Thread: New Baby - Feeding Question

Ian

Default New Baby - Feeding Question

I finally got my baby pixie frog and have a couple quick questions for anyone with experience and some free time.

I was browsing the forum, reading about feeding amounts, but a lot of the posts related to babies seem to be frogs bigger than mine. (Frequent references to the occasional rodent.)

My frog is probably almost the size of a half dollar and is happily eating crickets.

(He.. or she finally buried itself last night and it was fun to see it burst out on an unsuspecting snack.)

So how much should I feed it? I know I should offer food daily, but what's a good quantity?

Right now I'm doing 1 medium cricket twice a day. (See picture for size of cricket vs frog)
    (I'm going out this weekend for appropriately sized worms for variety.)

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

-Ian

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: New Baby - Feeding Question

hey where is a picture? congrats on getting a frog and welcome to the forum.

for your question. simple 15 rule applies for babies - feed as much as he can in 15 min every day, it might be 5-8 (+/-) crickets at a time or dubia equivalent or pieces of nightcrawler. make sure food items are appropriate size, yours medium ( 3 weeks) sounds reasonable.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Lija View Post
    hey where is a picture? congrats on getting a frog and welcome to the forum.

for your question. simple 15 rule applies for babies - feed as much as he can in 15 min every day, it might be 5-8 (+/-) crickets at a time or dubia equivalent or pieces of nightcrawler. make sure food items are appropriate size, yours medium ( 3 weeks) sounds reasonable.
    Thanks for the info.

I'll be sure to get some nightcrawlers this weekend, dubias have been vetoed by the wife...

Here's another try at the picture...

Name:  photo.JPG
Views: 193
Size:  141.8 KB

Nationality
    [Canada]

awe so tiny and so pretty, i would get smaller crickets for him then the one in the pic, easier to catch, easier to swallow and digest., make sure you dust them with Ca/vitd3 supplement every secound feeding and once a week - multivitamins powder.
    substrate seems to be not moist enough.

lol - you can tell your wife that dubias are not stinky and won't escape, crickets in comparison however .... lol a big pain i must say
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Lija View Post
    awe so tiny and so pretty, i would get smaller crickets for him then the one in the pic, easier to catch, easier to swallow and digest., make sure you dust them with Ca/vitd3 supplement every secound feeding and once a week - multivitamins powder.
    substrate seems to be not moist enough.

lol - you can tell your wife that dubias are not stinky and won't escape, crickets in comparison however .... lol a big pain i must say
    That picture was just for size reference. He didn't actually eat that one.
    I did let him try, but I think he gave up after some embarrassing attempts.

It was dusted, but swam through the water dish during its escape!

(Here's a "where's waldo" pic...)
    Name:  Buried.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  106.3 KB

Thanks again for the suggestions.

-Ian

I wish I could name him, but I don't actually know that it is a "him"...

Augustus Gloop comes to mind.

Or perhaps Rasputin the Mad Frog to go with my dumpy who has been named Napoleon Bonafrog. But then I would need 2 more frogs. (That reference might be lost on some...)

Nationality
    [Canada]

lol you will know in a couple of months if it is she or he and by the way - the more frogs the better lol

annawolv1010

mine is about the same size i feed him or her 6 (1/2 size) crickets a day and it eats them like a beast

Nationality
    [United States]

I remember when mine were that sz. They were insane during feeding time. Seemed like they were just as hungry after the 10th cricket as they were the first lol. They ate anywhere from 5-10 small crickets along with cut up worms. Check out your local Walmart & grab a tub of 20 Canadian nightcrawlers in the fishing section. They should be right around $3. Make sure to open the lid and inspect them first! Poke the dirt or shake the tub a little to see if theyre lively. I have come across a bad batch one time or another. Some Walmarts may not be on top of their stock so always check first. And of course at this sz, be sure to cut them up. Good luck w your new pyxi!

Thread Information