Thread: Terrarium concerns

Hayden E

Default Terrarium concerns

Hello there! I am new here and also a brand new owner of 2 fire belly toads! I wanted to ensure that I created a natural enclosure, with lots of plants, moss, land and water. I am really concerned that my setup is much too cluttered or lacking in either land or water space. I need help! Is my enclosure ok? If not, what should I change? Thank you in advance!

I apologize for the quality of the the photos! Hopefully you can sort of see what I have going on here. I am thinking of removing that red plant, then using that submerged piece of deadwood as a ramp towards the water and cover it with some moss. Thanks again!

Name:  20130304_160652.jpg
Views: 930
Size:  117.6 KBName:  20130304_160717.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  112.1 KBName:  20130304_162031.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  120.8 KBName:  20130304_162241.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  139.4 KBName:  20130304_162245.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  150.5 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Terrarium concerns

looks fine to me, the rule of thumb with FBTs is 50% land and 50% water if you ever wondered
    "A Righteous man cares for his animals" - Proverbs 12:10
    1.0.0 Correlophus cilliatus
    2.1.0 Bombina orientalis
    0.1.0 Ambystoma mexicanum
    0.0.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    1.0.0 Litoria caerulea
    1.1.0 Dendrobates auratus "Nicaraguan"
    0.0.2 Dendrobates tinctorius "Azureus"

Hayden E

Thanks Bob! Yes, I am aware of the ratios but my FBT don't seem to venture out from the deadwood/shallow water area, so the only land they are utilizing is the one piece of deadwood. Will they venture out once they become more comfortable and make use of the mossed waterfall? Is it too high? Do I need to make a ramp up the waterfall? Its freaking me out that they only stay in that corner, makes me wonder if the rest of the tank is not suitable.

Nationality
    [Canada]

if you think that theres too much water, you can lower the water level so they can stand in the water, i keep mine at 3 inches of water and have some pieces of cork bark floating around, i would make the water fall a little lower but otherwise its really good! lots of hiding places and sight barriers!
    "A Righteous man cares for his animals" - Proverbs 12:10
    1.0.0 Correlophus cilliatus
    2.1.0 Bombina orientalis
    0.1.0 Ambystoma mexicanum
    0.0.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    1.0.0 Litoria caerulea
    1.1.0 Dendrobates auratus "Nicaraguan"
    0.0.2 Dendrobates tinctorius "Azureus"

100+ Post Member Gnag the nameless's Avatar
    Nationality
    [Canada]

Do you have a filter for that water? Even for 2 FBT's, I think a good filter is mandatory. My Juvenile American bullfrog, Gnag (pronounced Guh-nagg), who lives in a 75% water setup, has a powerful filter in relatively deep water. Even so, I do 25% water changes every 2-3 days, scoop out dead food/bio-waste and do a 75% water change on a weekly basis. It helps to keep ammonia and nitrate levels down, but a bigger filter would be a great help. But don't think that you'll have to do water changes as constantly as I do. My frog is over 4 times the size of either of yours, and eats a lot. Seriously, she can take down 7 crickets in less than 2 minutes, and still be happy for more.

As for how deep the water should be, I honestly think that deep water is good for FBT's. It's easier to filter, easier to clean, and gives the frogs a nice, deep swimming area. Gnag has enough water to swim freely and hide underwater, but also she can kind of float, using her hind legs to balance her on the smooth stones below. I really don't agree with water up to their neck, it's better if they can swim freely than walk freely.

As for your frogs being shy, a wallpaper/background for the tank would help a lot. I know from experience with my own frogs that it will calm them down, and make them feel more secure. And honestly, I'd take those bright colored plants down. As pretty as it may look, I think your frogs would prefer a green/brown land area and cover spots. Also, getting one of those nice clay caves can work magic. Frogs love hiding in those. Bumpy will always retreat to her cave during day, and come out at night to hunt. If you don't want to get a clay cave, you could wet down some moss and form a kind of cave with it, though I doubt it'd be too sturdy. Don't forget to mist the moss, to keep it fairly wet, or the frogs won't go near it.

