Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toads?

pacman

Question Toads?

I will be setting up an exo terra 18 x 18 x 18. Just regular Michigan toads. so if anybody has a setup (any kind) of setup will you give me some pics?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

justin shockey

Default Re: Toads?

just look it up on youtube

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

For ground dwelling toads you are better off with a long aquarium type enclosure rather than a tall one (they will never use the height). Personally I'm cheap and cheerful - I use the ~50 liter transparent shoebox type thing that walmart sells, and if I want longer I buy the version that is twice as long.

mikeald

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    For ground dwelling toads you are better off with a long aquarium type enclosure rather than a tall one (they will never use the height). Personally I'm cheap and cheerful - I use the ~50 liter transparent shoebox type thing that walmart sells, and if I want longer I buy the version that is twice as long.
    Aesthetics is half the fun.

Kurt

I will second that. I have kept a lot of critters in Rubbermaid boxes. Currently in these boxes are my military scorpion, flat-rock scorpion, Asian forest scorpion, emperor newts, blotched tiger salamander, fire-bellied toads, fire skink, and most of my snakes.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Sweater boxes are my favorite. I've extolled their virtues on Caudata.org before as well. They create the perfect environment for solely terrestrial species. I love using them for salamanders, especially Ambystomatids. (Another topic entirely) They are perfect for toads as well. Unfortunately they do not make great presentations, but if you're just looking for functionality, they are perfect. Also, i've only ever been able to keep moss alive in sweater boxes.

Alex

Billy

I personally can't say that my male B. valiceps will never use the height of an aquarium. I have him and his female in a 10 gal. aquarium for the time being, and whenever I take off the lid, he jumps right out. I don't know if this is normal, but when he gets out, he will just sit on top of the nearest tank and watch everything that goes on in the room. The female shows no interest in jumping out, though.

justin shockey

?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????????????????????

Billy

Quote Originally Posted by justin shockey View Post
    ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????????????????????
    What I said was, he can easily jump to the top of the aquarium, and out of it. He then usually sits on top of the one right next to it. He is a good jumper.

justin shockey

no i mean i don't know if its normal

Billy

no i mean i don't know if its normal
    Oh, ok. As far as I can tell it's normal. But, seeing as both of them are wild caught, he just might want to get out and move around more than being in an aquarium. Awhile back, he discovered that the top of the tank was close enough to jump to and grab on to. As toads are pretty much very smart, he knows he can get out when I open the lid. I also let him roam around my bedroom(this area is toad safe) and he sometimes catches crickets that escape, spiders, and the occasional moth that is near him.
    Note that I don't do this with any of my other amphibians, and he is the exception. I have caught and kept many toads in my life, and found that they act more like a dog or person mentally(just my opinion, not trying to anthropormorhise).

justin shockey

i you,st to have spade foots they are so cool the biggest one i ever cout was 6incs

justin shockey

go to exotic pets .com and look up tree toads

Kurt

Be prewarned, tree toads, Pedostibes hosii are very expensive.

Billy

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
    Be prewarned, tree toads, Pedostibes hosii are very expensive.
    Yeah, I agree. Way to rich for my blood. Very nice toads, but a little on the odd side. When I was first told about them, I was still under the misconception that all toads looked like B. americanus(groud dwelling). I like them, but as I said, too rich for my blood.

justin shockey

for rite now yes but i still want one

Billy

for rite now yes but i still want one
    Yeah, me too.

Kurt

Save up your pennies. And study up on it, you don't want to spend that kind of money and not know how to properly take care of it.

justin shockey

no but i don't now any sites that have care sheets on them

Kurt

You're going to have to do what I do, and that is hit the BOOKS. Look for field guides for Indonesia, Malaysia, and Thailand. They should be able to tell you something about its habitat, life style, and typical food source. From there you can figure out (hopefully) the right husbandry for this animal. You're not likely to find any in your local library and you may have to buy them, most likely from an on-line source such as Amazon. Of course books like this have a tendency to be expensive.

You can also do a search using the taxonomic name, Pedostibes hosii. It might get you better results than the common name. Also read the scientific literature that you may find under that name.

Good luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information