Thread: New rack will be here tomorrow!

Nationality
    [United States]

Default New rack will be here tomorrow!

I have 14 horned frogs. 8 of them are in a rack system which holds 8 tubs. My new rack will be the same, 8 tubs, and those "pacman" frogs that aren't in tubs already will be moving in there.

Now, who wants to guess how long the remaining two "empty" tubs will stay empty?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: New rack will be here tomorrow!

Well if you haven't already ordered frogs to fill them I'm.sure it won't be long. I'm gonna have to look into a rack here pretty quick.

-----------------
    Thanks
    DW
    Thanks
    DW

Theeblueking

what rack did u get and from where?

ab positive bulldogs

yes too would like to know what rack and from where? also pics please

Nationality
    [United States]

It is a Reptiles Basics rack. This is the link to their website and this particular rack. Iris MCB-S Rack Wide Version - Reptile Basics Inc

I'll get pictures up later. It's set up, and I've moved a couple of frogs in there which are currently trying to jump out (put on coco-fiber, had been on foam, could be one reason).

Oh, there's no new frogs today nor any ordered right now. That's not to say I didn't try or think about it, but I think right now I think I'll stay with what I have for a while (although that could change at any time.)

TheHornedToad

Quote Originally Posted by emandkel View Post
    It is a Reptiles Basic rack. This is the link to their website and this particular rack. Iris MCB-S Rack Wide Version - Reptile Basics Inc

I'll get pictures up later. It's set up, and I've moved a couple of frogs in there which are currently trying to jump out (put on coco-fiber, had been on foam, could be one reason).

Oh, there's no new frogs today nor any ordered right now. That's not to say I didn't try or think about it, but I think right now I think I'll stay with what I have for a while (although that could change at any time.)
    I was looking for a rack to buy but they were all very expensive so i made my own, but the rack you have there isn't too expensive, I wish I would have seen it before...

Nationality
    [United States]

Is that just the rack and bins or is heating built into it?

Sent from my LG-P930 using Tapatalk 2
    2.0 Bombina orientalis
    1.0 Bufo americanus
    0.1.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    0.1 Xenopus laevis

All my arachnids and other inverts listed in my profile

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by MatthewM1 View Post
    Is that just the rack and bins or is heating built into it?

Sent from my LG-P930 using Tapatalk 2
    It has heat built in -- there is heat tape at the back. The only thing you need is a thermostat.

Blaze1

Nice rack after I pick up a couple more babies that I've been waiting for I think ill get one of these racks.

Nationality
    [United States]

Finally got everyone settled in and tubs cleaned, and changed all those I had on foam to coco-fiber. I had a couple of frogs that were starting to show signs of astivation (sp?) due to their skin was getting too dry even with misting a couple times a day.

Here's my rack setup for now -- forgive the mess on top of the racks, the top is handy for putting things on. The tubs do fog up at the front especially after a cleaning, I'm guessing because of the temperature change of the substrate versus the air. One tub I "drilled" a few holes in the front but it still fogs up.

Name:  pac-racks03-16-13.jpg
Views: 736
Size:  229.7 KB

The top 2 right compartments currently have 3 small Kritter Keepers housing baby/small pacman frogs. My intent is to try to find a smaller container that will fit in the tubs so I can give the little ones a bit more space but not stress them out with whole space of the tubs. Or I may try to come up with a divider.

There's two racks, side by side, 2 tubs wide by 4 tubs high. I have three milk crates underneath with a piece of plywood over them as a kind of a stand to get the racks off the floor a bit.

I have a Vivarium Electronics VE-300 proportional thermostat, which controls the temperature of the heat tape. I tried to hook up a basic outlet strip to the thermostat, then plugged both heat tape plugs into the outlet strip, but the new rack was getting about 10 degrees higher -- may need a special outlet strip? Right now the new one has a basic thermostat / heat controller (on/off type) and that fixed the issue but hope to use the other for both in the near future.

Nationality
    [United States]

Nice looking setup you have there .You shouldn't need a special outlet strip for the second rack if the wattage on the heat tape is the same .Try putting the thermostat probe on the tape of the second rack and see if that will adjust your temps .

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Cwcuz2112 View Post
    Nice looking setup you have there .You shouldn't need a special outlet strip for the second rack if the wattage on the heat tape is the same .Try putting the thermostat probe on the tape of the second rack and see if that will adjust your temps .
    That's what I was told to try by a rep from the company. So, this morning I did just that, and have monitored temps today in the tubs -- the old one is running about 2 - 3 degrees lower than the new one.

I just got finished with the pacman frog feeding routine and all 14 ate their nightcrawlers tonight, most with enthusiasm! I've had a few very picky eaters lately and usually all do not eat so this was a good feeding night.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by emandkel View Post
    It is a Reptiles Basics rack. This is the link to their website and this particular rack. Iris MCB-S Rack Wide Version - Reptile Basics Inc

After drooling and debating on a few pacs on a website, I finally caved in and new frogs came yesterday, plus got a little albino in a pet store a few days ago. Racks will be full +2 (pacs) if I keep them all (assuming all do ok as well). Two are really tiny and are in 16 oz. deli cups right now. But they are eating well, tong-fed worm pieces were grabbed and devoured. The little pet store albino, though, appears to hate worms so far, he spits them out if I get him to take one at all.

Thread Information