Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wounded Tree Frog

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Wounded Tree Frog

Hey guys!

The pet store I work at just got some WTFs in the other day. Three of the four looked great, but we have one that doesn't look happy at all. It's left back leg has a puncture wound and is now swollen. After calling the company we ordered them through, we placed a little dab of salt water on the wound like he said. 'He' also has a cut on the inside of his leg (knee?) and tends to keep the leg tucked closer to his body than the other. I have attached the image of the wound to this post.

Any help in getting this little guy or gal back in tiptop shape so we can find a good home (more than likely it will be with me after this)? I am currently at work and am posting this now. I am going to e-mail Dr. Frye tonight when I get home.

Thanks!

EDIT: I added the red circle around the wound in paint...just so no one thinks that is part of the issue. ^.^
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Wounded Tree Frog

You should apply Bactine to the wound. Bactine is safe for amphibians and will help in the healing process by preventing bacterial infections.
    Terry Gampper
    Nebraska Herpetological Society

“If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.”
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

Eric Walker

Neosporin without any pain releaver twice a day is a good start to get it healing. A course of baytril as well wouldn't be a bad idea to take care of any infection that it might have. The baytril will have to come from a vet and since your contacting Dr. Frye im sure he will discuss that with.you. As for the salt water that doesn't sound like a good idea at all to me. The salt will draw moisture out of the skin which isn't good for frogs. im not positive but i don't know of any frogs that are found to inhabit saltwater.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I was thinking that the salt water bath wasn't a good idea either. =/ I will have to stop by the store before work tomorrow and pick up some Bactine. Might use it on my frog who keeps rubbing his nose on the glass. Same with the Neosporin.

I need to e-mail Dr. Frye right now. Haven't had a chance to do it since I got home. =x

Nationality
    [United States]

Either the Bactine or Original neosporin should help.

Keep him in a quarantine tank alone until he heels. Use only paper towels as substrate and changed daily. Be sure to rinse the water bowl daily and refill with fresh dechlorinated water or spring water.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Crazy idea..Can I use Iodine on it? I am looking at the pet store that I work at and we don't have any Neosporin or Bactine!

Nationality
    [United States]

No iodine . You can use plain bacitracin. It's by the neosporin.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Nationality
    [United States]

You can get neosporin (without pain reliever) or bacitracin at any store like Walmart, Kmart, or in the first aid section of any grocery store. It should be near the bandaides.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I was just trying to figure out anything in the store we could use. I don't get off work for another 6 hours.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

What about Zoo Med's Repti Wound-Helaing Aid? It has Jojoba oil, 8-quinolinol and ti (tea) tree oil.

Worth a shot?

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Sarosaurus View Post
    What about Zoo Med's Repti Wound-Helaing Aid? It has Jojoba oil, 8-quinolinol and ti (tea) tree oil.

Worth a shot?
    I am not certain, I have never used it. Does it say it's safe for amphibians?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

It says that it's safe to use on toads.

My mom is a saint. She stopped by Rite-Aid and grabbed me some Neosporin, Bactine and Pedialyte (in case we might need it). How often should I spray on the Bactine and use the Neosporin? I am also putting some Repta-Boost on order at work so I have that on hand as well. My little guy (not sure really on gender right now xD) didn't eat today and I am not sure if he ate yesterday or the two days before. The Repta-Boost won't be here until Tuesday. Any idea on what I should try feeding him until it arrives? He didn't seem interested in the crickets at all. =/

Nationality
    [United States]

You can use either Bactine or orig neosporin daily. Be sure the neosporin doesn't have any pain killer in it. The "caines" as in benzocaine and lidocaine are actually used to euthanize frogs/toads.

Earth worms or night crawlers cut to size work great, are easy to digest, and nutritious. Do you have tongs? The pieces should be about the size of the distance between his eyes, or less. Once he learns to eat worms, they can be larger, but it's a safe starter size. Worms are pliable, unlike crickets . If you put them in front of them right after you cut them, they wiggle a lot, so cut them right before you feed them to him. Pr you can try and scoot them toward him and make them wiggle. Ivoryreptiles used to say to make the worms do the "zombie dance", lol! this is how I got my pacs to tale them . (Thanks Ivory!)

If you try worms, cut from the back end of the worm, the lighter end, so the front half can live for you. They will seal off and live until you cut at the level of the heart. I'm sorry, that sounds a bit gross :/. But, it will allow you to have more worms for longer.

Avoid red worms (red wiggles), they secrete a foul mucous when cut or bitten. It is likely he won't eat them anyway.

Reptaboost is a great thing to have on hand in case he quits eating.

The goal is to get him eating while minimizing stress. We want him to eat on his own. Even though you have to care for him, try to remain out of his tank as much as possible. Try setting the food in front of him first...see if he'll do it on his own. Watch from slightly afar being nice and quiet. If you have to intervene, then you have to.

He's probably also stressed from the move. Getting used to his new home. He needs some time to settle in. Once he's comfy and knows you're not going to eat him, he should start to relax.

Do you have him in a hospital tank?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Bactine has Lidocaine in it though. I'm confused now... xD

That doesn't sounds gross to me. I used to go fishing, so I am used to dealing with earthworms. We are out of earthworms right now (of course we have to be out of stock or not have the things I need to care properly for this little gal/gal). I think I can get some in on Tuesday as well. They'll be the smaller earthworms which might turn out to be easier to feed, I hope.

I do have him in a hospital tank, but I don't have an extra heat source for it because it's plastic. I ended up setting the smaller inside the tank I have my pair of WTFs in under the heat lamp. My male seems to like to sit on top of the tank, but that's all he does. I have a towel covering a majority of the tank so there's nothing too stimulating for him though.

Nationality
    [United States]

Stick to the neosporin then. I wish they had a frog care store with available OTC meds just right for them. We should open one .

Great! The worms should work well. You can try the crickets again.

I think having the hospital keeper inside the big tank should work for heat. Just be very careful in treating the injured fella last. Just in case he has any bacteria in the wound (though it doesn't look like it) be careful not to contaminate your other frogs. Treat him as if he is 'sick' until healed. It's the best way.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Yes! Let's open our own frog care store!

I used the Bactine on him once and that was last night. I read your post and just stuck to the Neosporin after I changed his paper towels and water. He stayed in his water dish all last night as far as I know. Poor guy. Apollo (my little male) perched on top of the keeper early this AM (?) like he's watching over him. It's really cute. If I get him all healed up, he's going to be mine.

18. This member thanks Sarosaurus for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

I think you'll be really attached after healing him . I've found that my sickest ones healed seem to like me most...or at least it seems like it .

My ultimate idea would be to have a amphibian/reptile/aquariums theme park...zoo, amusement park, water park, gift stores....everything designed around my favorite critters .

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I am already attached to him! ^^ He is definitely going to be stuck with me for the rest of his life's. Hehe.

Now that idea is awesome. Those are some of my favorite things too!

The little fella has pooped twice over the last two days! Who knew one could get this excited over poop?! I got called in to work for a few hours, so I am going to grab some crickets because he doesn't seem too interested in the worms. Also going to grab my reptaboost and liquid calcium supplement while I am there. I have reptivite already.. he seems to be a little more alert this AM while Apollo is watching over him.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Quote Originally Posted by Heatheranne View Post
    My ultimate idea would be to have a amphibian/reptile/aquariums theme park...zoo, amusement park, water park, gift stores....everything designed around my favorite critters .
    oh yeah!!!!!!! that would be so cool!

Sarah, your mom is totally awesome! you can tell her that
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [United States]

Great job!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information