As for your frogs not moving around, one thing that really got my frogs out and about were these fake, plastic lily pads. I got them at my local Mr. Pets. They float great, provide good places to put crickets on, and also great hiding spots for the frogs. And since your frogs are not even half the size of Bumpy, let alone Gnag, they'll easily be able to sit on the lily pads.

A ramp up to the waterfall would help, but they'd need a nice, cool hiding spot up there or some kind of reason to be up there. Otherwise, I doubt they'll even go up there once. Gnag and Bumpy both have driftwood in their tank, but they never sit on it. Bumpy, well, because she's a very skittish and jumpy frog, and Gnag because the top of the driftwood is pretty high up and has no cover spots.

If you find your frogs hiding a lot during the day, that's normal. My frogs hide all day, except when I've been gone for hours or the UVB lamp is off. However, during nighttime, they're very active, swimming around and pouncing on crickets. Oh, and I really suggest feeding your frogs during the evening or night if feeding at day doesn't work.
    My Amphibians:
    1.0.0 Rana Catesbiana (Bumpy Digtoad )
    1.0.0 Pseudacris Regilla (Levi )
    1.1.0 Ambystoma Macrodactylum (Urtham and Gargan )
    2.2.0 Bombina Orientalis ( Rosa, Sasha, Aleksis, and Dimitri )

Rest in Peace, Gnag the Nameless, Chrome, and Thermidor

Nationality
    [United States]

Hello Hayden,
    Welcome to Frog Forum !
    I do not, nor have I have had FBT. I think they are just beautiful.
    I love the different shades some people seem to find.

You got great replies to your question.

I do have one concern, which is the size of the pebbles!
    It's difficult to see. To size things up; if a pebble can fit between the frog's eyes--- the frog will swallow it ...eventually !
    The eat very vigorously! One sinking, wiggling cricket, a big gulp, and down the hatch the pebble goes!
    If you do a FF search -- you will find a good thread on this with a photo of a frog's x-rays. -Not pretty
    May I suggest replacing the pebbles with big /smooth river rock or very large clear smooth glass.
    Both of these items an be purchase very inexpensively at a craft store in the floral section.
    Boil them before you put them into the enclosure-- and your good to go.

Lynn
    Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”
    Phyllobates terribilis "Orange"
    Phyllobates bicolor "Uraba"

Oophaga pumilio "Black Jeans"
    Oophaga pumilio "Isla Popa"
    Oophaga pumilio "Bastimentos"
    Oophaga pumilio “Mimbitimbi”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Colubre"
    Oophaga pumilio "Red Frog Beach”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Branco"
    Oophaga pumilio “Valle del Rey”
    Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"
    Oophaga pumilio "El Dorado"
    Oophaga pumilio "Cristobal"
    Oophaga pumilio "Rambala"

Oophaga “Vicentei” (blue)

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga sylvatica "Pata Blanca"
    Oophaga histrionica “Redhead”
    Oophaga histrionica "Blue"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"
    Oophaga histrionica "Tado"

Ranitomeya variabilis "Southern"
    Ranitomeya imitator "Varadero"
    Ranitomeya sirensis "Lower Ucayali"
    Ranitomeya vanzolinii

http://www.fernsfrogs.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ferns.frogs

Hayden E

Hello everyone! Thank you so much for your replies. I feel much better after hearing back from some experienced frog owners! I think i should lower the waterfall too, I was not expecting to purchase one of this size but it was the only one I could find that included a filter. I was expecting my FBT to use this as their land area and when they weren't that really concerned me. I want to make sure my toads are happy, lol.

The right side of my tank which contains the drift wood has water levels from 1.3" to 3", this is where they hang out most of the day. They sure like the water over there and just sit in the little nook between the dead wood. The waterfall side is about 4" deep, I am wondering if the flowing water deters them from swimming in this area? I woke up this morning to Fred on top of the water fall hanging out, (HURRAY HURRAAWW) and frank swimming over by the waterfall! The waterfall was off though, maybe they like the calm water better. They seem bright green that means they are happy right?

@Caspian
    I will def look into getting a background. I did purchase a filter, it is included in the waterfall pump. I am wondering if I set it up properly as the instructions were missing from the box. It is a "Turtle Cliff", are you familiar with it? It looked like there was just some mesh at the suction point of the pump, I am wondering if i needed to buy a carbon container to add to the pump or something? I am going to have to google it because without the instructions, I have no clue on when or how to clean the thing! I am going to be doing a 25%-50% water change ever 3-4 days just to make sure that my toads enclosure is clean and they remain healthy.

