Thread: Help setting up whites terrarium

bunches75

Default Help setting up whites terrarium

Hi everyone,

I am upgrading my terrarium to a larger size and I plan on doing a false bottom with a pump. I have also been considering converting to a vivarium or adding waterfall? I have read that with whites, this may not be the best option to help keep moisture levels up since Whites tend to dirty their water quickly. Does anyone have any opinions or suggestions?? I have also read that the monsoon is a great option to add moisture to the system. Please help!!

Thanks
    Amy

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Help setting up whites terrarium

Ok so you are correct Whites are messy. Mine are filthy little pigs sometimes. I put a waterfall in my terrarium, I used the Amazon.com: Tetra Decorative Reptile Filter for Aquariums up to 55 Gallons: Pet Supplies . I went with this so it would filter the water since my girls are so dirty. I change the filters every 2-3 weeks and the water about every 4-6 weeks. Depends on their level of dirtyness that month.

I am not sure about all Whites but my whites DO NOT like to be in the line of spray at all. They tend to spaz out and show me their back side while they pout about what just happened.

I have the waterfall and I have covered 1/4 of the top with glass and I use a ReptiFogger set on a timer for 3 minutes every hour. This manages to keep my humidity at about 65-70% on a regular basis.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

deeishealthy

Default Re: Help setting up whites terrarium

Ernie n Bert are ridiculously dirty frogs! Their water is in constant need of changing, as well as the sides of my viv from all the froggie foottie prints and substrate trails from them cruising the glass. No way I'd do any sort of water feature that was not completely removeable for easy changing/cleaning. I contemplated a water fall until I'd had them for a while and see what they do in their pool. Forget it.

For heating my tank I have a red lamp on top along with the daytime lights. I tried just using the daytime lights but it's too cold here (I'm near Vancouver, BC... not quite igloo country, but still chilly). I run the red lamp from 5am till 10pm and it works very well for me. Mind you I had to up the misting because it burns off the humidity like crazy.

For balancing that out I went with the Exo Terra Monsoon and run it only with distilled water so it doesn't build up minerals in the tubing and won't leave mineral residue on the glass. So far, and it's been about six weeks, the thing is a DREAM.

Thread Information