Thread: Another brine shrimp thread

reptileszz

Default Another brine shrimp thread

Hi all, how does one go about feeding live brine shrimp? I have access to it at a local pet shop but have never purchased it. Do I bring it home and dump it all in? I dont even know what amounts they sell it in. Do I keep it elsewhere and put i a few at a time? Sorry this seems so basic but I have no clue. Also is it a good option for food? ATM feeding HBH frog pellets and xenopus.com sinking pellets.

Thank you,
    Carole

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Another brine shrimp thread

I don't see why this would be a problem. This would probably be better for juvenile frogs thank adults since brine shrimp are quite small but for enrichment (the actual hunting of prey would be stimulating) I see no problem with this.

I would just add a scoop of brine and see how the frogs react and give them a few hours and see what happens. Xenopus are big eaters and I imagine if you added a ton at once they would simple 'go nuts', they are very prone to overeating.

reptileszz

Quote Originally Posted by mpmistr View Post
    I don't see why this would be a problem. This would probably be better for juvenile frogs thank adults since brine shrimp are quite small but for enrichment (the actual hunting of prey would be stimulating) I see no problem with this.

I would just add a scoop of brine and see how the frogs react and give them a few hours and see what happens. Xenopus are big eaters and I imagine if you added a ton at once they would simple 'go nuts', they are very prone to overeating.
    My theory is that any extra would just get sucked into the filter?'

Thank you,
    Carole

Nationality
    [United States]

If they are small enough yes.. may want to cut power to the filter at feeding time.

reptileszz

Quote Originally Posted by mpmistr View Post
    If they are small enough yes.. may want to cut power to the filter at feeding time.
    hehe, noted.

purpleturtle89

dont have any aquatic frogs but i love feeding my fish sea monkeys so cool to watch and the way they dance in the light... its got to be good for them right actually chasing prey but also stimulating to watch as the owner, which is what its all about. Sadly my fish are to big to take them now

purpleturtle89

also just to note i only fed them shrimp at the weekend not as there main diet hope that helps also yes you should turn the filter off for a short while

Nationality
    [United States]

I would not invest too much in brine shrimp personally, ACF grow fast and large and brine will quickly become inconsequential to a full grown clawed frog.

I keep ghost shrimp (american glass shrimp) with my clawed frogs and they would occasionally eat them when they were younger but nowadays they couldn't care less about them. I actually keep roughly 10-12 shrimp in my ACF tank and they diligently clean the tank looking for scraps and the frogs appear to not bother them, and these shrimp are roughly 1 inch long.

Thread Information