Thank you Lynn! I have done a lot of reading since purchasing my toads and did hear this, but if there is a good level of water over the pebbles will it be ok? The majority of the pebbles are covered with the big piece of drift wood in the area of concern, if you still think this can cause issues I will cover it up this week. I also heard that moss can cause impaction? I am wondering if i should remove the moss from my deadwood to prevent accidental ingestion while I feed them? I feel I need to remake this whole tank. What should I do with Fred and Fat Frank if I do decide to go ahead and re do the whole tank?

Thanks again for your input folks, I really appreciate it!

Nationality
    [Canada]

Lynn is so right. If that frog swallows some gravel, he's in for trouble. I use smooth stones for both of my tanks, and they work great with Gnag and Bumpy.

I've heard of and seen "Turtle Cliff"s, however, I am inexperienced with them so I don't know how effective they are in cleaning up frog bio-waste.

Doing more frequent water changes when you first get the tank is a good idea, as the beneficial bacteria has not developed yet. Eventually, you can lessen the amount and frequency you change the water. However, do not let your guard down to ammonia. At least occasional water changes are a must, no matter the tank size, and occupants.

I'm not really sure how to clean your filter, either. If it were any other kind of filter, I could help you right away. As for the mesh, can you describe it a bit more?

Moss will almost always cause prolapse if ingested. I strongly suggest taking it out of the tank.

It's your choice whether to remake the tank. If you do, I suggest putting the frogs aside in a small spare tank with a good level of water, or a critter-keeper. Give their temporary home a hiding spot, or else they'll freak out. Nothing fancy, they'll only be in there for, at the most, a couple of hours.

Fred and Fat Frank love the names. I tend to go for quirky, peculiar, or strange names, as you can probably tell by Gnag the Nameless and Bumpy Digtoad.
    My Amphibians:

Hayden E

Hi Caspian,

I did some research on the turtle cliff and it is quite a hefty filter, 280 L per day. I thought FBT liked the moss! Such a shame if I must take it out. I have done a water change already, quite the ordeal! Ended up with a mouth full of FBT water as I tried to get my gravel vac working LOL. Amateur Hour it is. I will grab a new tank when I change this one out, for now I have removed the red plant and propped the other piece of dead wood up as a slope into the deeper end, they seem to really like this new spot! If the gravel is fairly deep in the water is it really that much of a concern? And the moss, how concerning is it? Thanks in advance! Fat Frank and Fred are doing well, I think Frank is about to shed or something. Update you soon!

Nationality
    [Canada]

Wow. I might get myself one of those for Bumpy's tank, her current filter has a strong current but weak intake. It's inconvenient, because I have to do water changes more often.

Oh, try bullfrog water. They eat a lot, and produce tons of bio-waste.

Some updated pictures of the tank could be handy.

My frogs tend to stay in one spot the whole day, but at night it's an entirely different story. I'm not sure about FBT's, I've heard they're a bit less skittish. Well, Bumpy is the skittish frog of the pair. Gnag just usually don't care if I'm there, she only cares about that juicy cricket she's eyeing on the lily pad

Well, my tactic for water changing is to get a bucket, place it beside or on top of the tank, reach in and scoop small portions of water out with a cup. Turn the filter off before-hand. Also, splashing water down a bit by emptying the regular portion during the water change, then pouring the fresh dechlorinated water from the jug/bucket/etc onto the gravel can help get gunk and other unwanted matter out from the gravel, so it is sucked up by the filter. I use this strategy a lot to help clean the smooth stones. Only when the frogs are hiding, though, I try not to disturb them when they are out and about.

I don't think the deep-down gravel is a concern. If your FBT's are anything of the swimmer that my frogs are, they'll be fine.

The moss is only a danger if they feed on it. If they ingest it, it can cause prolapse, a very scary thing I have yet to encounter. If you're placing it somewhere far away from the feeding area and not a place where crickets could get to and the frogs go to, you could add it as decoration. I do so for part of my tank, but I always steer crickets away from that zone during feeding.
    My Amphibians:

Thread Information