I am new here to the site, but I must admit I have been referring to it quite often since we got our Green tree frogs, fire belly toads and anoles a few months ago. There is tons of information and your posts have been a big help!
We currently have our little family in a 40 gallon aquarium with about 25% water area. We have a reptile filter in the water. The ground is organic..now I cant remember if it's organic top soil or organic potting soil. (But I do know it doesn't have the perlite in it) We also have some red wigglers in the dirt. On top we have Spagham moss (which we clean out and put fresh in once a week. Boiled first and cooled down before adding to the tank). Currently we have 4 live plants in there, and a fake vine thing hanging across the back (which I HATE). We also have 2 rocks that are in there. One is directly under the lights and one is in the middle partially under the lights. Then we have a rock in the water area as well. We made the water area with Lexan and aquarium safe silicone.
I know it's not the best idea to mix species, but honestly they all pretty much stick to themselves. I guess the tank is big enough that they can all get away from each other.
Currently we are feeding them crickets at about 700-730 PM and their lights go out about 1030 -1100 PM. I have seen each one of them get crickets, although the green tree frogs don't seem to eat every day, usually every other day. I also did put some rosy red (minnows I guess) in the water and I believe the firebellies got those.
We spray down the tank usually 3 times a day. (Last one always after they've eaten, about 2 hours before lights out)
So here's my question>>>>We have been doing a lot of research since we will be adding leopard geckos and bearded dragons to our home soon (in totally seperate tanks) and I have learned a lot about impaction. Recently I saw one of the fire belly and last night one of the tree frogs get some moss in their mouths while eating crickets. Both used their front feet to kind of pull the little bit they had in their mouth out. But now I am thinking maybe we should have something else in there instead????
I worked in a pet store for 10 years, but we all know pet stores aren't the best place for gaining knowledge, and honestly they only had Anoles back then. I had toads growing up as a kid, but honestly I dot recall what we had for substrate. I'm kind of thinking something horrible like aquarium gravel?? (that was before computers, so who knew?) Anyway, would the coco fiber be better? (Not worried abouut messy water, I will gladly clean it out if it's better for them!) Or should I do a layer of moss on the dirt???