Thread: T8 bulbs.. help getting one tomorrow and want to get the right one :)

xboxQueen

Default T8 bulbs.. help getting one tomorrow and want to get the right one :)

So I was told if my hood light had a spot for 2 bulbs I'd need a 5000k for flowers and 6500k for greenery. My hood has only one bulb spot, so what kelvin should I go with? A couple plants I ordered will flower, so I'm confused as to what to buy. Also I know it needs to be a fluorescent bulb but does it have to be full spectrum or will an everyday fluorescent bulb work as long as the kelvins are right?

I priced the bulbs at the pet store and they seem too high priced especially since I don't need any UVB. Well according to what I read the frogs/plants don't need it. Please correct me if I'm wrong? If I have to pay 25-30 dollars I will, but if I can avoid paying that much, it would be nice.

There's a store called Bulbs Only, I called and asked if they had a T8 24" full spectrum in 6500k, they said I don't need 6500k for plants, they quoted me a price for a full spectrum T8 24" 5000k for under 7 dollars. So they didn't tell me if they have other kelvins in the size I need but when I go there I'll just look for myself.

But anyway.. a little guidance from you pros would be immensely appreciated

Ty

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: T8 bulbs.. help getting one tomorrow and want to get the right one :)

6500K should be fine for a single bulb. Definitely don't pay for that pet store UV bulb, it is way too expensive and won't be useful to you at all. I don't use 5000K bulbs, but if you look around most grow lights you see (or other things of that nature) are 6500K, so I would just go with that. If Bulbs Only doesn't work out, just hit up your local hardware store. Even my local True Value carries 6500K tubes. I got my bulbs from Home Depot though, I think they were like $5 each.

Best of Luck!
    Alex

4. This member thanks tylototriton for this post:

xboxQueen

Default Re: T8 bulbs.. help getting one tomorrow and want to get the right one :)

Hi Alex, Ty for your fast reply! So glad I can avoid those over priced pet store bulbs! Just one last thing, does it have to be a full spectrum bulb or any fluorescent 6500k bulb?

Ps I see you're from new haven, I've been to the flea market there..I love it

Full spectrum is kind of misleading. All full spectrum means is that it "supposedly" emits all the colors of the spectrum. Problem is, the only thing that can do that is the sun. In a 5000k "full spectrum" bulb, red would be more dominant than blue, which is higher in the spectrum. It will have faint traces of blue, so they can get away with the name "full spectrum". You can indeed grow plants with a 5000k bulb, but to get the most out of your plants, 6500k is optimum. I have grown plants under lighting from 3000k-10000k, and i found that 5000k-8000k is optimum for vivs that will have semi aquatics growing in them. 5000-6700k for straight terrestrials is best.
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

7. This member thanks deranged chipmunk for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I got my T8 6500k Daylight bulb (made by GE) from Lowes. I have the 18" and it was about $7.

9. This member thanks helm96 for this post:

xboxQueen

Hi Bill, that info was what I needed to know, Tyvm! Now as soon as I officially wake up by throwing a couple cups of coffee down my throat, ill get myself in gear and go get my bulb. I need to get it today, my stuff from josh's will be here tomorrow

And Will Ty for the heads up at Lowes, unfortunately I called them yesterday and they don't have my size (24") I went into home depot the other day also and looked but no 24" 6500k t8's. They had them in other sizes tho, go figure lol

I also stuck that silver aluminum tape all over inside my hood because it didn't have a reflector. It was just white plastic inside.

No problem. And btw, white plastic is a better reflector than that tape. Especially if the tape and even the slightest wrinkle in it.
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

xboxQueen

Well.............. Yeah it does have um a few wrinkles in the tape.. but its too late now lol

Thread Information