I do not take one persons word or one reference and run with it I take many and with this species i have scrutinized dozens from experts. I love my pets and i research there health and well being much more then you have i bet. Before you start tearing apart other peoples advice maybe you should do a little more in depth research and please avoid putting words in their mouths.

And Caspian if you lived in San Diego i would have a beer waiting for you.

toadstillcane

Its a fact not an argument with you or anyone 5 small mice in 1 go is to much also depends upon were the toad has come from on grounds of terrains like Australia usa there all different types of terrains sandy deserts im not here to argue just learn an share you see I have toads 3 months frog 2 month but on the grounds on feeding cane toads are being fed dog food also cat food haha natural nah thats rong like snakes like royal python eat gerbils in natural surroundings but we give dead white mice pepole wanna luck up what to much feeding does to a snake

toadstillcane

dude you're claiming that I have done several different searches I didn't put words in anyone's mouth ok also its ppl like you that have been turning nature upside down and cross breeding phibs like pppl have done with snakes now I've just put words in youre mouth and everyone is doing things differently

toadstillcane

Why don't you ask people not to be argumentative with me im here to learn not be talked to like a child

toadstillcane

Quote Originally Posted by demon amphibians View Post
    i only give them as a treat and i have also came across several references that states coco fiber is not favored by this species these guys are unlike frogs in huge ways. Coco fiber is best for many species of frog and toads but coco fiber which may not hurt is not the recommend environment . I am sure many cane toad owners may agree. I think i have these guys down thanks. And sorry if i did not specify mammals as a treat my bad on that part. You want as much of a natural environment as possible try looking up there natural environment and let me know what you find. And for the top soil i use i have a sure method of treating it for parasites and other junk. as well as where i get if from. also i don't use top soil. I do not believe I mentioned top soil. Rocks and top soil are not the same thing. My toads are stapled on roaches i give 5 small mice once a month if that along with every one of my frogs i own. Now what toadstillcane suggested, yes too much protein can and will cause a variety of issues even many he did not state. But I never said i stapled them. Does anybody see anything i mentioned in my statement, a staple of mice and rats? And its funny people say that they get info from breeders. Well i know several breeders who give in conclusive information and sometimes flat out bad info. Nice reference toadstillcane... next time lets find something solid instead of being a mockery.
    I do not take one persons word or one reference and run with it I take many and with this species i have scrutinized dozens from experts. I love my pets and i research there health and well being much more then you have i bet. Before you start tearing apart other peoples advice maybe you should do a little more in depth research and please avoid putting words in their mouths.

And Caspian if you lived in San Diego i would have a beer waiting for you.
    You said you do an then don't use top soil ???!,! Make up your mind top soil can be bought treated sterilised im making up a mixture of substrates like top soil leaf mulch compost etc

toadstillcane

You bet you love you're animals more then me and you've done more searching then me know more haha I dont take one persons word you FOOLISH PRAT well you're looking a PLEB I've done years of reasonable research on phibs snakes dogs arrogant you are mate typical of a yank

toadstillcane

You say you don't feed you're bull frog mice then disagree with me on it an you say others do your al back tracking

toadstillcane

Yes you can give them slugs but if you have dogs I wouldn't mess about with them due to fact that slugs carry lung worm im surprised at how the people in hete didn't answer you but there to busy with having a pop at me yes all types of wild insects can be given to the cane toad but again with slugs id be careful as humans can catch lung worm but its the dog thats got to be careful as its deadly to dogs snails I anit sure about just Google search it I'll do it yes snail's to are deadly to cats as well but if you dont have a cat an dog go ahead an catch some your toads will love you

demon amphibians

You said you do an then don't use top soil ???!,! Make up your mind top soil can be bought treated sterilised im making up a mixture of substrates like top soil leaf mulch compost etc
    I take it you have reading problems. I said I do not use top soil. I do know how to treat it if i did want to use it. Do i have to underline everything? Ok since you have the education of a 5th grader guess i will have too. And Do you know anything about the protien content of a mouse anyway? Or did you just hear it from someone? An insect such as a roach has more protein content per weight then a mouse and guess what my friend all the mice i feed my toads are smaller then the roaches i feed to my toads. So your telling me my roachs have to much protien for my frogs and toads now? Oh no i am killin my toads with protein rich bugs. Now since you dont know i will explain why mice are unhealthy (IF stapled). It is because the frog or toad digests the tissues differently compared to an invert (which are bugs and worms and such). You cant compare a toad digistion to ours but to help you understand it is similar to how red meat is unhealthy for us and can cause many health problems for us. I did mention I fed small mice right doctor? Its funny how you ask people not to argue with you and that people shouldn't talk to you like a child well your starting to sound like one with your insults and all your typical yank remarks. And it really must be nice to be able to say what you would like behind the safety of a computer but i am sure if you were speaking to me in person you would be showing much more respect. And yes I replied to Gonzo "mate" I spoke to him on PM about the matter. And your info on the lung worm is the least concern when you have a cane toad and a dog in your house by the way. You should know that with all your years of reasonable research.

Bottom line please talk to people with respect and it will be returned even if there is a point to argue.

toadstillcane

Quote Originally Posted by GonzaloCastillo View Post
    so i see you all guys have experience with cane toads, and im new to them, i would like to know if i can give them slugs?
    Yes answered you at bottom
    Ok you said if I've got a dog im silly why when I respect the animal I dont get my toads out when dogs in room what I do is lock myself in kitchen or room lmao at if I was there what you'd shoot me joker look respect is earned im new but kept frogs an toads when I was a child also had snakes years thats we're I learnt that to many mice are bad for reptiles as well read my posts proper yes yanks do have a bad attitude so what about ppl keeping 15 foot snakes or biggar crocodiles etc with children and you moan about a dog but dont you think I didnt look at the danger of owning a toad even a child cann own a cane toad about soil I said I was going to make a mix

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information