Thread: Sexing, and adspersus vs Edillius

bullythefrog

Default Sexing, and adspersus vs Edillius

Hi Everyone!

Can I confirm two things:
    - this frog is a female (based on everything I've read in the carehseet and the forum). S/he is now 4 inches long.
    - this is Pyxicephalus adspersus not Edillius

Thanks all!

Name:  photo(1).JPG
Views: 227
Size:  116.3 KBName:  image.jpeg
Views: 217
Size:  106.0 KBName:  image(1).jpeg
Views: 195
Size:  103.9 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

ejh805

Default Re: Sexing, and adspersus vs Edillius

Looks like an adspersus to me

def adspersus but as for a female?? im leaning towards male more than female...u know how old it is?

bullythefrog

Quote Originally Posted by habeeb View Post
    def adspersus but as for a female?? im leaning towards male more than female...u know how old it is?
    S/he is about 3.5 months old! Growing quite fast because of the high protein diet

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

that is a giant for sure, it looks female to me based on head shape and proportion to the body.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

bullythefrog

Thanks for the feedback! If she's female and is 4 inches now, does that mean she only has 2 more inches to grow?

also, does anyone think shes too obese for her age - i.e., do I need to cut back on her food intake?

thanks all

Nationality
    [Canada]

she might not grow anymore or grow a little, she seems to be ok, not too fat.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

shes fine...i think my female is fatter lol mine is only 4 inchs and pretty much stopped growing

bullythefrog

I see. thanks for the feedback again.

I would like your thoughts on this other frog. I suspect this is female too, and s/he is now 5.3 inches SVL. Massively fat as s/he eats self-bred live frog feeders/mice.

Is it a male? Too obese?
    Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 197
Size:  144.0 KBName:  image_3.jpeg
Views: 179
Size:  105.7 KBName:  image_1.jpeg
Views: 202
Size:  132.0 KBName:  image_2.jpeg
Views: 182
Size:  109.9 KBName:  image_4.jpeg
Views: 246
Size:  128.0 KB

Nationality
    [Canada]

oh god.... that a very obese frog, you want to cut food big time and put her on a crush diet asap before it is not too late, no more mice, nightcrawlers only and limit intake.

bullythefrog

Oh no!! They can die of obesity??

This is not my frog by the way, but one I was considering getting. In that case, should I not get him/her?

Nationality
    [Canada]

they sure can, imagine a very obese people, they would die out of obesity but technically it is going to be from something else, same with frogs, fat will accumulate in vital organs, eyes and it simply a matter of time when they are going to pass away. young frogs body will try to fight it, bt the longer it is going on the less chances the frog has.
    just make sure you are putting him on a diet gradually, meaning don't starve her right away, but no more mice or fish or whatever else she is eating, nightcrawlers, dubia, ever crickets, less and less each feeding, smaller amounts but more frequent and extend time between feedings gradually so the frog got used to increasingly less food.

P.S. oh just saw you are considering getting her, well it's up to you of course, you may save her.

bullythefrog

I see.. thanks for the advice!!

Right now I understand that she is being fed american bullfroglets (1.5-2inch) and mice (various sizes) daily. I suppose that must be the reason for the obesity

If I get her, we dont have dubias over here and clean nightcrawlers are hard to get too, and I dont think she will take dead food on tongs.

Can I feed her crickets and small amounts of superworms every 2-3 days just to maintain her energy level? Also should I give her a big space to encourage her to hop around and "exercise" to catch her prey?

Thanks!

seeing ur new pics u posted she is a she indeed and she is obese....i feed mine male and female mainly dubias but if u cant get any then ur best bet would be gut loaded crickets...but id say like feeding her every 2-3 days for 15 mins of all she can eat crickets will be fine for her...and help make her become healthier....no more mice for awhile...it contains too much fat...superworms contain a lot of fat as well and shouldnt be feed often either but just as a snack...hope this helps

bullythefrog

Thanks for the advice! I think I will try to save her

17. This member thanks bullythefrog for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Sounds like a bad diet. Don't rescue pets from stores. They will just replace them and continue the cycle of abuse. Not sure if its at a store, and base on the diet I doubt it. I also doubt the bullfroglet feeders are cultured.

I would steer cleer of this frog. Diet should be nightcrawlers, roaches, with crickets once a week if she'll still eat them (females usually do). Mice only occasionally (stick with young rodents...i.e. rat fuzzies/hoppers depending on frog size). I only feed rodent/fowl every 45-60 days.
    Thanks
    DW

Thread Information