Thread: Hi, Bronze Mantella Keeper

FishChum

Question Hi, Bronze Mantella Keeper

Hi, 'Im new here. have 4 Bronze Mantellas in a 20 tall vivarium with live moss and Bromilliads. A DIY misting system. Ive had my Mantells for week of so, bought two and had to run back for more before they sold out. They where locally bread and a great price. Set up the tank for dart frogs but when I spotted the Mantellas I scooped them up. I know I have at least one male thats been calling, amusing there are two female's I'm still unshere about the 4th, does anyone know if only one male will call with Mantellas?

P.S. Great Forum!

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Hi, Bronze Mantella Keeper

welcome to the forums!
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Hi, Bronze Mantella Keeper

Welcome to the forum!
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

FishChum

Thanks

FishChum

I have been reading about so many sweet vivarium's and looking at the pic's. My apartment is not big and I have it set up just the way I like it, but I'm feeling bit by the vivarium bug, like I need another viv already, . Love the idea of something like an antique looking glass container, jar, kinda thing, maybe something low tech and not very large. Just an idea I have kicking around in my head. Big enough for maybe two tiny frogs. sorta old school laboratory terrarium looking thing. My apartment has a kinda antique looking style to it right now so I might go with that and set it up in the future. for now I want to get a good grip on the regular care of the frogs I have.

Welcome to the forum. Mantellas are great frogs. Until recently, I kept 8 mantella betsileo and 4 mantella baroni. A Victorian apothecary viv is an excellent idea. I have actually been searching for a nice sized, authentic jar for months that was decently priced. They bring in big bucks. You may be able to find a replica, but even then, they are not cheap by any means.

Enjoy the frogs. And for what it's worth, 90% of mantellas sold in the hobby are WC. The only company I know of that actively breeds them is understory. If you didn't get them from UE, it's just something to think about.
    If there are numerous males, they will all call. Normally, males will climb high in the enclosure and protect their territory. Females will generally stay at ground level, although mine did climb from time to time.
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

FishChum

Thanks for the info. The pet shop guy told me a friend of his had bread and raised the frogs, they had a few dozen for 23.99 each frog. CB or WC I love them. understory is not far from me as well, I recently bough some carpet moss from there, so who knows there may be a connection. Your talk of Victorian apothecary viv is getting me going again.

Go for it. Hopefully, you'll have more luck finding one than I did. I planned on doing it as a "wedding tank". The tank would have been old, everything inside was the new, was gonna borrow a plant from my kid for the borrowed and it would have had blue darts for the blue. I think I'm going to take some time and find some sort of steam punk machinery that I can convert to a Viv. Something that lookslime it came directly out of an H.G. Wells novel should do the trick
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

FishChum

I love steam punk stuff, kinda what i was thinking about with that, my apartment kinda hints steampunk and Ive bought some steampunk art jewlery in the past. look up steam punk terrariums, like old light bulbs and stuff. I might get the bottom chopped off a wine making carboy and turn it into a viv. use a wooden platter for the base and hollow cork top. probably add a cut short flower pot inside so it can be opened, just dont know what i would keep in it as far as animals go. the carboys are 6 u.s. gallons so would be able to add 1-2 tiny critters. just a rough idea so far nothing concrete.

Thank goodness! Someone who speaks the same language as me...lol I love the steam punk movement. Such cool items floating around. The wine bottle sounds really cool. There is so much from that era that can be converted. It's just a matter of creativity and $$$$.
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

FishChum

I have thought a larger viv put together from smallish panel type windows to look like a green house would be cool and sorta Victorian. Even a tiny one would be cool like that, Ive seen some small greenhouse looking terrariums online for sale. When I was on the move a lot the only setup i could have was my beta fish with a live plant in a small tank, no light just windows. small setup's can be fun and convenient at times. Its nice to have a friend you can take with you when your moving often.

The item you are talking about is called a wardian case. They were very popular terrariums at the turn of the 20th century. They are starting to gain popularity again. You should be able to find one at a decent price nowadays. And I agree, small tanks are fun, but more of a challenge. At least as far as aquatics go. I've built numerous nano tanks. All the way down to less that a gallon.
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

FishChum

Wowzers you know your stuff! I think it would be a fun challenge, as you say, keeping a pair of frogs in a wardian case. moving it into warmer spots on cool days and to the window for light when weather permits, tiny bits of misting, trimming plant in a sorta bonzi fashion. little moss and some nice landscaping. sounds very steampunk-ish as well. could even use an old aspirator and other antique looking equipment, thermometer and such to have the whole package. sounds cool!

Thread Information