Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Please help!

Zachattack

Default Please help!

Hey my name is Zach and not only am I new to this forum, I am also new to creating vivariums. I have done tons of research and now I have questions..... Here is a general idea of the enclosure I hope to create. 75 gallons with a false bottom with a one inch difference in the middle to create a kind of slope. Then I'll use some soil mixed with a few bricks of coco fiber or whatever I end up deciding on a few plants and maybe one fake climbing branch for the critter going inside. And that's my set up. Now for questions(they may sound ridiculous). 1) I want to make a waterfall with a stream and this is what I was thinking: fill the false bottom with water and cut out to holes in the back left and front right corners of my false bottom. Put a filter half submerged in the back left and have it waterfall fall into a stream that carries is to the small pond in the front right hole. This way the water is circulated and filtered. I would also add screen to the bottom of the front right pond so that nothing but water gets into the false bottom. I'd love to hear thoughts on that. 2) I need to provide heat on for my critter and I currently use an under tank heat pad. With a false bottom, this seems useless. I was thinking about just wrapping the pad in foil and putting it between the soil and screen on top of the false bottom. Thoughts? 3) I am considering red wigglers to enhance the life cycle of the vivarium. But am worried that that heater will toast them and then I will have a smell problem. Think they will stay away from the heat? 4) I am thinking about creating a underground hide for my critter. I will do this by blocking off a small section of the back right corner. Making walls sealed and secured with silicon blocking off the water from the false bottom. The only thing I don't like about that is having stuff stuck to my tank.. But this seems like a very insignificant problem to me.

That's all i can think of now but I'm sure I'll have more questions later!! thanks for reading!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

DartEd

Default Re: Please help!

Welcome to the forum.
    Do NOT under any circumstance put the UTH under the substrate. Very very very Bad idea on so many levels. The false bottom is placed for drainage of excess water from substrate. If you put it in there, you're introducing an electrical item that's not meant to get wet into a very wet environment. A short circuit is the least of your worries. You could electrocute the inhabitants of the vivarium or worse, burn your house down. I hope I emphasized how dangerous this is. Please for all that is holy don't do it.

As far as the waterfall is concerned you're on the right track. It all depends on how you want it designed.

Since you're not going to put the heater under the substrate, the wigglers will be fine.

As far as a "hide" it's your build. You can set it up any way you like. Animals including amphibians require a happy place. Somewhere they can feel secure and escape stressors. I don't think you have to set up underground. Somethings as simple as a coco hut, lots of leaf litter and good heavy plant cover offer great hiding places for frogs.

You keep referring to a "critter". What species are you considering? Knowing what will live in your vivarium will help you tailor the viv to the animals needs. Different amphibians have different requirements. Knowing these and executing those requirements effectively in a viv will result in a stress free animal and give you years of enjoyment.
    Last edited by DartEd; March 22nd, 2013 at 02:09 PM. Reason: Spelling and addendum

DartEd

As far as heating is concerned, viv lights for plant growth are usually enough to raise temps In a vivarium at least 5-10 degrees. If the viv is kept in a room that is maintained at a temp of 66-68 degrees the viv should maintain that temp and increase to 71-75 during lights on. To warm my bugs, I keep a 40 watt ceramic heater, about 8-10 inches over the shoe box. That maintains temps in the container at a constant 75 degrees. This could work for you as well.

Zachattack

Thanks for the input guys! I actually will be housing a snake though.. I just really like this site for the vivarium info so my temps will need to be a bit higher. And I wasn't planning on just slapping a uth in there by itself.. I was going to try to seal it with silicone or wrap it up with something.. I just really need a way to provide more heat with out a lamp. And I do know that the underground hide will be more work, but I like the constructing part. In the process of building my waterfall now

placing a uth inside the tank is a very, VERY bad idea. sealed or not. when i do a false bottom, i use aquarium heaters to heat the water, which in turn will heat the air above the water. get a good, high quality, adjustable heater so you can adjust the temps to where they need to be. it will also create humidity via water evaporation.

worms have been a debated subject for a while. some say they are ok, some say no. i am of the train of thought that they are bad. i prefer springtails and isopods for a cleaning crew. when worms die (and they eventually will) you are looking at tearing apart the entire tank to clean them out, all the while cursing yourself for putting them in the enclosure in the first place....lol (i know this one from personal experience ) of course, you could always house dubia roaches in with the snake if you want a more complete eco system. madagascar hissers are also cool. of course, that all depends on the snake kept of course. they would be a bad idea with an insectivorous snake such as a common garter. but if we're talking a python, they will be fine.
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

If you plan on going snake you don't want a moist substrate or you'll end up with scale rot or much worse.

