Thread: First Paludarium Build, Almost Finished

KrTreefrog2

Default First Paludarium Build, Almost Finished

I recently posted a thread (http://www.frogforum.net/vivarium-te...ggestions.html) about a 40 gal. breeder tank I intended to convert into a partial land/water tank for three Giant African Bullfrogs. After a lot of work, I can say that it's almost complete and just needs a few finishing touches. Here's what I have so far.

The divider is a piece of 18"x4" glass I had cut at Lowes, and I sanded the top edge down so it wouldn't be sharp. I also used a glass cutting tool to cut off the bottom two corners so it would sit flush against the silicone along the bottom. I then siliconed all the seams on the aquatic side, and all around the divider. After letting it cure for 48 hours, I used a razor blade to trim it to make it look nice. I also blacked out the left and right sides of the tank using black contact paper and installed a heat mat on the right side. I have yet to install a 36"x16" fake rock foam background; I need to cut a groove in it to fit over the divider.

Earlier in the week, I had collected some water-smoothed stones to put into the aquatic side. They were scrubbed, bleach-soaked, and finally run in the dishwasher without any detergent to sanitize them. My finger is still healing from a blister I got while scrubbing rocks. ^^ I stacked the rocks in a slope from the tallest point at the divider down to the bottom of the tank to give them plenty of room and easy access in and out. I then filled the other side with Eco-Earth coco fiber and put in their Habba log. (Note the frog checking out his new digs on the right.)

I bought a three stage canister filter to keep the water clean, because these guys are MESSY! It's not running yet, but the pipes are in roughly the right area. I'm still toying with the placement. The outflow pipe won't keep a prime because it's designed to be used in a tank full of water. It's segmented, and air is getting in through the joints. I need to decide on a final location and then silicone the joints so no air can get inside. One problem I'm having is with the inflow pipe; it's designed to be placed around the top of the tank and has a long spray bar attached. The thing is, I don't want the noise of the water spraying out into the open. I'd prefer to have the spray bar lying along the bottom of the tank and circulating the water. I'm thinking about trying to find plastic tubing to extend the pipe down to the spray bar at the bottom of the tank. Any suggestions on a better way to do this would be appreciated. Also, any suggestions on aquatic plants?

And finally, here are my three frogs in their new home. I checked the temperatures this morning and found it was a bit cool, so I put a heat lamp on top of their cage in addition to the under tank heater on the side. Within a few moments all three of them were out basking under the light. I'm happy to say that they're all eating well and growing quickly!

I'm interested to hear any feedback and suggestions on improvements, additions, etc. I could especially use some ideas about how to set up the spray bar. Thanks, and enjoy!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: First Paludarium Build, Almost Finished

You can make custom intake and output pipes from pvc pipe. You can always use krylon fusion black spray paint on them to hide them. It is just a matter of being creative.

As far as aquatic plants. The only thing that will grow in there is floaters. Duckweed, frogbit, pennywort and the like.
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri