Thread: Got my second species of Theloderma

Nationality
    [Sweden]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Got my second species of Theloderma

Hi all!

I have aquired a second species of my new favourite genus. Last week I got home a group of 5 young Theloderma asperum from Hamm. They seem to have settled in pretty good and I have found them in the feeding bin at night so I'm sure that at least some of them are eating. Been counting the roach nymphs too and they get fewer.

They are way more active and less shy then my T. gordoni wich is alot of fun! He is always hiding in the water but these guys sit in the open and even hangs around on the glass. Great fun to watch!

I have dared to disturb them a little now that I've seen them eat so here's some pictures:

Name:  thel03.JPG
Views: 181
Size:  43.4 KBName:  thel01.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  70.2 KBName:  thel02.JPG
Views: 267
Size:  80.2 KB

Hope you enjoy!

/Raya

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Eric Walker

Default Re: Got my second species of Theloderma

Very nice raya ! i don't know if you caught the new thread I put up a week ago on them but I was finally able to get a ton of pictures loaded. Just had 9tads drop last night and a few more eggs laid . I really wish someone over here was breeding gordonii. Only time I have ever seen them come in I was leaving for Mexico for a week and they were unwilling to hold them for me even with a full prepayment. I never heard anything more about them. I know someone who was working with stellatum as well but I don't think he's had much luck breeding them.
    Now that i think of it im going to contact him. Im also hoping to acquire a few licin here shortly. Been wanting these for years. Im a bit of a Theloderma fanatic as well

Nationality
    [Sweden]

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Walker View Post
    Very nice raya ! i don't know if you caught the new thread I put up a week ago on them but I was finally able to get a ton of pictures loaded. Just had 9tads drop last night and a few more eggs laid . I really wish someone over here was breeding gordonii. Only time I have ever seen them come in I was leaving for Mexico for a week and they were unwilling to hold them for me even with a full prepayment. I never heard anything more about them. I know someone who was working with stellatum as well but I don't think he's had much luck breeding them.
    Now that i think of it im going to contact him. Im also hoping to acquire a few licin here shortly. Been wanting these for years. Im a bit of a Theloderma fanatic as well

Hi and thanks!

Yeah I saw your thread, great pictures in there! I'm hoping there's a female among these guys but I think they're to young to tell yet.
    If there is a female and I find eggs someday I guess I must discard them and start looking for another male since these guys are probably siblings.

It's easy becoming a fanatic when you discover these guys!

If you get some licin you must post here asap! They are so beautiful!
    Myself I'm hoping to get either a T. corticale or T. bicolor next. I want a green one!

Eric Walker

It depends. Are the frogs f1/ f2. how many adults did the person you bought them from have together. It doesn't really become to much of a problem until a few generations in with frogs when breeding them back. if they were from the same female and different males for example it wouldn't be a problem at all. I would say let them grow and look for signs of developmental issues first. I will post as soon as they settle when i get some licin. are you planning on getting some more broadleaf plants in their. Mine don't hang out on them to often but it would be goodd cover to make them feel more secure. A nice sized philodendron perhaps. Feel free to post any pictures as well in my thread. That's what its there for. Best of luck with them. They are incredible frogs for sure.

Nationality
    [Sweden]

It depends. Are the frogs f1/ f2. how many adults did the person you bought them from have together. It doesn't really become to much of a problem until a few generations in with frogs when breeding them back. if they were from the same female and different males for example it wouldn't be a problem at all. I would say let them grow and look for signs of developmental issues first. I will post as soon as they settle when i get some licin. are you planning on getting some more broadleaf plants in their. Mine don't hang out on them to often but it would be goodd cover to make them feel more secure. A nice sized philodendron perhaps. Feel free to post any pictures as well in my thread. That's what its there for. Best of luck with them. They are incredible frogs for sure.
    Sorry for taking so long to reply to my own thread!

I will contact the breeder and ask for some info on the parents. Guess it's a while until they have matured enough to be able to breed anyway.

The reason I didn't put many plants in at first is that I thought I hade to release the roach nymphs in the enclosure when feeding. I thought that more plants would give the roaches to many places to hide.
    But these guys had no problem feeding from a bowl, unlike my T. gordoni, so this is not an issue at all. So I might get some more plants in there even tought they seem perfectly secure as it is. I'll look into this philodendron.

Tonight actually saw them feed wich was sooo much fun! As I've said, my T. gordoni is so shy that I've never seen him feed. He freezes up or hides when he sees me.

Here's some new pics:

Name:  Thel06.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  76.8 KBName:  Thel04.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  87.4 KBName:  Thel05.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  75.3 KB

Enjoy!

Nationality
    [Sweden]

Update: I found something that looks like eggs in the tank. Didn't want to try to take them out since I'm afraid to damage them if they really are eggs.
    I took some pics in someone wanna take a look but it was hard to get good focus under water.

Here they are (the white little dots in the back):
    Name:  asperumz 003.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  57.5 KBName:  asperumz 001.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  50.1 KB

Some bonus pics of two of the frogs:
    Name:  asperumz 005.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  56.9 KBName:  asperumz 004.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  58.8 KB

So, will I have some asperum babies soon?

Eric Walker

Those aren't fertile eggs. Fertile eggs are black and are laid stuck to something overhanging the water. They could possibly be eggs laid that ended up in the water that went bad and got cloudy.

Nationality
    [Sweden]

Those aren't fertile eggs. Fertile eggs are black and are laid stuck to something overhanging the water. They could possibly be eggs laid that ended up in the water that went bad and got cloudy.
    Yeah, I did take them out of the tank short after my post. They must be eggs that has fallen into the water and got bad. Or maby they were not fertile to begin with, I don't know..

Still I'm very excited since this means I have a female in there!

Thread Information