Springtail & pillbugs are AWESOME as tank cleaners as Bill said.

Garters do not eat bugs, the exoskeleton will cause impaction & red wriggles are toxic to them also. Research your snakes carefully.

IMO you need to pick your new friend then do the housing according to species. This way you & new found friend can develop a long and happy relationship together.
    Rest in peace Rosie 5-31-12
    Rest in peace Rufus 2-7-14
    Rest in peace Morph 8-14-15

Quote Originally Posted by kueluck View Post
    If you plan on going snake you don't want a moist substrate or you'll end up with scale rot or much worse.

Springtail & pillbugs are AWESOME as tank cleaners as Bill said.

Garters do not eat bugs, the exoskeleton will cause impaction & red wriggles are toxic to them also. Research your snakes carefully.

IMO you need to pick your new friend then do the housing according to species. This way you & new found friend can develop a long and happy relationship together.
    thanks for that correction Gail, i am obviously NOT a reptile guy....lol
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Nationality
    [United States]

That's cool. I have 3 Garters (Thamnophis) and they are some of my best friends.
    Quote Originally Posted by deranged chipmunk View Post
    thanks for that correction Gail, i am obviously NOT a reptile guy....lol

Zachattack

I'll look into the springtails for sure then! And I'm getting a boa. It'll be somewhat humid but I will keep and eye on the moisture. I'll also have a screen top making humidity control a lot more simple. As for the aquarium heaters.. I'm kinda skeptical on how well that would be for a basking spot.. It needs to go through a false bottom and a few inches of substrate. Any other options?

i was suggesting the heater to heat the tank. not for a basking spot. no clue on that one.
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Zachattack

What about under gravel heaters?

over priced, hard to find and very temperamental. great for fish tanks, i'm thinking bad news for a viv.
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Zachattack

I really don't like using bulbs for basking spots.. This is quite the dilemma

Zachattack

I'll just have to have a small section of the tank that does not have a false bottom and put the uth there I guess

Nationality
    [United States]

Zach, for the welfare of the snake PLEASE seek advise on this with the experts. I'ld try this place. General Boa Forum - sSNAKESs : Reptile Forum .

17. 2 members thank kueluck for this post:

DartEd

Why not just use a ceramic heater. I kept my pair of Surinam red tails in a simple 100 gallon tank. Newspaper for a substrate, and a 100 watt ceramic heater with a ceramic fixture on one side. The newspaper makes cleanup a snap. I don't know if you've kept larger snakes but when they excrete, it's not small nor does it smell good. Using a diff substrate will make cleanup a little harder. Provide the snakes with a large dog dish of fresh water and they're fine. Snakes aren't picky about living conditions. If you provide heat, food weekly until they're well grown ( then you cut them back to every other week ), and water along with a daily spraying when shedding their skin; they will thrive. Commercial substrates run you the risk of contaminating the habitat with mites which are a dangerous pest to snakes. Go simple and make it easier on you and the snake.

Zachattack

I think taking the easy route defeats the purpose of having a pet.. I want to challenge myself and give my snake the most natural environment I can while also keeping it safe and clean.

DartEd

It's not taking the easy route. It's about doing what is right for the animal not what feels good to you. Why listen to someone with over 20 years experience keeping healthy reptiles. You've obviously made up your mind. I'm tapping out of this one. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Zachattack View Post
    I think taking the easy route defeats the purpose of having a pet.. I want to challenge myself and give my snake the most natural environment I can while also keeping it safe and clean.
    There's a big difference between challenging yourself and doing what's right for your future pet. You have a lot of experience offering advice here. If you choose to use it, wonderful. If not, I'm sure we wish you luck
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Zachattack

I'm defiantly loving the advice and will put a lot of it to use. All I'm saying is, when I look at my snakes natural environment, there isn't paper covering the ground. I'm replicating its environment. Not saying there is anything wrong with using it, I'm just takin a different route. And I have made a decision. 1/4 gravel false bottom where the uth will be and 3/4 egg crate false bottom..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information