Thread: Infrared & white light...

Nationality
    [Denmark]

Default Infrared & white light...

Hey... I've been using this 50w Infrared as spot, but it has been very red (of course) in the tank, and I'm thinking about using white light (40w) too... I tried the combination today, then my frog were starting to go to the bath (never seen it) and jumping around... after I turned the white light off again, he were starting to use old, and new places to hide, and now he's sitting at the new place...

I don't know if it's too much light for him, or it's better just to use red... (can they see good, even if it's only red?)

Thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Infrared & white light...

do you have albino?
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [United States]

Your Ornate may have been startled or just being active. They will sometimes debate on where they want to burrkw and the majority of the time they pick a favorite spot and settle in there for days. If the white light was overly bright it may have hurt his eyes some and thus made him actively search for a place to hide from it.

Nationality
    [Denmark]

No, it's not here you go: Name:  DSC_0044.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  81.7 KB

Nationality
    [Denmark]

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    Your Ornate may have been startled or just being active. They will sometimes debate on where they want to burrkw and the majority of the time they pick a favorite spot and settle in there for days. If the white light was overly bright it may have hurt his eyes some and thus made him actively search for a place to hide from it.
    Ohhh, yeah maybe it where too lightening up... I think I'll buy an bulb that's more "softly"...
    By the way, I have been thinking about - as you know - buying this reptiglo-bulbs, and have two questions here: 1) is there a difference in the sharpness of light between - for example - reptiglo 2.0 and 5.0? 2) are they generally very sharp? (because, then I simply don't buy it)

Nationality
    [Canada]

right, you have ornate, forgot

just get simple low voltage energy saving lamp, i have 13W ones, cheap and saves energy
    out of uvb the 13w 2.0 should do too, it is pretty dim, but uvb are way more expensive vs regular lamps, and since there's no need, why buy?
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [Denmark]

I'm sorry, but very much says that Froggy needs UVB-light and so on... but when Lija and Grif says it dosen't matter, I really don't know what to say... but I think maybe you're right that Froggy doesen't need it... but, why does for example anoles need UVB, when pacman doesen't??

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Zlitni View Post
    I'm sorry, but very much says that Froggy needs UVB-light and so on... but when Lija and Grif says it dosen't matter, I really don't know what to say... but I think maybe you're right that Froggy doesen't need it... but, why does for example anoles need UVB, when pacman doesen't??
    Anoles are reptiles not amphibians and most reptiles bask in the sun to thermoregulate and absorb UVA and UVB radiation. UVB is used by their bodies to properly metabolize calcium go bone by stimulating the body to produce Vitamin D3. Pacman frogs do not bask and actually will almost never see the sun. They live on the forest floor of dense rainforests or in flooded temperate grasslands where they remain burrowed into the soil during the day. They emerge at night to feed, but usually only their head so that they can see and ambush unsuspecting prey thay may wonder by. They get Vitamin D3 in other ways such as the live prey that they eat which in the wild consists mostly of vertabrates like small rodents, lizards, snakes, and other frogs including others of the same species up until adulthood. They also feed on a wide variety of invertabrates too. They benefit from low levels of UVB radiation for 4 to 6 hours a day, but like I have already told you it is not necessary.

Nationality
    [Denmark]

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    Anoles are reptiles not amphibians and most reptiles bask in the sun to thermoregulate and absorb UVA and UVB radiation. UVB is used by their bodies to properly metabolize calcium go bone by stimulating the body to produce Vitamin D3. Pacman frogs do not bask and actually will almost never see the sun. They live on the forest floor of dense rainforests or in flooded temperate grasslands where they remain burrowed into the soil during the day. They emerge at night to feed, but usually only their head so that they can see and ambush unsuspecting prey thay may wonder by. They get Vitamin D3 in other ways such as the live prey that they eat which in the wild consists mostly of vertabrates like small rodents, lizards, snakes, and other frogs including others of the same species up until adulthood. They also feed on a wide variety of invertabrates too. They benefit from low levels of UVB radiation for 4 to 6 hours a day, but like I have already told you it is not necessary.
    Thank you very much! I'm skipping the UVB-bulb-idea...

Thread Information