Thread: im a killer.. of moss lol

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    xboxQueen

Default im a killer.. of moss lol

Ok the plants, the things I was worried about the most seem to be doing great. Phew, what a relief lol

But seriously.. how horrible can one be if I can't even grow moss? Roflmfao.. really tho, moss? That's the stuff I couldn't kill and prevent from growing in my yard at my old house. I even dumped bleach on it. But I can't grow it in a tank. Wow, I feel humiliated.

Ok ok, now I can stop.picking on myself and ask everyone here with a green thumb.. what am I doing wrong? It's turning brown. I planted some ontop of sphagnam moss, some on a hard wood stick thingie and some on a fake resin log. I used thread to hold it in place until it took. Well it instantly turned green when placed in there and then a day or so later started growing cob webs, I'm sure that's a fungusy thing. I have a 6500k T8 and its humid, the back and sides of the tank have moisture on it but then when I saw it was turning brown, I was like well maybe I need to mist it anyway. That didn't help.

Am I doing something wrong? Is it possible some of the moss ya get just doesn't replant well? There's only one piece of the sheet moss that's doing good, still very green and no webby stuff on it either. Could the fungus be killing the moss?

Hide me.. I'm sure im wanted in 50 states for killing plants lol

Hangs her head in shame...i can't even grow moss

KFlanders

Default Re: im a killer.. of moss lol

Some types of moss won't do well in vivs. IME, Sheet moss and pillow moss need very bright light and good ventilation. T8's may not be bright enough unless you mount it very high in the viv. Your microfauna might be able to take care of fungus, if it doesn't get too dense.

3. This member thanks KFlanders for this post:

xboxQueen

So my t8 even with a 6500k might not be bright enough? I have a lot to learn I guess.. here I was thinking it mighta been too bright.

I might just toss the mosses with the fungus and try another piece.. could I have over watered?

But like I said, so far my plants are doing good.. (knocks on wood) :-)

How long has it been in the tank? Misting helps. It may die off a bit before it grows. Are you getting spore stalks coming out if it? Fresh ones i mean. If you do, then your moss is fine. It just needs more time to acclimate. Remember that moss is a relatively slow grower. Be patient and give it time and keep it moist.
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

6. This member thanks deranged chipmunk for this post:

DartEd

Bill knows all. I read in another thread that moss tends to brown sometimes before if begins to take off. Give it time and keep doing your thing.

8. This member thanks DartEd for this post:

Pac man

I agree with the others I've never had my moss die on me but that may happen to start to grow just give it some time and see what happens

10. This member thanks Pac man for this post:

xboxQueen

Well I just replied but I don't see the post, hmm? So here I go again I guess..

I ended up tossing the moss I put on the hard wood stick. It was encased like a cocoon! The stick has green mold growing on it, is that normal?

As for the rest of the moss, it seems fine, hasn't gotten any browner. I see a few spots where it might be fresh moss growing? So hopefully I'll be ok

Also what causes leaves to turn a blackish brown? Too much light? Not enough light or could it be because the humidity builds up on the leaves? The plant in question is my streptocarpella.

On a good not, my bromeliad is doing good.. along with my wandering Jew

Thread Information