Thread: Newish Pac Man keeper

boep

Default Newish Pac Man keeper

Hey guys not new to the forum I have posted on here about my african clawed before
    anyways just got a pac man a month or so ago and im confused about a few things so maybe someone here can answer a few questions I have

ok heres the set up first

10gal tank
    eco earth mixed with a little bit of moss ( eco earth brand as well )
    15watt aquarium light
    glass lid with some small vents on the side
    small shallow water dish under tank heater ( on the drier side of the tank )
    substrate is about 3" deep on the side with the heater that side tents to stay drier
    and its about 1" on the moister side
    temp is about 80f in the day and 70-75 at night
    moisture is 85%-90%

ok here come the questions!

when i 1st got cookie i tried to feed him a meal worm and he screeched at me and attack with no fear!
    so does this mean he is indeed a boy or no? also how can i get him to do this again so i know what erks him so much?
    he does have some small spots on his throat but he hasnt made a noise since that night maybe the 3rd or 4th night i had him

also he or she always seems to burrie up in the same corner of the aquarium
    he wont eat when anyone is watching only once have i seen him eat i toss a few crickets in ( 3 at a time )
    and they tend to last a day maybe a day and a half he seems to be pooping normally and seems to be growing quite a bit since i got him but i was woundering if there was a way to make him a little more excited about eating when i toss the crickets in?
    also i would like to house another animal in the half of the tank he doesnt use now before anyone flips i planned on using a divider any recommendations or improvements anyone would make ? thanks !

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Newish Pac Man keeper

welcome to the forums! a few things needs to be addressed asap before any problems appeared, actually I'm glad he is still ok. will be back in a bit, hate to type on a thing i have access now lol
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

boep

???????

Nationality
    [Canada]

ok here it goes how big is a frog?

10gal tank
    eco earth mixed with a little bit of moss ( eco earth brand as well )
    you want plain coconut fiber ( plantation soil, exo earth) without moss unless you want to risk impaction
    15watt aquarium light
    what kind of light? and what kind of frog do you have, asking if you have albino or not.

glass lid with some small vents on the side, moisture is 85%-90%
    that part you need to change and as well that would explain humidity that you have, they need air flow and humidity of 75-80, anything higher for longer periods of time especially without good airflow = respiratory problems= bad, really bad

small shallow water dish under tank heater ( on the drier side of the tank )
    substrate is about 3" deep on the side with the heater that side tents to stay drier
    and its about 1" on the moister side
    you need to take UTH and stick it to the side, never use it under tank, you risk burning frog as well they burrow to thermoregulate, it is supposed to be cooler in the substrate, if you have UTH under the tank it is not happening. as well keep it all evenly moist, but not mud like.

temp is about 80f in the day and 70-75 at night
    70 - way too low, you want to keep day 80-82, night 76-78

when i 1st got cookie i tried to feed him a meal worm and he screeched at me and attack with no fear!
    so does this mean he is indeed a boy or no? also how can i get him to do this again so i know what erks him so much?
    he does have some small spots on his throat but he hasnt made a noise since that night maybe the 3rd or 4th night i had him
    first of all mealworms are bad for them, never feed unless you want to risk impaction, but i doubt it. best staple roaches and nightcrawlers with other things added as a treat ( mice no more then once a month, pacman food, hormworms)

in order to sex a frog needs to be mature enough, you can start suspecting a male at about 3"-3.5", you may notice his throat loose like that
    Name:  DSC03633.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  106.0 KB
    but accurate way is to check for nuptial pads (dark coloration on a side of a thumbs closer to body and a mole looking thing looking from upside down) if he has it then it is a male.

