Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starting a new adventure and getting back into frogs

Nationality
    [United States]
    North Providence, Rhode Island, United States
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Starting a new adventure and getting back into frogs

I have been wanting to get back into frogs and am going to be setting up a new tank! Going away from ACF this time and will be going into ADF for the first time in years. I am quite excited and hope to turn this into a breeding project down the line.

The new tank should be set up with in the next couple of days and will either be two 10 gallons joined by a water bridge (if I can rig the lids to be sealed and accommodating of the bridge) or just a 20 gallon long. I haven't decided yet. I have the 10 gallons and water bridge on hand...the 20 gallon long is in storage at my mother in laws.

Either way...it might be set up by tomorrow! Going for sand, drift wood, live plants...my usual look.
    72 Gallon Bow - ACF and GF tank.
    26 Gallon Bow - ACF tank.

20 Gallon Long - ACF tank.

"If there were an invisible cat in that chair, the chair would look empty. But the chair does look empty; therefore there is an invisible cat in it." C.S. Lewis, Four Loves, 1958

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Starting a new adventure and getting back into frogs

do adf use the bridge?

Nationality
    [United States]

To be honest I have no idea if they will. I will of course leave a layer of air in the bridge in case they pause midway. I may eventually turn this into an ADF and guppy set up if I do the bridge but the guppies are a secondary addition. Right now I am still debating the two 10s with bridge vs the 20 long with out a bridge.

If my mother in law calls me later and says she can bring up the 20 long, then problem solved. I would prefer to give them the floor space then something visually appealing to me but might be useless/confusing for the frogs.

"If there were an invisible cat in that chair, the chair would look empty. But the chair does look empty; therefore there is an invisible cat in it." C.S. Lewis, Four Loves, 1958

Nationality
    [United States]

Went the 20 gallon long route for my 10 new little frogs. Pictures for later!

While they were bagging the frogs she accidentally also bagged a young male guppy. She didn't want to fish him back out so she gave him to me for free. They are exploring right now and settling in.
    Last edited by Jenste; March 23rd, 2013 at 05:12 PM.

Nationality
    [United States]

lol i've gotten many free fry when buying live bearers.. i tried to adopt a new ACF today but he wasnt for sale

Nationality
    [United States]

He is a cute little guy, has a red tail and is poking around like king of the castle right now. The ADF are really young. They have been swallowed up by the 20 gallon long...you can barely tell they are in there!

Nationality
    [United States]

Here are some pictures. Not 100% happy with the scape as it was done quickly but it will suffice for now. I will end up tinkering with it as I do all of my tanks.

Nationality
    [United States]

I like the substrate, looks very natural. If you want to get that sand off your driftwood a turkey baster works pretty well.

I notice you have a Tiger Lotus, very cool plant. I grew one once from a cheapo bulb pack I picked up at PetSmart.. it went from bulb to a monstrous plant in an insanely very quickly amount of time. I am not aquascaping expert but maybe you could try to make more of a sloped look with the substrate? It has a nicer look when sloped also it forces detritus to roll down and usually clump into one area (makes for easy vacuuming/cleaning).

Nationality
    [United States]

I actually brushed the sand onto the driftwood. I like the half submerged look. It was done very quickly just to get the tank put together so the frogs could be put in.

I will be tinkering with the look this week and probably swapping out the driftwood pieces with some from my other tanks as well. I may pull root some wisteria and make the sand bed deeper in spots. so that when the wisteria grows I will have one side that is pretty much just a giant tangle of bushy weeds. I may spend all over Tuesday playing with it as I will be home all day. Hopefully the weather is nice and I can rinse more sand outside. (I hate doing it in the rain! It is so cold!!!)

Nationality
    [Canada]

Looks great Jenna. I am glad you didn't do the bridge thing, that had disaster written all over it. Be careful swapping stuff out of this tank, until you are sure you frogs are disease free consider them and everything that contacts their water contaminated.
    Where did you buy them at?
    Did you get rid of all of your ACF's and axi's?

Nationality
    [United States]

I had gotten rid of my other amphibians last year due to personal reasons.

As far as their stuff, they have their own nets and siphon. Thank you but I am well aware of potential contamination risks and have been taking steps accordingly. I have been stealing plant trimmings from established set ups but what is taken will not be put back. I would not be risking my discus or breeding angels for a few new ADF, no matter how cute they are! I had a couple pieces of driftwood standing by soaking so that it would be ready to go into the tank.

I actually bought them from the same private shop where I have purchased some of my discus from. The bridge is most likely going to be put to use with either my sparking gouramis or just to connect a few tanks holding juvenile angelfish to make the grow out tanks a little bit more fun.

As far as the ADF tank, I did not do as much of a rescape as I originally planned. I added more sand and sloped it to the right so that the right side is about 1.5 - 2" higher than the rest of the tank. I took out a piece of driftwood and moved around the other three. I regrouped a few plants and took some of the larger trimmings of extra water wisteria I had and rooted them into the sand. My hope is that the whole right side will become a denser bushy growth for the adf to hide in.

Pictures once they have settled.

LunaDay

It looks beautiful! I was patiently awaiting pics. So exciting. I am going to have to find someone to trade my 55 for a 20 long. I want one bad! I want more ADFs too! Keep us updated, it is looking great!

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Jen they're so cute I think the tank looks nice as it is in the pictures. I prefer natural looking tanks like that.

VivariumFan

You have one heck of a tank here, I love this design and how natural it looks, Great job!

Nationality
    [United States]

Thanks! I forgot to post the photos here after posting them on another thread. whoops!

Here are some of the updated photos, will look better once the wisteria on the right hand side grows in. They already love that area and spend most of their time over there.

You can't see me!

They also love their lilies. Most of the lilies are half under/half on the water surface, so they have a nice little shelf about 1/2-1/3" below the water surface to relax. (I had slowly moved the cover over to take a clear photo)

Nationality
    [Canada]

Damnit Jen, I caught myself eyeballing and missing adf's last night at the store. Now the wheels are turning and I am considering getting some again. One place here also have the blond variety in stock...

Nationality
    [United States]

Tony you and I are of the same mind. I have my local store looking into ordering some for me also. They have been trying to track them down for the past couple days. I am hoping to get my hands on at least 5 depending on price.

Nationality
    [United States]

I am really happy about how well these have settled in.

They are about 1/2 inch in body and as far as I can tell they are too young to sex. I remember my old ADF being extremely easy to sex, where as none of these have glands under the arms so I either somehow have 10 very young females or they have just not reached sexual maturity yet. Based on their size, I am not surprised.

Hidr

Very nice set up. I just bought four move to go with my one male. I well be phasing out the fish. But some of them are really young so well be a while before they go. My angels are only three. lol The loaches are new additions. I really want an all frog tank like yours. But just no room to set one up. Hmmm maybe a 10 gallon? Oh hubby would love that.

Nationality
    [United States]

My angels would make short work of the little ADF. I could never house them together!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information