Thread: Help... Not sure what's happening to my dwarf frog

Mzkhaye

Unhappy Help... Not sure what's happening to my dwarf frog

We bought my daughter a couple dwarf frogs and all is going great but we noticed 2 days ago the one was not really moving and he/she was stretched out and just letting the current in the tank throw him around - he would move a little sometimes if he went out of the current to go back in, but hardly any movement... We took the frog out and put him/her into a separate tank and it has not moved in a day at least, it now has a weird cloudy thick film surrounding his abdominal section of the body, it has stuck his nose out ( I'm guessing to breath, but can't really tell of he is breathing or not, just to little for me to tell) I don't know if he/she is dead or something else odd is happening, months ago our other frog did something very similar - we thought he was dead but after a week of separation all was fine and back in with his friends he went. So I honestly don't know if he is dead or not because of our past experience.... From what I have looked up when they are dead they will go to the bottom- but he won't move from the top and is u responsive...

If anyone can help me that would be AMAZING
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Help... Not sure what's happening to my dwarf frog

I am not an expert, but perhaps he is shedding. Sorry I can't really help you. Hopefully someone with more experience will see this. I just got 3 of these little guys 2 weeks ago.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Hi, I have no experience with these kinds of frogs, but a torpid state might be it trying to hibernate?

I've taken the liberty of moving this thread to the Aquatic frog section which will hopefully attract members with experience with these frogs. In the meantime, it might be helpful if you could answer the questions from the http://www.frogforum.net/pacman-frog...enclosure.html thread as this could be useful information when someone experienced comes around:

1. Size of enclosure
    2. # of inhabitants - specifically other frogs and size differences
    3. Humidity
    4. Temperature
    5. Water - type - for both misting and soaking dish
    6. Materials used for substrate
    7. Enclosure set up i.e. plants (live or artificial), wood, bark and other materials. - How were things prepared prior to being put into the viv.
    8. Main food source
    9. Vitamins and calcium? (how often)
    10. Lighting
    11. What is being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure
    12. When is the last time he/she ate
    13. Have you found poop lately
    14. A pic would be helpful including frog and enclosure (any including cell phone pic is fine)
    15. How old is the frog
    16. How long have you owned him/her
    17. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred
    18. Frog food- how often and if it is diverse, what other feeders are used as treats
    19. How often the frog is handled
    20. Is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area
    21. Describe enclosure maintenance (water changes, cleaning, etc)

Miss Blue

it looks like he is just in a betta tank, I didnt notice a filter? have you been doing any water changes and if so is the water dechlorinated? when they shed it should just come off no problem and most times I do not even notice it with my guys. Could be fungus as well....these guys need good filteration and water changes, good luck with your little ones! if you do suspect it is bacterial/fungal there are meds called "Melafix" and "Pimafix" you can use to treat but talk to the person at a pet store to discuss dosing.

Thread Information