Thread: Frog Medications - Quick question

100+ Post Member Gnag the nameless's Avatar
    Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Question Frog Medications - Quick question

As of late, I've been learning more about parasites in frogs. And they've been getting to be a big concern of mine, especially so since both of my frogs are WC and have not been treated for worms yet. I know that many people treat their frogs for worms on sometimes even a 2 week basis, so I feel I am overdue.

I do know that Panacur-C is a safe for frogs, but my question is, where would I get it, how much would it cost, and how would I know if it was the safe kind?

Also, where would I find Flagyl, or Bactine? And how much would either cost?

I'd rather deal with this now so it doesn't become an issue if one of my frogs get sick.

Thank you in advance.

Note: My apologies for adding so many threads on the Frogs section of the forum. I am relatively new to frogs, so I am trying to cover every factor in order to give my frogs happy and healthy lives.
    My Amphibians:
    1.0.0 Rana Catesbiana (Bumpy Digtoad )
    1.0.0 Pseudacris Regilla (Levi )
    1.1.0 Ambystoma Macrodactylum (Urtham and Gargan )
    2.2.0 Bombina Orientalis ( Rosa, Sasha, Aleksis, and Dimitri )

Rest in Peace, Gnag the Nameless, Chrome, and Thermidor

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Frog Medications - Quick question

Quote Originally Posted by Gnag the nameless View Post
    As of late, I've been learning more about parasites in frogs. And they've been getting to be a big concern of mine, especially so since both of my frogs are WC and have not been treated for worms yet. I know that many people treat their frogs for worms on sometimes even a 2 week basis, so I feel I am overdue.

I do know that Panacur-C is a safe for frogs, but my question is, where would I get it, how much would it cost, and how would I know if it was the safe kind?

Also, where would I find Flagyl, or Bactine? And how much would either cost?

I'd rather deal with this now so it doesn't become an issue if one of my frogs get sick.

Thank you in advance.

Note: My apologies for adding so many threads on the Frogs section of the forum. I am relatively new to frogs, so I am trying to cover every factor in order to give my frogs happy and healthy lives.
    Panacur works very well and is safe. It is given one day a week for 4 weeks to complete the treatment. This is so any new ova (eggs of the parasites) are also taken care of throughout the hatching period.

Panacur and Flagyl are prescription medications prescribed by a vet. Bactine can be purchased over the counter but be careful not to buy the type with lidocaine in it, lidocaine can kill frogs.

It is always good to be prepared.

You can post as much as you like . Ask away. It's how you learn.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Nationality
    [Canada]

Default Re: Frog Medications - Quick question

Caspian, I don't know any of frog vets in Vancouver, I've heard something about Park Gate hospital in north vancouver. I suggest you just find someone who would sell your meds, in Vancouver it shouldn't be that hard there is a small exotic store in north vancouver as well, you can contact them ask them for advice on which vet to go, usually breeders know all vets in their area.

all those meds are available through vets only and I highly doubt you will be able to get it just because you want to without coming in, it is a possibly a bit different system here in Canada, but you can try, just call them and ask if they could sell stuff as a preventative measure. bactrin i haven't seen over the counter, but ORIGINAL polysporin we have in all drug stores for sure.

P.S. why would you treat every 2 weeks? do you mean constantly every 2 weeks people treat their frogs?
    you need to complete treatment and actually before getting meds i would suggest to do a fecal exams on both, chances are you don't need any treatment
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [Canada]

Sorry for the long wait on a reply, guys, I left my computer on before going to sleep.

I talked to my friend at school, who's family owns a ferret/cat/dog shelter, and apparently you can get panacur-C, although she has forgot where. She's going to ask her mum about it and tell me if her mum knows where to get it or not.

I'll take a close examination of the bactine bottle/tube/whatever-it-comes-in when I buy it, and post a photo just to be sure. I'm curious: Could Dr. Frye mail me all of these?

Park Gate hospital... that name is hauntingly familiar. I used to live in North Vancouver, so that may be why. I'll search more about it.

