Thread: Overfeeding.

JJohnsen

Question Overfeeding.

Is it possible to overfeed frogs? Do they stop eating when they are full, or are they like dogs and will eat till they get sick? I ask because one of my frogs are looking kinda chubby. lol. And, I haven't had her for very long.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Overfeeding.

Depends on the frog, some are picky but most are rather voracious and will eat as much as they possibly can. If your frog has become overweight, cut back on food.

Even higher species of animals will over eat (and then proceed to vomit) when given half a chance. Look at dogs and cats, both will indulge if there is an over abundance of food. In nature food is generally much much more scarce therefore it is their instinct to binge if they are able to do so.

So to answer your question? Yes you can easily over feed frogs, and for that matter most animals.

purpleturtle89

i think it depends on the frog we have WTF who will eat anything and we have a problem with the girlfriends mum who likes to feed it ... then we have a gliding frog who eats when hes hungry no more no less. You have to know what YOUR frog is like and you get into a routine and generally all falls in to place, just keep an eye on over eating you'll know your frog will be fat

100+ Post Member Gnag the nameless's Avatar
    Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I have never, ever seen my juvenile bullfrog, Gnag, full. She's always been eager for more crickets and earthworms, despite the fact I feed her 5-8 each night, earthworms occasionally. The same goes for my Green frog. Gnag's a bit of a fat frog, but I keep an eye on her weight. It's hard to tell whether they are overweight while they are sitting, because their legs are pressed against their body, making them appear to be fat. From my experience, the best way to judge if a frog is overweight is to look at them when they are swimming, or simply weighing them. Since both Gnag and Bumpy are relatively skittish, I can only judge their weight by looking at them when they are out and hunting by the lily pads. However, this works fine for me, since the water is always very clear. Also, I can check for any abnormalities at this time too, such as red spots or bumps.

For my Chorus frog, which is slightly more similar to a White's than a bullfrog, I check his weight by simply watching him swim in his water bowl. Despite the fact I mist his environment 3 times a day, he still likes to go into his water bowl at night occasionally, and stare at crickets from the waterline before leaping at them. Unlike my bullfrog, he'll only eat a couple of crickets and then be done with it, and he will only hunt in darkness. He's very similar to my salamanders in this aspect, whilst my bullfrog and green frog will hunt in the evening. So, yeah, Michael is right. It truly does depend on the frog. However, I find that some species, mostly the larger ones, will take food faster than others.
    My Amphibians:
    1.0.0 Rana Catesbiana (Bumpy Digtoad )
    1.0.0 Pseudacris Regilla (Levi )
    1.1.0 Ambystoma Macrodactylum (Urtham and Gargan )
    2.2.0 Bombina Orientalis ( Rosa, Sasha, Aleksis, and Dimitri )

Rest in Peace, Gnag the Nameless, Chrome, and Thermidor

Terrencexyk11

My pacman frog will lose all interest in food once he/she had enough.

Thread Information