Thread: Grey Tree Frog rubs his own belly.

Tubby0512

Question Grey Tree Frog rubs his own belly.

My Grey Tree Frog will sit on top of his tank and rub his own belly and it get really wet and he wipes himself down with the wet liquid he made from rubbing his belly. Well to me it looks like he uses if hands and rubs his belly and liquid is there. What is it?!?! I try googling it on what it is so any awnser here?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Banned
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Grey Tree Frog rubs his own belly.

Hes MOST likely shedding and it needs to be in a moist environment to shed. Frogs shed once a day to my knowledge. My red eyes do the exact same thing every day. Eventually they live the skin trail over the sides of my tank. This morning I had 2 skin trails just from last night.

Tubby0512

Oh i see i see. I open his tank and he come climbing out of tank and climbs on top where I spray in with water and he starts rubbing his belly than rubs his head with his hind legs. Its pretty funny to watch. Than I move him to a dry surface and he rubs his belly again and he makes his own funny liquid and rubs it on himself than climbs back in his tank.

Tubby0512

I also forgot to mention once he is done rubbing himself he licks his fingers. what does that mean?

Banned
    Nationality
    [United States]

That is part of the shedding process as well... Make sure when you mist your foggy you don't use tap water... use distilled water OR get a water treatment to put in your mister.. Its not that expensive and your gray tree frog will reward you with more shedding =) Now that you found his favorite shedding time. Make sure you mist him every day at that time so he does have a nice shedding session. =)

Banned
    Nationality
    [United States]

Im not sure ...you would have to ask an expert. He may be eating his skin rather than leaving it on the sides of the tank like mine do. But mine also put their fingers in their mouth throughout the duration of the shedding session which can last between 10-30 min.

Tubby0512

I spray him every morning with water I leave out over night. Going tp the pet store soon to pck up some calcium powder. I read many post and they said to be sure your frog gets it and I never gave him any since I had him. He still acts the same since I had but I don't want to kill him so i'm picking some up. Also my tree frog will tuck his hands under his throat and hold his hands together is that normal?

Banned
    Nationality
    [United States]

That's his perching position when hes sitting.. They do that for better suction / camouflage of the environment. Is it tap water though you get from your faucet? leaving it out overnight does not change the fact that tap water has chlorine in it. Which will kill your froggy over time. Yes highly recommend calcium powder if your sticking to the cricket diet. if you get Grasshoppers /flies and local insects like you were talking about earlier... those insects will have more calcium in their system from eating leafy greens which crickets do not.

Tubby0512

Yes its still tap water. I feed him grasshoppers and flies in summer, spring, and fall. But in winter its hard to get flies and grasshoppers, so he only gets a cricket diet during winter.

Wiping themselves with their hind feet happens when shedding or cleaning off dirt and debris, so is some rubbing with the forelimbs. Shedding is usually pretty obvious- they will inflate with air to stretch out and loosen the skin then repeatedly 'yawn' as they swallow the shed. I've never noticed any secretions coming from their skin.

Does your frog have a water dish he can soak in if he feels the need?

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby0512 View Post
    Also my tree frog will tuck his hands under his throat and hold his hands together is that normal?
    Yes, that's a normal water conserving posture. They'll sit with as much stuff tucked in as possible to minimize the surface area exposed to the air to minimize water loss. This also helps them blend in with whatever they're sitting on.

Banned
    Nationality
    [United States]

Yes when you go buy you calcium powder...also get water treatment.. Its like 6 bucks a bottle and will eliminate the ammonia/ chlorine in the tap water which is toxic for all frogs.

I use ZOO MED "REPTISAFE" instant terrarium water conditioner. It instantly removes chlorine/ammonia and helps prevent its accumulation. Adds essential electrolytes including calcium. Stimulates slime coat development providing a natural protective barrier for all types of amphibians. Also reduces the PH.

ALL AND ALL REALLY REALLY GOOD FOR YOUR FROGGY =)

Tubby0512

Alrighty will do and yes my frog does have a pool of water he sits in. he always slashes around.

Banned
    Nationality
    [United States]

Heres the stuff i use for water treatment:Name:  DSC_0015.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  46.1 KB

Tubby0512

sweet thanks i'll see if my pet store has that so something like that

Thread Information