Thread: My pacman will only eat wax worms

AlexFish94

Default My pacman will only eat wax worms

Hi there my Pacman will only eat wax worms. I hear this is bad as they are fatty and not a good staple. He refuses crickets night crawlers everything i have tried! What should i do>? What about calci worms?

Alex

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: My pacman will only eat wax worms

i thought that something i just replied it about wax worms and how to.... couldn't find was it you asking earlier or someone else.

anyhow while trying to remember i checked your other thread, you asked a question about light, that nobody replied - that particular one is too bright, they don;t like bright light in general, did you end up fixing other stuff?

wax worms - yes very fattening, not suitable to feed as a staple, you're right. how are you feeding him, what time a day, do you use tongs?

if husbandry is good then it is just a matter of habit breaking, he will get there, he is young and probably stubborn
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

AlexFish94

I have him on a 12hr on 12hr off light cycle, it is quite bright light too really bright. yeah i use tongs and just sit them in front of him as soon as he sees it GONE. I don't have a set time of day when i feed him but at the moment he eats 4-6 a day. I am going to get some calci worms. Would these be a better staple ?

Thanks Alex

Nationality
    [United States]

I have come accross this with some of the frogs, but it was only eating worms and not much of anything else, I mixed the worm with some pac man food, like a "worm in a blanket" worm with a blanket of flattened pacman food. that was how i was able to ween into other foods, but I almost strictly tong feed. Just a suggestion

Nationality
    [United States]

What are calci worms? They're probably something I've heard of called a different name...

Will he hunt crickets if they walk past him? Sometimes that works. You can tear off the crickets' back legs so they can't hop, and make them crawl past him. If you do that though, make sure there's no moss around (looks like there's some moss in your profile pic).
    Can you get dubia roaches? Usually you have to order them online, but they're healthy and some frogs really like them.

Also, have you tried rubbing the nightcrawlers and all against the frog's lips? Sometimes if you can annoy them into biting it once they'll realize it's food and take it normally the next time.

Nationality
    [Canada]

DV he is talking about phoenix worms, they are sometimes called calci worms due to very high Ca content,. they are ok as a treat, they have soft shell and lots of protein and some fat still too much to be called a staple. I've personally never tried them, they are not available where i live.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

AlexFish94

Thanks for the help! Still nothing i might leave 1-2 crickets in his tank over night see what happens. He has little decoration just plant and a water bowel. ( I removed his hide because 1 he never used it 2 crickets just hid in) Just tried calci worms nothing i don't like leaving wormy like things because the borrow into the substrate and i am scared they will hide then turn into some next moth or something. I always tong feed him as if i leave the wax worms they just crawl and hide underneath him. Which i don't like! All he want is wax worms! should i maybe just leave it 2 days or so with no food so he is hungry and will be more inclined to eat something else, or is not recommended?

Thanks Alex

Nationality
    [United States]
    High Point, North Carolina, United States

So did u wean him off waxworms? I'm having a similar problem with my new Fire Belly Toad.

Member needs to set country!

I was told to feed my frogs and toads waxworms as a treat only and to use crickets, mealworms, etc as staple foods.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Don't feed your Horned Frog mealworms. They have little food value and are hard to digest. Stick with earthworms, night crawlers and crickets. Gut load your crickets as they don't have a lot of food value also.

Thread Information