Lija, here's where I read it from:
    Frog Forum - Basic Frog First Aid

[QUOTE/] Panacur (Febendazole) is a great medicine to have on hand. Purchase it as Panacur-C in the 4 gram packets. It is safe to use and some people recommend treating your collection routinely with it once every 1-2 weeks to keep worms under control. Personally I treat my frogs for 3 days on the first of every month. It is very easy to use; you just dust the food with it. [QUOTE/]

I am certain that my frogs have parasites. They are WC, come from a marsh, and have not been treated. That's the recipe to get parasites in frogs.
    My Amphibians:

Nationality
    [Canada]

just because they are WC doesn't mean they are infected although possibility is very high, i have 2 WC waxies, none were infected with anything when i got them just saying
    think logically, if your frogs don't have worms or have been treated and you have cleaned and disinfected tank and everything in there, how would they get infected again for you to treat them repeatedly? if the tank hasn't been disinfected that is the whole different story.
    i guess what I'm saying here is i don't see the need to give medication just because. Crickets might be a carrier of pinworms, but if your frogs are infected you will see those nasty creatures in their poop.

Dr. Frye won't be able to mail these to you legally for what i know, but he might just put them in the envelope without stating what that is, you can ask him and then can share it with us
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [United States]

Just food for thought.
    It would be worthwhile to have a conversation w/ a vet regarding the repeated use of panacur ( or therefore "routine" use of any medication)

Also, panacur is available in 2mg and 4 mg packets? So, careful w/ dosing.

Like Lija, mentions.......you MOST definitely need to worry about parasites from the crickets.
    We need to think of a way to treat the crickets

Lynn
    Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”
    Phyllobates terribilis "Orange"
    Phyllobates bicolor "Uraba"

Oophaga pumilio "Black Jeans"
    Oophaga pumilio "Isla Popa"
    Oophaga pumilio "Bastimentos"
    Oophaga pumilio “Mimbitimbi”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Colubre"
    Oophaga pumilio "Red Frog Beach”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Branco"
    Oophaga pumilio “Valle del Rey”
    Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"
    Oophaga pumilio "El Dorado"
    Oophaga pumilio "Cristobal"
    Oophaga pumilio "Rambala"

Oophaga “Vicentei” (blue)

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga sylvatica "Pata Blanca"
    Oophaga histrionica “Redhead”
    Oophaga histrionica "Blue"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"
    Oophaga histrionica "Tado"

Ranitomeya variabilis "Southern"
    Ranitomeya imitator "Varadero"
    Ranitomeya sirensis "Lower Ucayali"
    Ranitomeya vanzolinii

http://www.fernsfrogs.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ferns.frogs

Nationality
    [Canada]

Well, that's a relief. I always clean the tanks thoroughly. Even so, I'm still going to get some Panacur-C. It's good to be prepared.

Crickets can be carriers of pinworms? I've heard of pinworms before in cats, but pinworms in crickets is new to me. That's a bit worrying. Would they hurt my frogs if they had them? Also, are there any specific ways to tell if a cricket carries a pinworm? Sorry if this is a lot of questions.

On a quick note: would store-bought nightcrawlers carry parasites?
    My Amphibians:

Nationality
    [Canada]

Quote Originally Posted by Gnag the nameless View Post
    Crickets can be carriers of pinworms? I've heard of pinworms before in cats, but pinworms in crickets is new to me. That's a bit worrying. Would they hurt my frogs if they had them? Also, are there any specific ways to tell if a cricket carries a pinworm? Sorry if this is a lot of questions.
    yes, cats and dogs and humans and a lot of other species can have pinworms, but most of them are specific to host species, people can't get infected with frog pinworms and vise versa. no way to tell if crickets are carriers, you will see tiny white things in a frog poop that will be trying to get away, no need to worry unless you actually see them in a poop, because if so there must be a very big quantities in a frog intestines and that is when you want to get panacur really fast if you don't see them but you notice frog lethargic, loss of appetite, poop changes - then you want to do fecal to make sure they don;t have those nasty creatures.

would store-bought nightcrawlers carry parasites?
    no

Mariah Ingram

Hello fellow Canadians! I live in Vancouver and am stumbling my way around PDF care and looking for nearby Leucs breeders or shows or swaps or anything along those likes. Any ideas? or advice on anything you think I should know. I have my tank set up mainly just playing with humidity and substrate,

Thread Information