Thread: How to Worm FBT's

firefly

Default How to Worm FBT's

I've read that FBTs need to be wormed when WC. The shop where I bought mine said they were CB but you can't always believe what you are told.

Can I ask 1, how to worm them, and 2, what with please ??

Many thx

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Kurt

Default Re: How to Worm FBT's

The drugs needed are fenbendazole (for worms) and metronidazole (for protozoa). You will need to visit your vet to get these drugs. It would also be a very good idea to bring a fresh fecal sample with you when you go. See the fire-bellied care article for the details.

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by firefly View Post
    said they were CB but you can't always believe what you are told.
    You are quite correct. I've never heard of CB fire bellied toads for sale in a pet shop anywhere, Europe or the US.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Paul Rust

You can worm them yourself using Panacur (fenbendazole). Just dust their food for 3 consecutive feedings. You can also do your own fecal exams. Do an internet search and you will find articles that tell you how. We treat our animals once a month in this manner. Our fecals are always normal. You can get Panacur at almost any online pet med source for around $7.00. A little goes a long way.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Andie

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Rust View Post
    You can worm them yourself using Panacur (fenbendazole). Just dust their food for 3 consecutive feedings. You can also do your own fecal exams. Do an internet search and you will find articles that tell you how. We treat our animals once a month in this manner. Our fecals are always normal. You can get Panacur at almost any online pet med source for around $7.00. A little goes a long way.

I have Pacific Chorus frogs in a large planted vivarium with a permanent water feature/pond area. Under the land portion there is a thick layer of LECA and a pump that recirculates the water through the LECA which serves as a rather large biological filter, much like an aquarium.

Questions: Should I treat the pond with Panacur to reduce the worm eggs and/or any free living larval stages? Will Panacur do this? If the frogs soak in the Panacur treated water, will it impact the oral dosing? Seems prudent to try to reduce the load the vivarium itself must be carrying, short of tearing it all down and disinfecting it. What would be a good strength? 100mg dog variety Panacur powder for every 10 gallons H2O? When crushed in a mortar with a little water it makes a paste that is rather easily dispersed.

Thanks for your help!

Thread Information