Name:  DSC03672.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  63.4 KBName:  DSC03673.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  67.2 KB

also he or she always seems to burrie up in the same corner of the aquarium
    that is normal

he wont eat when anyone is watching only once have i seen him eat i toss a few crickets in ( 3 at a time )
    and they tend to last a day maybe a day and a half he seems to be pooping normally and seems to be growing quite a bit since i got him but i was woundering if there was a way to make him a little more excited about eating when i toss the crickets in?
    you need to fix the conditions first, as well pic of a frog and enclosure would be helpful to make a suggestion to change anything if needed.

also i would like to house another animal in the half of the tank he doesnt use now before anyone flips i planned on using a divider any recommendations
    you can silicone in a divider, but make sure both sides are completely sealed and frogs can't see each other.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

boep

i only fed him meal worms once i have access to dubi roaches but they burrow dont they he is not an albino maybe looking at the pics im uploading you can tell me Name:  IMG_1410.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  51.5 KBName:  IMG_1411.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  170.5 KBName:  DSC08312.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  66.1 KB

Instinct101

Enclosure looks too big for a pac his size, though you say you'd like to divide it. I'd get a wider water dish, too (but not a deep one). You can also add some big fake plants to give him something he can hide under. That may make him a bit more comfortable and perhaps make him a bit bolder about feeding.

For heating I've always used 50W infrared bulbs.

Nationality
    [United States]

Everyone has pretty much covered all that needs addressed and I wouldnget on that ASAP. One other thing to help your frog feel more secure is toncover 3 sides of the tank with some sort or natural background. Static cling backgrounds work well.

As for the threatening screams. This is not an indication of sex. All Ceratophrys whether it be male or female can produce noises and vocalizations. They can hiss, bark, scream, chirp, and make clicking/popping communicaton sounds, but only the make produces a distinct mating call which is very loud. This frog is far to young to be sexed. Once it reaches 2.5" and if it is male it will begin to form nuptial pads like Lija has shown you above.

boep

ok getting a background today maybe some plants a divider and a bigger water dish and possibly another frog also corrected the undertank heater issue ! anything else ?? oh what about calcium powder for the crickets ?
    and no one answered about roaches are they safe to drop in and let roam

Nationality
    [Canada]

awe, s/he is so pretty

roaches - yes, but everything not eaten needs to be taken out, but keep in mind he is not going to eat if he doesn't feel safe, so what I'd do is to redo the tank, then get him a day to settle down and then offer food.

yes get some plants, it is so big and empty now and a frog is so small, he must feel very scared poor guy.
    you need to get ca/vit 3 and multivitamins, and dust food every other feeding with ca and once a week - multivitamins.

and for water dish yes it is small, but can be for now, usually I'm getting clay dishes for plant pots, cheap and perfect size

boep

Ok picked up another frog from petsmart the other day he was pretty cheep and tiny at that so i divided the tank put in some fake plants got cookie a new water dish moved the old heater pad to the back of the tank now im having 2 problems the heat wouldnt rise about 75f so i got a larger heater i was using one for a 5gallon tank and it seemed to keep the heat up but when i moved it to the back the problem started and now even with a larger pad the temp is still lower then i would like also since i took off half of the glass lid ( to let air flow ) the humidity has dropped to 70% help me out here what am i doing wrong!

Nationality
    [Canada]

just make sure the divider is sealed in and not see through.

heat pad - yeah it happens and that is why i like heat lamps better

humidity - you have 2 options - mist more or get a fogger. as well make sure your gauges are good, digital are the best.

boep

Ok here come more questions ..... ok Muffin our new baby is chasing food around ( its kind of funny ) is this normal should i feed him more ... on the other hand cookie is just lying in his spot not doing a thing... hes still alive whats his deal?

temp is around 80 humidity is 85%

boep

Thought id post pics with the update just picked up a repti glo tropical terrarium bulb for my lamp its a 5.0 uvb the color is freaking awesome dont know if yall are using one but its way better then the one i had here are some updated pics with the divider and new stuff still having feeding problems with cookie though
    muffin seems happy as can be and very active

Name:  IMG_1447.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  59.3 KBName:  IMG_1446.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  118.0 KBName:  IMG_1445.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  76.1 KB

Thread Information