Thread: HELP! Red Eyed Tree Frog

Jeppie92

Unhappy HELP! Red Eyed Tree Frog

I just got my first red eyed tree frog a few days ago, everything was fine and he was doing great. Until I noticed something on her foot today. This being my first red eyed tree frog I have no idea if its normal and cant find any information on it. Please help! (If you look closely in the picture you can see the red spot on his foot)
    Name:  IMG_3540.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  76.6 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: HELP! Red Eyed Tree Frog

First off, welcome to the forum! EIGH! i have no idea what that spot is, maybe a fungal or bacterial infection? i would look in the phonebook and see any vets listed "exotic" they usually deal with herps, im sure theres a cure for this sort of thing on the forum, maybe other Red-Eyed Leaf Frog experts like Heather or Lynn would see this.
    Hope the froggy gets better!
    "A Righteous man cares for his animals" - Proverbs 12:10
    1.0.0 Correlophus cilliatus
    2.1.0 Bombina orientalis
    0.1.0 Ambystoma mexicanum
    0.0.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    1.0.0 Litoria caerulea
    1.1.0 Dendrobates auratus "Nicaraguan"
    0.0.2 Dendrobates tinctorius "Azureus"

Nationality
    [United States]

Default HELP! Red Eyed Tree Frog

Hi Jeppie,

It looks like an injury of some sort, though its hard to see well. Is he still eating?

Please answer these questions so we can help...
    http://www.frogforum.net/african-bul...enclosure.html

For now, make him a hospital tank with paper towels as substrate to keep the area as clean as possible. Very gently trickle some fresh dechlorinated water or spring water over the area to clean it. Do not touch or rub it, just let it rinse off. Allow the area to air dry as much as it will. Use a Qtip and apply a little blob of Original Neosporin (NOT the pain reliever type -it is toxic to frogs) to the red area. Try to cover the whole area. By using 2 Qtips and squishing the neo into a nice little blob on the end of it and then rolling the Qtip around the toe area, it should glob on. You don't need a lot, just enough to cover the red areas.

I would contact a vet. If there are no exotic vets in your area there is a vet that often helps via phone and email.

If you can please copy and paste the link above and answer the questions, we will be able to help more. A clearer photo will also be greatly helpful.
    Last edited by Heatheranne; March 22nd, 2013 at 12:54 AM.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Banned
    Nationality
    [United States]

Im going to add on to heather... Vets recommend Vetrimycin. Its a spray on disinfectant and works very well and reputable... I would need a better picture though... Based on the view it looks like an amputated toe... but hard to tell. Use this product in combination with NEO...spray on first then use NEO.

Nationality
    [United States]

I was thinking the same...looks like he lost a toe. Perhaps in a door, sharp corner of something, etc.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Jeppie92

She just passed away I just got him Sunday. I have no idea what went wrong. Any insight would help right now. Her temp in her tank was perfect her humidity was perfect. Everything was great until about 5 mins ago when she just basically went into cardiac arrest. Before you buy these guys do you look at them? Do you suggest looking at them in detail? I have a ball python but this is my first time buying a frog from someone. Im so... speechless... because I really did everything by the books for this guy... at least I thought. Looking at her though it looks like she had some small red dots under her belly. And I don't think she was missing any toes the one just looked in flamed. I attached more photos of her foot and of her enclosure.

Ps. Heather I wish I got your answer sooner =(

Name:  IMG_3601.jpg
Views: 1558
Size:  67.8 KBName:  IMG_3583.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  65.4 KBName:  IMG_3546.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  92.2 KB

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Jeppie92 View Post
    She just passed away I just got him Sunday. I have no idea what went wrong. Any insight would help right now. Her temp in her tank was perfect her humidity was perfect. Everything was great until about 5 mins ago when she just basically went into cardiac arrest. Before you buy these guys do you look at them? Do you suggest looking at them in detail? I have a ball python but this is my first time buying a frog from someone. Im so... speechless... because I really did everything by the books for this guy... at least I thought. Looking at her though it looks like she had some small red dots under her belly. And I don't think she was missing any toes the one just looked in flamed. I attached more photos of her foot and of her enclosure.

Ps. Heather I wish I got your answer sooner =(

Name:  IMG_3601.jpg
Views: 1558
Size:  67.8 KBName:  IMG_3583.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  65.4 KBName:  IMG_3546.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  92.2 KB
    Oh no . I'm so sorry.

The foot looks as of she got it caught or cut on something? Maybe it got infected. It's hard to say.

Did she have a seizure like activity or just freeze up and fall over?

Was she eating for you?

I do check over my frogs before buying them. Although, 6 of my 7 were purposefully bought to rescue and heal.

If you plan to get another be sure to give them a good assessment. They should have nice bright clear eyes, nice moist, green skin without sores or wounds, skin should not have brown or light green, or red spots. They should curl up into a leaf shape when sleeping and should sleep during the day when the lights are on, they should wake at dark. They should have energy when awake and should be able to walk, climb, and leap without effort and without any twitching or limb dragging. They have good coordination when healthy. They should be high in the tank on the branches and leaves. it is not normal for them to lay on the ground. They should eat and desire to hunt. They tend to be lanky, but should not be too thin. They should not be bloated. Their stools should be brown, softly formed and without foul odor.

An overall viewing of their eyes, skin, nutritional status, desire to eat, energy and agility when awake, and feces can tell you a lot about their health. Some of the other variants can be based on their housing and can be corrected.

Another good thing to keep in mind is where you purchase them. I would only buy from a reputable breeder or place you know sells healthy frogs.

The tank is pretty. They like a bit of height and like to climb among the tree tops on the leaves and branches. They will sleep on the leaves hanging down from the top. If you decide to get another frog(s), I would clean everything out to be sure the baby that has passed did not contaminate the tank. Change out the substrates after wiping out the glass. You can do a 10% diluted bleach water dip to the branch, plants, rocks, water bowl... followed by a thorough rinse to remove all bleach, and another rinse with extra dechlorinator to remove any bleach residue. It is toxic to them and can also burn them if not removed. This will kill bacteria.

If you still like to answer the link questions it may still help to determine any issues.

I am sorry for your loss . I wish I'd have seen your post sooner also.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Im very sorry its always very tough for
    an animal to pass on into the great beyond
    "A Righteous man cares for his animals" - Proverbs 12:10
    1.0.0 Correlophus cilliatus
    2.1.0 Bombina orientalis
    0.1.0 Ambystoma mexicanum
    0.0.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    1.0.0 Litoria caerulea
    1.1.0 Dendrobates auratus "Nicaraguan"
    0.0.2 Dendrobates tinctorius "Azureus"

Banned
    Nationality
    [United States]

This is upsetting!!! GRRRR. WHere did you purchase the frog from? Please make testimonial in the testimonial section on this website. Thats 2 unsuccessfull RETF stories this week. Im not happy. Jeppie I am a RETF breeder and i would like to offer you one of mine come JUNE if you are on the WEST COAST. Im very sorry it did not work out. I still stand by my statement of a cut / amputated toe. However it did look treatable... One thing to keep in mind when you have a sick or injured frog is not to handle them much. I see you did what you had to do to show us pictures so we can see what the problem is. =/ I agree with heather and that you had a nice setup...I would invest in a TALLER tank though for Tree frogs with Larger leaf plants. They love to climb and its just not the proper tank for that type of frog. I wish you the best of luck and keep in touch with us so we can continue to help you on your journey of living with RETF's. Sincerely - CJ Pelcher

Thread Information