Thread: My red eyes vivarium

josie

Default My red eyes vivarium

I have 3 red eyes tree frogs in a Exo-Terra Terrarium (cube 24").

I recently decided to built a new vivarium for them

I got a Atasuki terrarium 48x20x24:

I needed to seal the bottom (this terratium is not built to hold water).. I put glass pannels to create a bottom tank and put black plexi.
    I used zavlar rubber liquid to sealed the inside wood...

first layer of clay balls

a net and a mix of sand and gravel on top:

water in.. I design a pound section..with a pomp for water circulation..I'm planning to do a rock waterfall at the end of the tube..

shapgnum and frog moss.. some pieces of woods.. plants..

In this corner I'll built a rock water falls:

In the pound section I put 4 little tetras fish

I'll install a fooger and water auto sprinkle system soon... to be continued..
    comments and suggestions are welcome!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

josie

Default Re: My red eyes vivarium

I installed the fogger machine and arrange the electrical cords...

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default My red eyes vivarium

It's coming along beautifully .
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

josie

Banned
    Nationality
    [United States]

I think your new set up is very good... only suggestion i have is to have larger leafed plants. But otherwise...VERY GOOD.

josie

Quote Originally Posted by CJ PELCHER View Post
    I think your new set up is very good... only suggestion i have is to have larger leafed plants. But otherwise...VERY GOOD.
    thanks!
    yes I'm lloking for big leaf plant.. if you have any suggestions...

josie

update!
    pics from today

josie

Update July 7th 2013

the new addition:

the pet store guy said it's a black eyes tree frog (yes the eyes are big and black)... anyone can confirm?

Banned
    Nationality
    [United States]

No that last picture is a ruby eyed tree frog from tanzania africa and its other common name is red eyed moon frog. I hope for the frogs health and well being that you arnt mixing that frog with your red eyed tree frog because those ruby eyes almost always test positve for chytrid fungus and is contageous to your red eyes which will die from that disease faster than your ruby will. In addition you have a male ruby eyed based of the vivid yellow spot pattern.

josie

the guy who sold me the frog was keeping it in the same vivarium with red eyes for many months now without problems... does ruby always have this fungus?? I will contact him for more info...

josie

The respond I got : <<I gave them a blue methaline bath when I received them and had them alone for a week. I then transferred them to my vivarium, I have had them in there for at least 3 months and have not had a problem with my other frogs. I have 4 red eye tree and 2 moon frogs left, I have not lost any frogs.>>

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    The respond I got : <<I gave them a blue methaline bath when I received them and had them alone for a week. I then transferred them to my vivarium, I have had them in there for at least 3 months and have not had a problem with my other frogs. I have 4 red eye tree and 2 moon frogs left, I have not lost any frogs.>>
    Hi Josie! Always recommend quarantine a new frog for at least 30 days before adding to your established and healthy vivarium. "Methylene Blue" is commonly used in fish breeding tanks to prevent infertile eggs from developing fungus, specially when rearing apart from parents. Did frog seller told you what concentration did he used (usually drops in certain water volume) and for how long? Thank you !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

I really like your set up. Good job.

Banned
    Nationality
    [United States]

Josie,

I will say this once. If hes mixing the species (which are not even from the same continent)...he has no care at all for the frogs well being...especially since he did not know ANY of the common names of these frogs. There are a couple. The treatment that he used to my knowledge does not treat this disease what so ever Lamasil is one of the treatments that is known to have effect on this type of fungus. In addition, yes months is fine but it doesn't take a a few months to transfer a disease like that. Chytrid fungus will kill your frog from a 6 month to a 2 year time period with NO symptoms. Here is a place where you can get your frogs tested for CHEAP. $20.00 / test. You will need to get DERMA SWABS. I would test for chytrid and ranavirus. Research Associates Laboratory, Inc. at vetdna.com
    They mail you the swabs you mail them back and you will have a result the same day they get them in. Wish you luck in this matter.

Also I recommend separating your frogs. Its just improper husbandry to house those 2 species together. Same continent is one thing but 2 different areas of the world ...its just a NO NO. Im sorry.

-Corey

Thread Information